1974 Ford Cummins Crew cab

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 01:36 PM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I have no clue if it's regs or what.

If I have to turn up the compressor for the thing to work better I will. Not there yet though.

I was back in the shop last night for a brief work night. I pulled more of the factory brake lines & fuel lines out and started looking at how I wanted to tie the new brake lines into the existing rear axle setup which I will be re-doing when I put the corp 14 in later.

I also made & welded in the tab for the trailer brake controller.

No pics as I currently can't find my camera

SLOW, but at least somewhat steady progress though!

Old 05-14-2012, 03:58 PM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
I had a short hour or so at the shop on Sat. but it wasn't much time.

I did a little bit more on the brake lines & then ADD kicked in (and some paint was drying on the brake area) so I started to mess with the down pipe again.

Can't remember what brand it was but it's 4" & I got it "used" (new, never installed) off cumminsforum for cheap. Aside from the bend at the bottom which points towards the trans rather than straight back & also ends about dead center on my trans x-member it looks like it was made for the truck. The top bends match perfectly with the floor, etc.

A quick cut on it was all I had time for after bolting it in & looking but I'll get back to it soon.

For now - here's some pics.

Downpipe in

There's about 1/2" - 3/4" gap all along the floor. If it get's too hot I hay have to ceramic coat the downpipe.

The business end of things - getting too much into the tranny's business so a little cutting was needed.

And this is how I left it. I'll pick it back up (literally - it's sitting on the shop floor just like this) whenever I make it back in

Old 05-15-2012, 02:19 AM
Towmanjbo
Cargo Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I see you found your camera, looks good!

Old 05-15-2012, 12:40 PM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
yup camera was located. Obviously I can't live without it - haha

Now if I could just find a free week or 2 to hit the shop full time I'd be driving this bad boy...

Old 05-15-2012, 03:41 PM
mjshagnasty
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So by the end of the summer we get a vid of this thing finally leaving the shop under its own power...

Old 05-15-2012, 03:43 PM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
I wish but I doubt it. My wedding is at the end of this summer & is a higher priority so this is a "spare time" deal around that.

Old 05-16-2012, 02:13 AM
Towmanjbo
Cargo Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wedding? Congrats man!!

Old 05-16-2012, 01:35 PM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
Thanks. And yes. Getting married Sept. 29th. Got engaged on St. Patrick's Day.

Old 05-16-2012, 07:13 PM
grinnergetter
Cargo Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Congrats on the engagement...hope you found a good one.

I've spent the last few afternoons trying to figure out my tig welder and so far I have to say that I have a loooong way to go and a whole lot of respect for the nice welds you turn out.

Are you laying down most those welds in one pass? When I try to weld up a piece perpendicular to a flat I end up not being able to get the puddle started before blowing through the upright piece. I try to keep the heat away from the upright until I'm ready on the bottom piece but it just isn't working. Anyway, I have to shut up now.

Sorry

Old 05-16-2012, 08:55 PM
piratius
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by grinnergetter
Are you laying down most those welds in one pass? When I try to weld up a piece perpendicular to a flat I end up not being able to get the puddle started before blowing through the upright piece. I try to keep the heat away from the upright until I'm ready on the bottom piece but it just isn't working. Anyway, I have to shut up now.
Are the two pieces of metal the same thickness? What about the angle are you keeping the gun and rod at? I messed around with TIG a little bit - I could make sloppy beads, but they were airtight. This was after spending a good amount of time on a MIG/Fluxcore machine.

And Chase - congrats! Getting married is definitely an experience.

-Brad

Old 05-16-2012, 09:22 PM
grinnergetter
Cargo Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
It is the same thickness and I've been trying at various angles, HF start and regular. Less dig, more dig.

Yea, I'm having fun.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:17 PM
Fordworth
Laughing Gas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ChaseTruck754
I wish but I doubt it. My wedding is at the end of this summer & is a higher priority so this is a "spare time" deal around that.
It's hard to imagine a higher priority than the truck. Sounds like another excuse for slow progress to me. Next winter it will be, "Got a baby on the way so no time for the truck this week." (Just messin' wicha homey)

I can vouch for his chick - she's cool.

Old 05-21-2012, 05:58 PM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver

I've spent the last few afternoons trying to figure out my tig welder and so far I have to say that I have a loooong way to go and a whole lot of respect for the nice welds you turn out.

Sorry
Yes my beads are all one pass. It just takes a bit of practice & messing with the amperage & torch angle to figure it out. I'm been TIG welding for about 10 years or so now so that helps too.

Originally Posted by Fordworth
It's hard to imagine a higher priority than the truck. Sounds like another excuse for slow progress to me. Next winter it will be, "Got a baby on the way so no time for the truck this week." (Just messin' wicha homey)

I can vouch for his chick - she's cool.
Yes she's cool & yes it's no good excuse. Life will always get in the way, but I can't really control that too much. If I just hang on and push through I will drive it at some point

And on that note - how about an update? It's not much at all, but hey - it's progress. I got a quick hour in the shop yesterday afternoon after getting back from camping and then another short bit this morning before work. I got the hard line for the brakes run down the frame rail. Tonight I go back to the lines inside the cab & hopefully a bit of exhaust too. Then time to buy more fittings/parts before I can make progress again...

Old 05-22-2012, 04:08 PM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
Back to work last night and had another ADD night so a bunch of random, small stuff got started...

1st it was looking at the fuel feed line. Made a bracket for that & figured out how long of a flex line I'd need so I could order it today.

Then I started messing with the dash and brake lines running to the prop valve & line lock.
I put the dash in and really like the prop. valve how I did it.

I'm not sold yet on the other 2 but I'm hoping they grow on me as I am too lazy to redo them. Also I was wondering why the nut I ordered for the line lock hadn't gotten here yet & when I went online to check order status they said the thing was on back order & would ship June 4th. I ordered it about May 4th. I REALLY wish they'd tell you stuff was on back order BEFORE you paid for the order...

Once I got the dash in I started looking at how to plumb this mess. Here's a shot of the stuff behind the dash.

I ran one of the hard lines from the firewall to the prop. valve. & figured out how to do the line from the prop valve to the line lock so I could order that this morning.

I then started looking at running the line from the line lock back to the firewall & out. It was at this point I figured I should start looking at the reinforcing plate for the clutch since I'd have to drill both the firewall & this for the 2nd brake line. I got the thing fitted & most of the holes drilled before shutting down.

I stopped by the hose place on thew way to work this morning & ordered a few custom lines & a bunch of fittings. I need to order my stainless line for the fuel feed & return lines as well as a few other brake lines/fittings and the brake system will be set for now.

More to come soon hopefully.

Old 05-22-2012, 11:52 PM
fordtrucknut
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did you ever figure out what size fuel line you are going to be running? I saved part of my fuel lines from the 94 Dodge...They look to be 3/8"

Quick Reply: 1974 Ford Cummins Crew cab