HRDROKN
Tuned

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Now that's a doner!

Old 09-22-2008, 04:11 PM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Tell me about it! I got it for $1800, drove it for 6 months or more (it was complete and drove just fine) and now I'm taking what I need from it and parting the rest. Great find for me

Old 09-29-2008, 12:33 PM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
Ok - a little reverse progress and some developments. I didn't have to pit crew at the race this weekend so I had Friday night and Saturday to work. I didn't get as much done as I would have liked, but I did get a bunch of the Dodge torn apart. Anybody need parts????

Slightly new development on tranny (and motor)... I think I have decided to go with the NV4500 and in searching I came across one locally. The guy had it built and never ran it. It comes with most everything I need to run it and for a good price so I think I will grab it. The kicker of the deal is I found it by calling on a motor (newer cummins than I have) for sale. I called and asked what tranny he had behind the motor. Now the cool part is the motor is a newer, P-pump motor (easier to get more power out of) with lower mileage than my current motor. The guy will make me a good deal on the package - so I think I will buy it. Sooooo..... Does anybody need a 1st gen cummins motor with a Chrysler 727 auto tranny for a swap

A few pics - nothin great - just tearing down the dodge

Oh - I have NEVER found so much change in a truck when tearing it apart. DEFINITELY check under the seat if you have a donor dodge

Old 09-29-2008, 08:02 PM
crazyredneckanyhow
Post Fiend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lol Steve thats funny witht he change. My donor must have had $10 worth of change in the cup holders and center consol. Must be a dodge thing.

Old 09-29-2008, 09:12 PM
Franken-Truck
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nice project you have going!

As for the change thing, well. . .Pick n' Pull charges a dollar to get in. . .I go every week. . .and while I'm digging around I almost always check under the seats and find $ It's about the only thing I like doing that DOESN'T cost me money

A $1 to get in, and leave with $2-3 in change!

Old 09-30-2008, 11:48 AM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
Good deal Franken! I never thought of LOOKING for change when I go - although I do grab whatever change I happen to see.

Now if only there was a pick-n-pull close by. It's a 45 minute drive or so for me and even then their inventory isn't great for trucks (mainly small cars).

I need a few parts right now and am not looking forward to going all the way to the yards to find out they don't have what I need.
On that note - anybody have a good yard that has newer Fords/Chevys/Dodges in it? I am looking for a complete hydroboost setup and know they should be cheaper than what the guys are getting for them on eBay. If someone can pull one and ship I'll shoot you some $$ for your time

Old 10-01-2008, 12:01 AM
bendog
Senior User
I say go with the NV4500 if you can. Would be sweet to get an NV5600(6-speed), but I bet people want an awful lot of cabbage for those. Im driving my 97 Dodge daily now, The 435 will be too low geared, often I would like about twice as many gears as I do and mine already has an NV4500. I, myself dislike having to shift gears while talking on the phone, drinking a coffee, and eating a donut, but they last longer and are cheaper to rebuild when the time comes. Are you gonna have to rebuild the auto in order to use it? If not, maybe run the auto while you look for an NV. Lookin good.

Old 10-01-2008, 11:48 AM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
Thanks for the comments/info. I agree - the NV5600 would be cool - but as you said they are LONG dollars!
The original plan was to run the auto while I looked for an NV4500 - but I think I already found one. I am looking at it tomorrow. It is NEW (never been run) and comes with a U-joit style tail shaft - which is perfect for my divorved 205 in the truck. It also comes with a NEW clutch and the bellhousing and adapters to run it.
As for getting more gears out of the NV4500 - I think I have that covered with the gear vendors unit I had floating around that can go in the truck.

On a side note - their may be a P-pump cummins motor coming home along with that NV4500 Even if it doesn't look for this thread to get more interesting soon - as the x-member and motor mount fabrication is about to begin

Old 10-02-2008, 12:48 AM
bendog
Senior User
SCORE on that 4500, and p-pumper if you can! Maybe you can get the hydroboost setup from the same truck! The manual shift, non Cali, p-pumpers made the most power (stock). Dont know what they sell for, but mine shifts nice @ 310K, don't know about U-juint tail shafts either, thought I'd figure it out when the time came. Try to get as new (year, low miles, in that order) a 4500 as possible, I guess the 5th gear nut likes to let go of the shaft. AAAAhhhh mounts and cross members. Whats that like? Im still doing body work on just the cab. Planning on using stock mounts? My crew frame is only about 1" narrower than my dodge frame. I'm planning on adapting my dodge mounts to the ford frame. My 4500 shifts waaaayyyy better than my dads 79 ford unit. Gear vendors? Perfect. Sometimes all I want, is to move all the gears a little lower, or a little higher, the GV would be perfect for a weekend play rig/tow monster, great plan! Although I'm counting on the change from 30" to 35" tires to just about perfect my gearing when its all said and done. Keep er up.

Old 10-02-2008, 12:47 PM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
Unfortunately the guy only has the motor and trans - so no other parts are available off the truck (still looking for a hydroboost). I am going to look at it/pick it up in 45 minutes, but here is what he told me.

Motor is a 12v out of a 94 truck. It has 168k miles and the original owner wrecked the truck, so he bought it. I will be checking for KDP damage and the 53 block before I buy.

