1974 Ford Cummins Crew cab

Old 10-29-2008, 11:31 AM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I got a couple boxes of parts and they were dirty/nasty, so I spent more time than I would have liked cleaning them and at the sand blaster last night (where is Suzy when I need her?!?!?). Because of that I didn't finish the tranny cross member. I did get close though.

Here is the intake tube to replace the one that cracked when the motor fell. It's not near as clean as mine was - the paint is chipping and aluminum is oxidizing, so I figured I'd sandblast it. In doing that I had a thought - I've never seen one of these polished, so at this point that is my plan...

Pre sandblasted intake tube and exhaust elbow

More pretty wleds on the tranny x-member

Tranny x-member as I left it last night. It's not done unfortunately, but it is close and looks good. I WILL wrap it up tonight!

Old 10-29-2008, 12:31 PM
73f100shortbed
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just read over the whole thread. Great work. Can't wait to see it all done too!

Old 10-30-2008, 12:52 PM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
I had to help my brother the genius/nerd (aerospace/mechanical engineering dual major with math minor) on a project for school last night, so so I didn't get much time to work on my stuff. It was a cool distraction working with him and hearing about his project though. The freakin kid is making a jet engine with another senior and gets to play with lasers at school!

I did have a little bit of time before he got the to mess with the truck last night - so I test fit the 4" downpipe I got. It fits amazingly well considering it wasn't built for this truck. I'm worried about how this thing will mesh with my new tranny x-member though. I might have to play some tricks with the exhaust route to make it work.
I also did a little sandblasting on the intake while he was sanding for a while. I then tried to work on the tranny x-member a bit again too as I REALLY wanted to wrap that up. I didn't finish the tranny x-member last night, but I made sure to get up before work this morning and lay that last bead down and throw some paint on it

Sandblasted intake tube. Now to mess with polishing it...

Test fit of downpipe

Tranny x-member

Old 10-30-2008, 01:02 PM
BradyCouchman
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
are the two wide holes dimples or just holes?

looking good...thats no suzy is it, i hope is your brother, as those are some hairy legs....

Old 10-30-2008, 01:32 PM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
Those are dimples - I put them in there just for you! Actually the big wings or plates looked too boring. It would look better with a larger dimple - but I couldn't fit one due to the structure underneath.

And yeah - that's my brother. Suzy was in class. It would be SCARRY if those were here legs - haha

Old 10-30-2008, 06:32 PM
Franken-Truck
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lol, some guys are into that "natural" look

Nice work on the swap so far, nice build you have coming together! And from the way you're progressing, you might actually finish it

Soooooo many neato swaps and project have been started on these boards. . .only to be abandoned 2/3 of the way through

Old 10-30-2008, 06:36 PM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
This truck WILL at least drive with the diesel in it. I don't know if it will ever be "done", but I do usually finish what I set my mind to. I have a ton of plans for this truck (chevy 64" rear leafs with a corp 14b axle, d60 front - possibly on a 4 link and coilovers, rhino lined cab and bad, etc., etc.)

Unfortunately I know that "abandoned" feeling as well. I started my ranger about 6 years ago (pics in gallery). It will put this truck to shame as far as fabrication/build, but I keep loosing steam on it and doing side crap (like this crew - haha). I build it for a while, then get distracted by something (buying a house, building a crew cab, etc.). Someday though... The plan is to get back on it once the crew is done, but we'll see. I'm tempted to build a 70's supercab as a preruner next...

Old 10-31-2008, 10:36 AM
BradyCouchman
Post Fiend
isnt that what the ranger is for a preruner? or is it a chase truck...(pun intended)

Old 10-31-2008, 10:48 AM
bendog
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just checkin in. Hope all's well with HRDROKIN, havent seen much from him lately. I've been working out of town, so I cant see progress often, I'm always excited to check. Looking great, Keep it up.

Old 10-31-2008, 12:08 PM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
bendog - I haven't heard anything from HRDROKN either. I think he is still wrapping up his recent move though.

Originally Posted by BradyCouchman
isnt that what the ranger is for a preruner? or is it a chase truck...(pun intended)
The ranger will be either/or. It is pretty much a toy that I will race from time to time when funds permit. I think it will see some use as a prerunner or chase truck if my buddies finish their builds and race. My truck will then be pit support. That's a long way off though - and the crew will serve the chase truck duty if needed in the mean time!

Time for the daily update - not much got done last night. I worked kinda late and when I got home I went to fit the tranny x-member and realized I had a small oversight on fitment. It was rubbing on the tranny mount/bushing bolts, so I had to clearance for that. Of course this would have taken a LOT less time had the thing not been welded together already, but oh well.
I got the thing clearanced and started drilling the mounting holes in the frame, but I only got 3 done before it was too late to make noise outside.

Unfortunately I heard we are supposed to get rain all day this coming sunday. If that is the case I won't get crap done on the truck ALL weekend, since I don't plan on working tonight or tomorrow

here's a couple pics

this is the clearancing needed on the x-member

clearancing done (before paint)

Tranny x-member in to drill the mounting holes in the frame

Old 10-31-2008, 12:11 PM
BradyCouchman
Post Fiend
nice work, i think you already talked about this but are you going to have fron driveline issues?

Old 10-31-2008, 12:18 PM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by BradyCouchman
nice work, i think you already talked about this but are you going to have fron driveline issues?
Haven't touched on the front driveline - but as far as I can tell I shouldn't have issues. I built the crossmember the way I did because I THINK it will clear the front driveshaft at full bump. It sure looks like it will at least. Also it looks like the oil pan should be clear of the front pumpkin at full bump as well. There is no way for me to tell for sure at this point though, as I can't cycle the suspension until I get the motor in there and supporting it's own weight. At that point I don't think I'm going to take the time to change much, since I have a bunch of hours in the motor and tranny mounts already. If something does hit or come close, then I will just "bump" it (limit up travel with a bump stop) before it would hit.

Also - without the 60 in the front yet whatever clears with the 44 now - might not clear on the 60, so I won't know for sure til later anyways...

Old 11-01-2008, 12:00 AM
75F350
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
You could always lift it Steve!
I know, desert guys like it low.

Old 11-03-2008, 09:40 AM
BradyCouchman
Post Fiend
Thanks for letting my stop by steve, great set up you got there!

Old 11-03-2008, 12:16 PM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by 75F350
You could always lift it Steve!
I know, desert guys like it low.
Eh - I like the ride height she's at now. She looks perfect as she is. If anything I might let he sit a little lower - but I doubt that.
If I go any higher then Suzy won't be able to get in. She has trouble getting in it now, and you remember how much of a production it was for her to get in red.

Besides - you mud guys keep um a little top heavy for my liking

Brady - it was nice meeting you this weekend. Thanks for bringing your crew by - it made me want to get done that much more. I miss driving it and I REALLY need to take it camping!!!!!

Ok - as I thought on Friday - not much work got done this weekend. I did sneak some time in on Friday night when I was waiting for Suzy to get here. I got all the tranny cross memeber mounting holes drilled in the frame - so it is in there without the tranny jack under it
Friday night was a long one so Saturday was worthless for progress, and then a raining morning on Sunday forced me to be confined to the garage if I wanted to get anything done. Since I had promised to make something for a buddy, I just did that and got it out of the way.
Sadly it looks like we're gonig to have rain again today, so I may be limited on what I can do. If it's too wet I think I'm going to start modifying my dash for the autometers!

Pic of the tranny mount in

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1974 Ford Cummins Crew cab