Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Where's the Best Place to Live with your Effie?

Old 09-12-2008, 09:40 AM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
WALFORD'S 56 has a great reputation on FTE.WALFORD'S 56 has a great reputation on FTE.WALFORD'S 56 has a great reputation on FTE.WALFORD'S 56 has a great reputation on FTE.WALFORD'S 56 has a great reputation on FTE.WALFORD'S 56 has a great reputation on FTE.
You can take your retirement to Florida and live large,and I know many that have done it. California----Florida and they ALL love it. I still laugh when this lady friend retired from L.A. and came to New Port Richey--and she was astounded at how cheap homes and such were. I said----that is because you came from Ca. and the land of extremely high prices. Just a thought-----I do not live there yr. round---as it takes a few summers to get used to it. New Mexico sounds great--but I heard of some bad-gang activities--but they are all over!!

Old 09-12-2008, 10:54 AM
rcav8or
If you use it, SUPPORT IT
rcav8or is starting off with a positive reputation.
Stay the he!! out of Indiana! Cold, cold winters, "not much snow" is "not much over 3 feet", hot and muggy when it's not cold, and about as "red" a state as you can get. Did I mention I moved here from Southern California, 20 years ago, and never looked back? Property's reasonable, and winter is just for "building", whether it be trucks or model airplanes. From where I am, Indy is 1 1/2 hours away, Chicago 1 1/2 hours the other way, and there's a LOT of car shows within 3 hours of here, all summer long.

But, would I retire here, if I didn't live here? Probably not, I'd look around northern Kentucky, personally. Somewhat close to where Terry (Truxx) lives, I've only been there once, but it was beautiful, and I've "heard" the cost of living it relatively inexpensive. But, I'm rooted here, now, and it's pretty nice, except for the "red".

R

Old 09-12-2008, 05:08 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Jag Red 54 View Post
These are sounding like very likely choices, except I'm not sure Penn Dick is really trying to help. Dick, is that some sort of cry for help?

I'm making my list and then starting the research on the internet. I think this is the start of a huge road trip, or three.

Nice input everyone, any other nominations? Jag
Jag
It's a statement of Fact.
If you come here looking, it's your own doing.
As for me - Viet Nam, Korea, End of the Aluetian Islands, Las Vegas, So-Cal - Erie ain't bad at all.
Oh - Did I forget to mention Turkey, and extensive visits to what my Employers referred to as Southwest Asia (Lots of sand, I mean LOTS.)

Old 09-12-2008, 05:31 PM
TxF100
Senior User
TxF100 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I'd vote for the Texas Hill Country, near Austin or San Antonio. There are tons of great small towns like Kerrville, Fredricksberg, and many many others.

I bought 12 ares in Bandera county (not far from Kerrville or San Antonio) to build my retirement/ country home. Cool things is your living near small towns and yet you have the second largerst city in Texas just 40 mins away. Lots of great medical, shops and things to do. Weather is dry (not a bunch of rust) and mild most of the year. Land is still a steal compared to the rest of the country. I moved to Texas after living in Orange Country and San Bernadino County and have to say I really like the people here. Lots of old Truck and Car shows to boot. IMHO

Old 09-12-2008, 10:01 PM
seaves46
Elder User
seaves46 has a great reputation on FTE.seaves46 has a great reputation on FTE.seaves46 has a great reputation on FTE.seaves46 has a great reputation on FTE.seaves46 has a great reputation on FTE.
Pack up and come down to Australia.
No hurricanes or tornadoes, no earthquakes, no snow or freezing winters,very friendly people,no health insurance , no worries you'll still get looked after, plenty of work for the willing, some very nice scenery and places to settle down,
I could go on and on all day

Old 09-13-2008, 06:08 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Post Fiend
GreatNorthWoods is a splendid one to beholdGreatNorthWoods is a splendid one to beholdGreatNorthWoods is a splendid one to beholdGreatNorthWoods is a splendid one to beholdGreatNorthWoods is a splendid one to beholdGreatNorthWoods is a splendid one to beholdGreatNorthWoods is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by seaves46 View Post
Pack up and come down to Australia.
No hurricanes or tornadoes, no earthquakes, no snow or freezing winters,very friendly people,no health insurance , no worries you'll still get looked after, plenty of work for the willing, some very nice scenery and places to settle down,
I could go on and on all day
Sounds great. I'm packin' my bags now!

Old 09-13-2008, 07:22 AM
Brian_B
Postmaster
Brian_B is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Just a minor note: If you do not like hurricanes...you probably do not want to move a whole lot further south than where I am. We got storms out of Katrina the last time and are supposed to get heavy rain this afternoon from Ike.

I can handle the storms...not hurricanes.

Although...it could put a damper on the car show today (pun intended). Gotta grab a few things and head out now.

