Sponsored by:

just bought a skyjacker lift need some help

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2002, 06:30 PM
bugeyed
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok i just orderded a 4 inch skyjacker lift the real basic one. now these instructions aren't exactly to detailed, now it says i have to weld a part on in the center of the axle. i have a 1995 f-150 with a ttb front end. now is it alright to put the lift all on, and then go get it welded. or should i get it aligned then get it welded? or if anything can i get some more detailed instructions? any help would be great!

Old 12-06-2002, 08:48 PM
MustangGT221
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You'll want to align it afterwards, when the installation is complete. Are you talking about the axle pivot bracket? As long as it's bolted on there well, and you don't drive it much but straight to a place to have it welded you should be ok. Make sure the battery is disconnected and take it easy till you get it welded.

Primary rig is Green Thunder:
95' F-150 XLT 4x4, 302, 5 spd, MSD 6A, Flowmaster Exhaust, Sunroof, Clear corners w/ Diamond headlights, CD player with 2 10" subs and some 32" BFG Muds .

Check out my Gallery for a look-see.

Justin - One Happy FTE Member

Old 12-07-2002, 07:30 AM
bugeyed
Senior User

the instructions say the right center hinge bracket. now do i get it alligned then get it welded?

Old 12-07-2002, 07:50 AM
MustangGT221
Post Fiend

>You'll want to align it afterwards, when the installation is
>complete.

Copied from my first post.

95' F-150 XLT 4x4, 302, 5 spd, MSD 6A, Flowmaster Exhaust, Sunroof, Clear corners w/ Diamond headlights, CD player with 2 10" subs and some 32" BFG Muds .

Old 12-07-2002, 10:44 AM
bugeyed
Senior User

i just called skyjacker, and they said allign it first then get it welded? now i'm just confused

Old 12-07-2002, 12:11 PM
cek181
Elder User

they recommend you weld it, its not absolutely necessary tho. i just have my superlift brackets bolted. just make sure you get it straight up and down. i made a little template out of business card to get it straight. i think welding it would be much easier, but what if you decide to take it off again someday? and don't get an alignment until you've got your lift 100 percent done, new tires on it, 100 miles on the lift, and retighten everything up.

chris

Old 12-07-2002, 01:00 PM
MustangGT221
Post Fiend

They are just trying to avoid trouble. Align it when you get 100-200mi on it like he said. Weld it, as if you ever needed to remove it you can just grind it off, it's not to bad. Much stronger when welded.

Old 12-09-2002, 10:23 AM
jacoby
Freshman User

I have a six inch skyjacker on my 94 f150 and I dont remember it ment ioning anything about welding. I have had mine on for about 2 1/2 years do some pretty good rock climbing and have had no problems with the front end what so ever.
Just my experience.
jason

Old 12-09-2002, 11:43 PM
Brian460
Posting Guru

What part is it referring to, when talking about welding and to what?

Old 12-11-2002, 01:16 PM
bugeyed
Senior User

ok the instructions say this...
Place jack under right front axle housing beneath the coil spring and remove the right radius arm bracket as in step #3. Now go to the right center hinge bracket

8.While holding up the new bracket, install the 9/16 x 3 1/2 bolt in the upper axle beam hole going through the crossmember first then through both sides of the new bracket. Being sure the bracket is vertical, tighten the 9/16" bolt and drill the 2 remaining 1/2" holes instal and tighten 1/2 x 1 1/2 bolts. Tighten allbolts. Swing axle beam up, insert original metric hinge bolt and tighten - use top hole for 4" kits and bottom hole for 6" kits

NOTE: This bracket MUST be welded to the frame so that the bracket becomes part of the frame to eliminate frame cracking.

thats straight from the instructions, so which part am i trying to weld, and do i weld it before or after i get it alligned??

Old 12-11-2002, 01:40 PM
cek181
Elder User

heres how i did mine.....

get your bracket on the crossmemeber, get it nice and vertical, in the exact place where it's supposed to be, mark your crossmember for holes, drill your holes, put your bolts in and tighten them up. get your axle up into the bracket and put the bolt through that. you might need to loosen the bolts holding up the drop bracket to give yourself some play to get the axle in. after you got the axle in there and started, tighten up the bolts on the drop bracket. tighten up the nut thats holding the axle. i wouldn't weld anything until everything is all said and done, in case you have to take something apart for some reason in a future step. that's my opinion tho. when everything is done (meaning the entire front part of the lift), weld the rest of the way around the bracket if your going to weld it. don't get your alignment till you have the front and back done, your new tires on, put a 100 miles on the truck, and retighten all your bolts and check all your components.

chris

Old 12-11-2002, 07:42 PM
88grandmarquis
Laughing Gas
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts