West Virginia Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: 5_labsownus

Hay Dave,(or any one)

Old 09-17-2008, 08:09 PM
wvbobsmith
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Gang,

I am still around. I have been on a lot of web sites about Dana's and have not yet identified my axle. I went to the Ford Garage in Fairmont with the tag numbers and they call it a Dana 44 3.3m ( Does the 3.3m mean 3300# rating?) The window sticker that came with the truck (yea, I still got it) says it has a 5300# Dana 60 Limited Slip rear axle. It does not describe the front axle. Does knowing what the rear axle is help identify the front axle? My front axle has the closed knuckle and small hubs. The stub is 9 5/8" from the center of the universal cap to the end (give or take a tiny little bit) and it has 19 splines at 1 1/4" dia. The inner is 18 7/8" with 30 splines at 1 1/4" dia. Now remember, I am a carpenter, not a machinist. My measurements are with a tape measure, not a micrometer. Pick-Up City can order one, but they have to know the rating which is on a tag in the drivers door opening, but I have changed cabs. They have no way to cross reference. I haven't called any salvage yards yet just hoping to get one quick and easy locally. We will figure it out someday. Thanks for any help!!!C

Crazyredneck,

I work for March-Westin and I am on the HealthPlex job at this time.

I've never typed this much in my life

Bob, AKA BS

Old 09-17-2008, 08:28 PM
crazyredneckanyhow
Post Fiend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah you have a dana 44 hd. Not downgrading your truck but that front is pretty much junk. crappy brakes, crappy turning radius and hard to get parts for.

Yeah i hope they shoot whoever set the fire down there. We have to remake that big window and the frames that go on each side of it. Easy to get to GL wilson from healthplex. Just go strait across from the mall infairmont down by pickup city and keep goin all the way to the bridgeport side of rt 73 and we are next to napa.

I have a completely rebuilt front from a 77. It is still low pinion but it is open knuckle and disc brake. Only has bout 1500 mi on the rebuild. Stop in at work and im in the bakc. We can work somethin out if your interested.

Old 09-17-2008, 08:48 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
http://www2.dana.com/pdf/5310-3.PDF

Download this .pdf file, open it and then scroll down to page 20 for the closed knuckle Dana 44.

Identification of Dana axles is on page 5.

Old 09-17-2008, 08:49 PM
msgtg
Post Fiend
Hey BS....(I'm gonna have to get used to that!!!), I've sent you an e-mail about your state chapter membership. Have you responded? I've been checking the junk mail file just to make sure that your e-mail didn't get trapped there...but I'm still waiting to hear from you.

Joe

Old 09-17-2008, 08:58 PM
wvbobsmith
Freshman User
Joe,

I will get the info you need sent out right a way.

Thanks.

BS

Old 09-17-2008, 09:24 PM
wvbobsmith
Freshman User
Hey Dave , Thank for the Dana link. Good one!

Crazy, We quit at 3:30. If I came down then would you still be around or should we plan on meeting somewhere else? I might be interested in another front end.

BS

Old 09-17-2008, 10:19 PM
crazyredneckanyhow
Post Fiend

hey im there til 430 at least.

Old 09-18-2008, 10:55 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Perfect run for the Motto Guzzi so you can cool off after work Bob.

No rain for the next 10 days according to the Weather Channel.

You could even ride over to Mannington to meet Dave, but let me know when, I want to be along the road with my camera.

That is going to be a classic picture of the Guzzi with the axle strapped across the back on the return trip.

Old 09-19-2008, 07:56 PM
wvbobsmith
Freshman User
If you could see some of the loads that I have tied on motorcycles, you might not be to surprised if you saw me coming at you looking like a cross. I think my saddlebags are wide enough to carry the axle.

Seriously now, before I would take on the job of changing the whole axle, you guys would have to tell me all about just what I should expect to do to complete the job. I have not done this before. I like the idea of disc brakes, but what I have now will stop the truck. It seems like just putting in a new axle shaft would be a lot easier. So, give me some pro's and con's.

Crazy; I'll call before I stop by just in case you're busy. Hay, Thursday, we cut up the big window with a sawsall. I hope you make us a new one.

BS

Old 09-19-2008, 09:39 PM
crazyredneckanyhow
Post Fiend

bob did you come to the contractor shootout a couple years ago with the shotgun on your bike?

Old 09-19-2008, 10:02 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

I have to get my bike back on the road.

It needs a lot of shining and a bit of paint work before I do that though.
That picture was taken in Colorado several years ago.

150 HP on a 485 pound bike, FUN.

Old 09-19-2008, 11:04 PM
crazyredneckanyhow
Post Fiend

im surprised its not powered by a 6.9

Old 09-20-2008, 07:31 AM
wvbobsmith
Freshman User
Yea, Crazy, that was me. I've been to the shootout 2 times now and I hope to participate again. I really enjoy that. I think I was on the Honda.

Nice ride ,Dave. Shine 'er up

BS

Old 10-01-2008, 12:15 AM
dieselguy2008
Senior User
OKOKOK!! There isnt that much in Fairmont so ease up on the lil town (HAHA), someone say Hinton????? Cant beat the hotdog's at the DQ down there. I love fishing Bluestone and below the dam. Especially where the New and Greenbriar join. DANG I miss that! Guess I'll be up this weekend to do some damage in the woods if it dont get too awful chilly. I found about a pound of ginsing last weekend so I'll try again this weekend.

Old 10-01-2008, 07:14 PM
wvbobsmith
Freshman User
I'll be in Hinton this weekend. If all goes as planned, msgtg and I will meet Thursday afternoon. I am looking forward to or meeting. I also like that area. I have not fished the river, but I just like to watch it go by.

See Ya 'round,
BS

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hay Dave,(or any one)