1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Turbo o-rings

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 08:20 PM
BlueMule
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you guys find a source for the return lines yet? On page 244 of the McMaster-Carr catalog they have some bronze braided hose that would be a lot easier to work with than the PITA return line that comes with the H2E. It comes in different lengths and OD's so you can get the OD to fit the return hole on the plate and then braze a manifold on for the turbo side.I've been gonna redo mine for a long time but now I dont drive the truck much anymore so I'm done spending money on it.

Old 09-08-2008, 08:24 PM
FARM69
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is what I got. It's about an inch too short. I made another fitting that goes on the turbo side that is threaded. Thinking about getting a union and then....

Blue.. looks like I have the steel version of what you found.

Old 09-08-2008, 08:28 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Rodney what is the issue with the hypermax tube? Other than the o-ring at the bottom it looks pretty straight forward.

Old 09-08-2008, 08:29 PM
FARM69
Postmaster
The thing with that braid is that it does not want to bend much. In smaller sizes it does, but I wouldn't want to go below 1/2 inch for the return.

My HX50 supply and return sits parallel to the ground, looks like the hypermax kit has them rotated a little bit.

Old 09-08-2008, 08:41 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Farm you should be able to clock the intake, exhaust and center section any way you want. You might be able to rotate things around.

Old 09-08-2008, 08:48 PM
FARM69
Postmaster
Is it a problem that my inlets and outlets are horizontal? I'd image oil would still flow down the return...

I know I can change the intake side of the turbo, but I don't think the exhaust side moves. IIRC there are 4-6 bolts.

Old 09-08-2008, 08:49 PM
BlueMule
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by tjbeggs
Rodney what is the issue with the hypermax tube? Other than the o-ring at the bottom it looks pretty straight forward.
It's just real hard to work with TJ, it corrugated and hard to bend. It you bolt it to the turbo first then it doesn't flex enough so you can plug the bottom into the pedestal. If you preshape it and do the bottom first then either the bottom pops out when you try to bolt it up or you fight it trying to keep the gasket in place and start the bolts. I hate it. Ive have the turbo off 3 or 4 times and that simple little hose is by far the hardest part of the whole job for me.

Old 09-08-2008, 08:57 PM
BlueMule
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by FARM69
This is what I got. It's about an inch too short. I made another fitting that goes on the turbo side that is threaded. Thinking about getting a union and then....

Yeah.. that looks just like the ones I've seen made up for the H2E

On the HX50 does the return bolt to the bottom of the center section the same as the h2? Cant you just add a street elbo to the bottom to add the length and make it easier to fit the pedestal?

Old 09-08-2008, 09:03 PM
BlueMule
Posting Guru

Yeah.. that looks just like the ones I've seen made up for the H2E

On the HX50 does the return bolt to the bottom of the center section the same as the h2? Cant you just add a street elbow to the bottom to add the length you need and make it easier to fit the pedestal o-ring?

Old 09-08-2008, 09:12 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Is it a problem that my inlets and outlets are horizontal? I'd image oil would still flow down the return...

I know I can change the intake side of the turbo, but I don't think the exhaust side moves. IIRC there are 4-6 bolts.
On mine there are 6 bolts but they just hold 2 plates down that act as clamps. So in theory (as long as its not rust tight like mine) you can loosen the bolts and rotate the housings. Both my intake and exhaust use this system. I wish the intake we vband but beggers can't be chooser.

BTW I am looking for a 17cm non waste gated housing is anyone know of one. the WG'ed housing I have won't work. I was going to block off the WG but the whole deal is just too large to fit well.

Old 09-08-2008, 09:12 PM
FARM69
Postmaster
Yeah, I think you can see that in the pictures. I regular street elbow should use, however what should I use between the turbo fitting - street elbow and pesdistal -oring.

Maybe a 1/2" steel pipe?

Old 09-08-2008, 09:17 PM
FARM69
Postmaster
Originally Posted by tjbeggs
On mine there are 6 bolts but they just hold 2 plates down that act as clamps. So in theory (as long as its not rust tight like mine) you can loosen the bolts and rotate the housings. Both my intake and exhaust use this system. I wish the intake we vband but beggers can't be chooser.

BTW I am looking for a 17cm non waste gated housing is anyone know of one. the WG'ed housing I have won't work. I was going to block off the WG but the whole deal is just too large to fit well.

I'm sure it can be moved then. My supply line is plenty long and looks pretty good. I think I'd have to leave the center section as is. There is not much room for the 1/2 return. It has to make a right angle the way is sits right now.

It looks like they have the h2e sitting up higher with the kit. Probably because my up-pipes are sitting lower than the stockers?

Old 09-08-2008, 09:31 PM
BlueMule
Posting Guru
however what should I use between the turbo fitting - street elbow and pesdistal -oring.

Maybe a 1/2" steel pipe?
Must be that the h2 and hx50 are different as far as the supply and return fittings.My supply is at the top front and the return is at the bottom rear and both have flange fittings with gaskets that bolt to the center section. The supply uses a hard line with a compression fitting to attach the line to the fitting but the return looks just like your steel braided line, the tubing is tigged onto the flange.

Not a very good pic but you can see the supply line, the flange for the drain is the same.

Old 09-08-2008, 09:54 PM
FARM69
Postmaster
Yep, the supply is on the front and the return is at the rear.

Blue, I never realized you had a built engine...

Old 09-09-2008, 06:59 AM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Farm when you say the front and rear are you talking like the supply is pointed toward the fuel filter and the return is pointed toward the firewall? if you so you will need to rotate everything so it more like Rodney's picture. the return is really a drain. It needs to be gravity returned.

Quick Reply: Turbo o-rings