Tranny he said was a custom build from a company that advertises in OFF-ROAD magazine. It is new and has never been run. I would certainly hope they fixed the 5th gear issue, but I will see. I have asked for all paperwork on the tranny so I can call and confirm what they have done.

I will look at motor mounts if/when I get the motor home. From what I have seen 1st gen motor mounts are different from the 2nd gen on these dodges. I think I will be doing a hybrid of Ford and dodge motor mounts, but I have to figure out exactly what motor I will be running 1st.

More updates to come...

Old 10-02-2008, 07:34 PM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
So I bought the NV4500 and 94 12v motor... The P-pump motor had less mileage than my 1st gen and they supposedly make a bunch more power - so it should be fun.
Speaking of fun - I get to try and get this thing out of the back of the taco by myself tonight. Going to put my ingenuity and cherry picker to the test!

I know the tacoma will be happy to have this thing off it's back - I had a 45 minute drive home with the taco bouncing off the bump stops the whole way. NOT too much fun

After I get it out - it's time for the x-member and motor mounts!!!

Old 10-03-2008, 01:09 PM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
Well... we had a bit of a casualty getting that thing out of my truck last night. It had to be out of the truck for work today and of course my cherry picker wigged out (bad bottle jack seal I guess).

I don't get any good picks of it on it's side with the cherry picker wedged up against my wood gate, but I did get a few of the lifting it back up process:CRY:

So far it looks like the wood gate took much of the load and the only casualty MIGHT be the cast aluminum intake manifold. I will have to wait until tomorrow to see for sure though - as the oil pan seems to be leaking now and it wasn't before:CRY:
Gotta get my damend cheery picker fixed today, and it is supposed to rain tomorrow - so it looks like last night was a sh%@&y start to a sh%@&y weekend:$:

Needless to say I am a bit bummed/pissed right now - but at least no one was hurt!

[IMG]http://i453.photobucket.com/albums/qq260/ChaseTruck754/74%20Ford%20Crew%20cab%20Cummins%20swap/165.jpg[/IMG

Old 10-03-2008, 09:07 PM
Franken-Truck
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That sucks man. . .but your cherry picker is probably WAY over capacity for a motor like that. Those seals don't just "go bad". . .they blow out because they are over capacity. . .that cummins has to weigh around 1600 lbs fully dressed

You'll probably want something like this:

Amazon.com: 4000 LBS Engine Cherry Picker Hoist Shop Crane 2 Ton: Home Improvement

it's a 4 ton lift, they are always on sale at Northern Tools if you have one in your area. And even that might be pushing it. . .

Sorry about your luck. . .but if there are any good aftermarket intakes, maybe this is a sign

Old 10-03-2008, 11:07 PM
bendog
Senior User
Ooh dang, broke the curb wow. lucky nobody got hurt. I bet you just about had a heart attack when it started going. Time for an ATS intake, and pull the pan to reseal. Intake is good to take the hit instead of the pump or fuel valves. I thought the 53 blocks were all 24 valve? Maybe I'm mistaken. Great score. I havent really found a fix for the 5th gear, a couple companys sell various parts, but according to an article I read from a trans shop owner, the nut eventually comes off, one guy welded the nut on, and had no problems since. He said it was because the gear rocks on the loosely fit splines (for easy assembly) when transitioning from accel to decel and slowly loosens the nut holding it on the end of the shaft. I guess its not catasrophic when it comes off, unless you have to drive it home.

Old 10-05-2008, 12:50 PM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
These motors are 880 lbs dry and I'd give it 1,100 lbs when it fell.
My cherry picker is fine. It's a 1 ton that wasn't even fully extended. The hydraulic jack in the thing has been outside for years and I have had signs of it going bad before (funny how those things slip your mind when you've got a job you HAVE to get done)...
The motor was resting on the side of the truck when the truck moved so the thing swung and it went over SIDEWAYS.

Either way - I spend the majority of the day yesterday putting a hydraulic jack in the thing. I got the one for the 2 ton hoist (8 ton ram) and it didn't fit the same as the 5 ton I took out (most 1 ton jacks have a 3 ton ram) so I had to make some brackets and do some welding. It was a crappy way to waste a day, but at least I can safely lift my engine now.

As for the ATS intake - F that! $300+ for MINIMAL gains. I'd rather spend the cash somewhere else. Besides I have a 3rd gen intake lying around that I will run. I got it for converting the non-IC 1st gen to have an IC. The problem is it doesn't flow as well as the 2nd gen intakes (which flow the best out of any of the stock ones) like the one I broke.
here is a thread covering it - Cooler Tubz Rock - Page 3 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum

I think I might just end up making one like the "cooler tubz" in the above thread.

For the 53 block - you may be right, but I was'nt 100% sure so I checked just in case.

for the 5th gear on the NV4500 - the tranny was build by www.geartechHD.com and it has a "new mainshaft /nut kit" whioch the guys says they "haven't had any problems" with 5th gears after that.

Ok - time to head to the shop and see if I can't get this beast dangming over the truck
The only problem now is the guy forgot to give me the harmonic balancer, belt tensioner and the A/C compressor - the last of which I need to get the motor set right. He is currently looking for them, and until then I'm going to take dims off my 1st gen A/C pump and leave enough room in case the 2nd gen one is bigger.

Quick Reply: 1974 Ford Cummins Crew cab