General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Your thoughts on Pickens Plan...

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 11:36 PM
fordtruckman
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Your thoughts on Pickens Plan...

I have been seeing this guys commercial like crazy so i checked out his website. Its pretty interesting idea. If natural gas was available at every station I'd pay to get my truck converted. What do you guys think about this, would it be possible to convert this country to natural gas?

PickensPlan Link

Old 09-10-2008, 11:59 PM
Ryan50hrl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I like it....but i'm guessing he owns a lot of CNG infrastructure...so i doubt its 100 percent motive free

Old 09-11-2008, 12:10 AM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
I think he has some good thoughts. Any good businessman has motives, you can't fault him because of that. That is how we got a lot of the things we have. I believe we need to make a change from fossil fuel. The sooner we do it the better off we will be IMHO. People don't look for new inventions just to do it, I believe most have a motive if even small to pay for there investment or make life easier.
So to answer the question I like Pickens & his plan.

Old 09-11-2008, 09:27 AM
cmpd1781
Post Fiend
A good basic formula....but with serious caveats.

The windmills HAVE to be placed well away from populated areas (I know, I know...the Great Plains are relatively sparse). The noise reportedly warps people out.

I don't know about the total percentage, but regarding being a 'do-it-now/stopgap', it's about the quickest way to do it. Someone already mentioned the CNG infrastructure. There's also a push for people to have home CNG systems so they could tank themselves.

Keep in mind, Pickens IS for drilling, and IS for nuclear. The CNG/windmill thing is to cover that period until other stuff is online, and other alternatives are forthcoming.

Old 09-11-2008, 10:26 AM
freirefishing
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i think pickens has great ideas. i also know he has more money than god,and not to many years left in the old timer. made bookoo bucks off of oil,and is now in favor of getting off of foreign oil. high gas has crippled this economy. maybe hes feeling guilty with his billions made in oil?lol

Old 09-11-2008, 10:49 AM
Dean88
Postmaster
Originally Posted by cmpd1781
A good basic formula....but with serious caveats.

The windmills HAVE to be placed well away from populated areas (I know, I know...the Great Plains are relatively sparse). The noise reportedly warps people out.

All do respect no they don't, there is a windmill less than a mile from my house and I can barely hear them. The money that the windmills pay make the noise nothing more than a rythmic sleep sound

Old 09-11-2008, 10:52 AM
freirefishing
Postmaster
yeah were still trying to get people with ocean front property to get used to the ideas of windmills in the ocean.
we'll se how it turns out,im not holding my breath

Old 09-12-2008, 04:09 PM
rebocardo
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I do not think natural gas or CNG is the way to go. But, it would be a good start to convert heavy local polluters to it such as trucks and buses that refill at a common fleet point.

Wind power I think is vastly under used and under rated. I think it is a great resource since it is 100% renewable.

Old 09-12-2008, 05:19 PM
bf250
Post Fiend
Nothing is going to work unless there is a dramatic cut in consumption.

Old 09-12-2008, 06:51 PM
70blue
Postmaster
I think it is a great start in the right direction. I also agree with bf250 conservation is key as well.

Old 09-12-2008, 09:53 PM
stu37d
Government Teat-sucker

But wait, there's more to it than meets the eye!

Kirby Mountain: Puttin' the Boone (Pickens) in Boondoggle

I heard about this on the radio a couple weeks ago. Pickens is about to become the largest water baron in the world.

At Pickens' behest, the Texas legislature changed state law to allow the two residents of an 8-acre parcel of land in Roberts County to vote to create a municipal water district, a government agency with eminent domain powers. Who were the voters? They were Pickens' wife and the manager of Pickens' nearby ranch. And who sits on the board of directors of this water district? They are the parcel's three other non-resident landowners, all Pickens' employees.

A member of a local water conservation board told Bloomberg News that "[Pickens has] obtained the right of eminent domain like he was a big city. It's supposed to be for the public good, not a private company."

What's this got to do with Pickens' wind-power plan? Just as he needs pipelines to sell his water, he also needs transmission lines to sell his wind-generated power. Rights of way for transmission lines are also acquired through eminent domain -- and, once again, the Texas legislature has come to Pickens' aid.

Earlier this year, Texas changed its law to allow renewable energy projects (like Pickens' wind farm) to obtain rights-of-way by piggybacking on a water district's eminent domain power. So Pickens can now use his water district's authority to also condemn land for his future wind farm's transmission lines

Old 09-12-2008, 09:57 PM
1985 Ford F-150
Elder User
If hes gonna pay to have my vehicles converted and put stations in everywhere then im ok with it but untill then no way am I gonna pay that much to convert my truck that is already runnin fine.