1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

gas mileage myth

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 11:00 AM
Club Wagon
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I think you'd find it impossible to control the wind's speed & direction.

Originally Posted by preppypyro
I think the only way to fully test this whole theory, would be to make the exact same trip, but change the speed to 75mph on the way there, and 62 on the return trip. The variable would be that.

Its not black and white.
IMO, barring an odd technical problem w/avator's truck that wastes fuel at the lower speed, it is "black and white" that these aerodynamically challenged pickups consume more gas at 75 than 62. It takes more work to go faster & that takes more fuel. There's no free lunch.

Old 09-11-2008, 11:05 AM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Its not just about the wind speed and direction of the wind, elevation could play a factor. Thats where the variables start...

Like I said before, a test like this needs to be done one way, then the opposite way for it to be somewhat accurate, and should be done many times over and over to be able to claim it as debunking a myth.

I didnt mean to imply in post 29 that by just going the opposite direction would be totally accurate, I meant to say it as it would be a little more accurate!

Club, your right, the wind resistance has a huge effect on any vehicle with power, speed, and mileage.

On edit: yeah Yo george has got it right, I didnt read your reply before I wrote this one

Old 09-11-2008, 02:41 PM
xtrford
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another point to be made about hp/torque ratios is my truck burned more fuel as torque went and hp went down (yes, my scangauge read that as well) and the opposite when torque went down. Torque in general measures the amount of work done by an engine, as it works less it requires less fuel. I found myself glued to the scangauge display as my truck encountered hills both up and down and wind resistance pending how strong. It will aslo calculate what mpg's were done the day before and total mpg's for the whole take and not just live data. Unless you have one of these units you are always going to be off in your calculations to some degree.....I highly recommend the scangauge as it is the best addition I have done to my truck so far.

Old 09-11-2008, 03:29 PM
B's FX4
Senior User
well ive never really sat down and did the math on my truck cuz i know the mpgs are bad, however i did find out that my truck is most efficent when it is parked backwards in the garage . tank of gas lasts a few weeks in there for some reason

Old 09-11-2008, 11:31 PM
ATC Crazy
Hotshot
Received 2,730 Likes on 1,328 Posts
Originally Posted by Club Wagon
Fascinating theory.

What were FORD engineers thinking when they designed my F150 to go turnpike speeds at around 2200 RPM when "it takes less fuel to keep it"...."at a higher RPM"?

Another myth debunked.
It's in your nature to start something with anyone who has a different opinion that you isn't it?

Since your reading comprehension is bad, I will explain it further to you. I said MY truck. Not yours. Not Bobs. Not your boyfriends. MINE. It's been said a million times. Every vehicle is different.

Originally Posted by Nitramjr
So you are saying we should all ditch overdrive and run at highway speeds in drive? Or second gear? I think it would take about one tankfull to show that lower rpm (speed being constant) gives better mileage.
It all depends on the vehicle in question. With MY truck, I have used OD twice on the interstate in the 3 years I've had it. Both times resulted in a 3-4mpg lower reading than when I didn't use OD on the same stretch of road, going the same speed. With MY truck, I have to use about 50% throttle input to maintain 1800RPM's @ 60 mph in OD. Out of OD, I can maintain 2450RPM's @ 60mph with about 20% throttle input.

Now, If I go back to stock 255 or even 245 series tires, then I could probably use OD more often and increase my MPG readings.

Old 09-12-2008, 02:08 AM
BURNSTOUGHFORD
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by preppypyro
D-rated tires are 8 ply

sorry i meant E load... hears the link

Mickey Thompson Performance Tires & Wheels

265/70/17

Old 09-12-2008, 02:18 AM
BURNSTOUGHFORD
Posting Guru
when i say black and white i mean its not that simple and there is more affecting it than the obvious reasons....

Every truck is different and respond differently to load(wind, hills, throttle) ... you take 10 trucks identically made by ford and do the same tests, i bet they all result in the same MPG( give or take .5) ... there are so many different combination of our trucks its damn near impossible to generalize em... there just different...

I love my truck... And i will NEVER sell it... it will ROT in my garage before i see it sold to scrap... i will either enjoy driving it.. or enjoy looking at it ( heaven forbid fuel goes above $15/gal)

Old 09-12-2008, 12:21 PM
Club Wagon
Posting Guru
Speaking of bad "reading comprehension" guess you missed "IMO, barring an odd technical problem w/avator's truck that wastes fuel at the lower speed, it is "black and white" that these aerodynamically challenged pickups consume more gas at 75 than 62." That exemption obviously goes for other individual vehicles. Of course odd exceptions don't "debunk" the alleged "gas mileage myth". "MY truck" is stock, as FORD engineers designed it, making it perfectly representative of millions of other F150's just like it. Its 'YOUR truck' that is markedly "different" leaving your input somewhat irrelevant to this discussion.