Old 09-13-2008, 02:19 PM
homade
Posting Guru
homade has a very good reputation on FTE.homade has a very good reputation on FTE.homade has a very good reputation on FTE.homade has a very good reputation on FTE.
I'm kinda partial to northern kentucky myself but it is a pretty nice place to live. We do have some cold and some snow, usually a couple goods snows a year and some cold weather jan-march but the rest of the time it's beautiful. I live half way between Cincinnati,Ohio and Louisville, Ky and 70 miles from Lexington so finding car shows within 50-70 miles is no problem, Ky. Speedway 3 miles and water front property on the Ohio river. cost of living is moderate and property taxes are as low as anywhere, 6% sales tax, so come on down and take a look at kentucky, you'll be glad you did, Garry

Old 09-13-2008, 02:46 PM
low54
Elder User
low54 is starting off with a positive reputation.
well, jag, I live in Central Oregon...lots of warm weather and some snow too, very little rain here in the high desert...the classic cars are in abundance here...and of the best brew too

Old 09-13-2008, 03:49 PM
himmelberg
Posting Guru
himmelberg is starting off with a positive reputation.
Lyndon Johnson asked me to stop here in Texas for two years during our Vietnam misadventure. Having been drafted out of a lovely part of upstate NY and the proximity to the City, you'd have thought I'd be happy to go back there.

I stayed in Texas... Fort Worth, in fact. It hasn't all that much to offer but wasn't a bad place to live and work back then. We came to west Texas about 14 years ago and it has decent weather but little else.

It is hardly a place to retire but I like it here. In the process of downsizing from a big city with country amenities (or vice/versa), to a medium sized city, to a small city makes my next move to a small town. Maybe Marfa.

Central Texas is real nice but too many people for me. Seems a lot of folk are moving to rapidly expanding population centers in Tx. If you move 12 miles outside of a growing place you will soon be inundated by new developments. This has been my DFW experience.

Good luck on your search.

not retiring soon, himmelberg

Old 09-13-2008, 04:29 PM
raerjim
Posting Guru
raerjim is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I've lived in Florida since 1975, when it was a great place to live. Now, not so much. Too fast paced and crowded. At least this far south. As Bill said, Ocala and points north are still quite nice. Avoid coastal south Florida. It's a nice place to visit, yada yada.. 75% of the population in Florida lives withtin 10 miles of the coast. My .02$

Old 09-13-2008, 10:17 PM
55 dude
Senior User
55 dude is starting off with a positive reputation.
being your in sacramento which really isn't a bad place considering its california. might be time to do some traveling and see some places before uprooting. might decide where your at not so bad. my uncles mother-in-law was living here in washington but grew up in ohio,she decided while back visiting there to purchase a house she had loved since she was small so after selling her current house(sold in 2 days) had my uncle ask to move her,less than a year later she wanted to come back to washington but problem was she coudn't give away the house in ohio and has sold her house here that she lived in for 40+ years. ended up letting a relative stay in ohio house and moved back here into a apartment. so don't be too hasty to "sell the fort". sorry for the long winded response.

Old 09-13-2008, 11:26 PM
papabills54
Senior User
papabills54 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Vegas

Las Vegas, is a great place to retire in. No state tax, great weather year round, Super run 2008 is comming up Sept 26,27,28 in Henderson, Nevada, and we have small car shows somewhere it town almost every week. Not to mention were not that far from California, that you couldn't make a quick trip down for one of the bigger shows. We also have the Laughlin shows and lake havasu shows which are pretty good shows to go to as well. 1/2 acre lots are out there with any size house you want and at a pretty good price right now with the housing market the way it is. It a little tough for some folks here right now but Vegas will be back to its old self by the time your ready to make your move. I have a half acre, 3400sq ft house with a three car garge and built another two car garage for the little woman for her stuff. If you know what I mean. Pops

Old 09-14-2008, 12:53 AM
wmjoe1953
Postmaster
wmjoe1953 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.wmjoe1953 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I would say Nevada, or Central/Southern Oregon. Nice dry climates (I mean the humidity is rarely high), and the old iron lasts for years and years. Oregon has no sales tax, and we just looked at 15 acres for $35000. If you get into the cities, the property taxes suck, but if you stay out of town a bit, it's very cheap. We get snow, but the amount varies drastically. I think last year, we had maybe 4" total snow on the valley floors throughout the entire season. (I mean 1/2" one day, maybe an inch a week or two later, and so on). I do, however, have to agree with some of the guys. Do some looking. If you are an arthritis sufferer, you want a warm dry climate, with low humidity year round. If you want access to old cars and trucks that are full of rust and crap, then again, warm dry climate. We considered the south, but the humidity is very high, and I would not willingly take my kids from a relatively safe and mild climate, to an area prone for tornadoes and hurricane aftermath. Up here in central Oregon, they consider this to be one of the last frontiers (I think that Montana or the Dakotas would be accurate for that), by that I mean, in the city, guns are associated with crime, here, they're associated with back windows of a pick up truck. We have lots of farms, and lots of scenery. Do your homework, and search with an open mind.

Old 09-15-2008, 01:50 PM
Jag Red 54
Postmaster
Jag Red 54 has a very good reputation on FTE.Jag Red 54 has a very good reputation on FTE.Jag Red 54 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Wow, good stuff! Oregon does sound attractive, but so does Kentucky, Nevada, Texas, Oklahoma, Australia etc. It seems obvious that we will have to tour these places. (My Tom Tom can't find Australia)

I will have to set priorities:

As of right now:

1. Cost of living and housing
2. Quality of living
3. Taxes
4. Car shows

Any other nominations? Thanks, Jag

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Where's the Best Place to Live with your Effie?

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.