Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thanks MARK...Transmission Flush a Success

Old 09-08-2008, 04:09 PM
Whitey Ford
FTE-Spread The Knowledge
Whitey Ford has a great reputation on FTE.Whitey Ford has a great reputation on FTE.Whitey Ford has a great reputation on FTE.Whitey Ford has a great reputation on FTE.Whitey Ford has a great reputation on FTE.Whitey Ford has a great reputation on FTE.
Thanks MARK...Transmission Flush a Success

Thanks Mark. I flushed my transmission today....VERY easy thanks to your advice. Because this was the first time, (I had the "stealer" perform this one and only task up to this point) I didn't drain the pan, I started with step 5. Hooked up the 1/2 inch by 10ft clear tube and cranked the motor for 30 seconds. I was by myself, so the cloths pin on container worked well. Actually I used two for protection. I researched the procedure carefully, and the main flaw I found that people made was NOT measuring the output fluid, so that you install the exact same amount. On my discharge container I made a 4, 5 & 6 quart mark. When I started the truck I ran through the gears as instructed for 5 seconds each. When the fluid got to the 5 1/2 quart mark it slowed down to a stand still. I then shut off motor, and reinstalled 5 1/2 quarts. I emptied container, and started again. When I did start the truck again and the fluid started pumping the air came out for 2 to 3 seconds and started to fill the container again. I ran through all the gears for 5 seconds each. When the truck got to 5 1/2 quarts it slowed down completely again to almost nothing. I shut truck off. Added 5 1/2 quarts. Proceeded the same way again, then added 5 1/2 quarts again. Because I bought 2 cases 0f fluid (12 in each case) I did this one more time. One the fourth time I could see the color change from the old fluid to the new fluid in the clear tubing. They didn't mix. I wasted some fluid, but proved a point. I did save all the fluid for the chain saw. When I took the clear 10ft tubing off, I measured it's contents (1/2 quart), and added new fluid of the same amount. I ended up with a perfect amount in truck. Did not have to add or delete any. Measuring output is VERY important.

On my truck, 2002 F350 Dually, the 5 1/2 quart mark seems to be the benchmark when pumping the fluid. I will drop the pan and replace filter next go around.

Hope this helps. Good Luck to ALL.

Old 09-08-2008, 11:13 PM
uliman
Senior User
uliman is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have done this twice now and love this particular flushing process for our 4R100 trannies. Kudos to Mark K.

Old 09-09-2008, 12:21 PM
Whitey Ford
FTE-Spread The Knowledge
Whitey Ford has a great reputation on FTE.Whitey Ford has a great reputation on FTE.Whitey Ford has a great reputation on FTE.Whitey Ford has a great reputation on FTE.Whitey Ford has a great reputation on FTE.Whitey Ford has a great reputation on FTE.
It was perfect. The length of the tube had it right next to the truck and I could closely observe the output, while running through the gears. I checked the fluid today and the level was dead on.