Originally Posted by ATC Crazy
Since your reading comprehension is bad, I will explain it further to you. I said MY truck. Not yours. Not Bobs. Not your boyfriends. MINE. It's been said a million times. Every vehicle is different.
The topic was avator's MPG comparisons, which implied everything remained the same except speed, w/specific range. This presumes high gear at different speeds. No need to derail into modified pickups that can only rarely be driven in OD, struggle to get 8-10 MPG, or differences between gears "@ 60 mph" only.

Contrary to your "black and white" claim, "Every vehicle is" in fact the same in atleast 1 regard-ALL are subject to increasing air drag w/increasing speed. Outside of very specific anomolies, the generally accepted FACT that MPG declines w/increased cruising speed (certainly in the 62-75 MPH range) remains true for virtually "Every vehicle". Vehicles w/faults or mods that compromise design certainly can exhibit an endless variety of problems in any speed range.

Old 09-12-2008, 01:40 PM
Deebo
Senior User
Well,
All I can tell you guys is that my truck doesn't get good gas mileage at all.
This last July it got only 8.5 miles per gallon pulling a 4500lb camper...totally expected.
I'm not complaining and I sure can't pull the camper with my Escape.
I might get 12mpg not pulling anything.. So everyone in here getting 17mpg with a 5.4 if any...hats off to you!

Old 09-12-2008, 01:57 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Guys...cool it NOW...no personal attacks.

Old 09-12-2008, 02:39 PM
BURNSTOUGHFORD
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Club Wagon
Speaking of bad "reading comprehension" guess you missed "IMO, barring an odd technical problem w/avator's truck that wastes fuel at the lower speed, it is "black and white" that these aerodynamically challenged pickups consume more gas at 75 than 62." That exemption obviously goes for other individual vehicles. Of course odd exceptions don't "debunk" the alleged "gas mileage myth". "MY truck" is stock, as FORD engineers designed it, making it perfectly representative of millions of other F150's just like it. Its 'YOUR truck' that is markedly "different" leaving your input somewhat irrelevant to this discussion.

The topic was avator's MPG comparisons, which implied everything remained the same except speed, w/specific range. This presumes high gear at different speeds. No need to derail into modified pickups that can only rarely be driven in OD, struggle to get 8-10 MPG, or differences between gears "@ 60 mph" only.

Contrary to your "black and white" claim, "Every vehicle is" in fact the same in atleast 1 regard-ALL are subject to increasing air drag w/increasing speed. Outside of very specific anomolies, the generally accepted FACT that MPG declines w/increased cruising speed (certainly in the 62-75 MPH range) remains true for virtually "Every vehicle". Vehicles w/faults or mods that compromise design certainly can exhibit an endless variety of problems in any speed range.

i never said anything about increasing speed and increasing resistance.... that is completely true... all im saying is that there are tons of factors to consider and some of them are not always obvious... relax man, you take things to personal

Old 09-13-2008, 01:58 AM
Club Wagon
Posting Guru
avator's "gas mileage myth" premise clearly attempted to rest on just the single factor, change in speed from 62-75, which is perfectly fair. Unfortunately "tons of other factors" where not "considered" when he concluded he'd "debunked" it.

Originally Posted by BURNSTOUGHFORD
all im saying is that there are tons of factors to consider and some of them are not always obvious...
While it is possible to drive essentially in the wrong gears at the wrong speeds & purposely skew intended design parameters, resulting in impractical MPG anomalies-these exceptions don't alter the general facts of normal driving. Of course they don't apply to avator's original premise either, which presumes normal cruising speeds in high gear & the same mix of shifting.

More importantly, anyone driving w/the intention of maximizing MPG would not go there.

Nothing "personal" or mythical about it. Purely physics & common sense.

Old 09-17-2008, 08:19 PM
whalebird
Senior User
just for the record, torque and horsepower meet at 5252rpm. all engines all cars all the time.

Old 09-18-2008, 07:57 AM
Nitramjr
Postmaster

Originally Posted by whalebird
just for the record, torque and horsepower meet at 5252rpm. all engines all cars all the time.
Here is a great read about whalebirds statement....

http://www.vettenet.org/torquehp.html

I also know for fact that at 0 RPM, HP and torque are equal for ANY internal combustion motor.

Last edited by Nitramjr; 09-18-2008 at 08:07 AM. Reason: corrected myself
Old 09-18-2008, 12:16 PM
4literranger485
New User
got some good information coming out here!

Quick Reply: gas mileage myth