1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Hello to all!

Old 09-06-2008, 07:22 PM
DOHC53f100
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello to all!

I am new at the old school truck game. I remember my dad having a fat fender Ford back in the day. I finally got my own 1953 Ford F100. I bought the truck from a guy in Pa and I'm excited to have it and start working on her. I have a couple of Mustang Cobras (a 97 and a 96) sitting around and I think I will try to use the motor/tranny,front clip and rear end out of the 1996 car. The body of the truck needs the usual repairs, cab corners, cowl sections and door bottoms. The rest of the truck is pretty soild. I was looking at media blasting the body. I am on a budget and I really just wanna get her on the road as a weekend driver for now. I like the idea of the DOHC motor in the truck. I am hoping the Cobra front clip will drop in nicely. I don't know if anyone here has used this set-up. Your info/input will be much needed and appreciated on this project, by the way if anyone else is looking to do a similar project, I have an extra drive train and front clip. Thanks in advance for your support.

Old 09-06-2008, 07:54 PM
gdgerland
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to FTE, DOHC53. Glad to have you. This is the best site on the net for info on old Ford trucks. Lots of good people that are willing to help. Sounds like a lot of work grafting the front clip from a Mustang on to your '53. I'm sure that someone has done it and will chime in with some info. Post some pictures as soon as you can so we see what you are working on. You will fit right in with the "Dark Side" of this forum. Be sure to demand cookies.

Gil

Old 09-06-2008, 08:07 PM
Gear Up
Senior User
Again welcome to the board. Youv'e come to the right place for help and info. Don't worry if you don't get answer right away. I learned early on that if it hasn't been tried a thread may not get a responce right off the bat. Keep at it and patience will bring about an answer. I asked about IRS from a T-bird back in 02 and now there are conversion kits to install my Super Coupe rear in the panel truck.

Gear Up

Old 09-06-2008, 09:44 PM
Kusto
Posting Guru
Welcome to FTE!!!! Sounds like you got your work cut out for you. Can't wait to see your progress and I'm certain that someone here will Chime in with the answers you seek.

Old 09-06-2008, 09:54 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts
Welcome to the board!! One thing to consider is the location of the upper end of the struts, and how that will be incorporated into the truck. Engine will fit no problem, and the rear will fit, too...atleast be pretty close. Good luck!

Old 09-08-2008, 06:20 PM
edsf100
Posting Guru
Welcome to the site you won't find a better site out there for great info. You have some great options there to use on the truck. Post some pics in your gallery.

Old 09-08-2008, 06:37 PM
Max E
Senior User
54 F 100

Put where you are from on your top right. I think you have to go back to your profile to do it. This way when people see your threads and they are close they will come see or tell you where you can get local parts.
Welcome and don't be discouraged as I thought I was taking along time to find others have years on me and haven't gotten as close as I.
Max E

Old 09-08-2008, 06:38 PM
imlowr2
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome and congrats on the 53. Here's a little advice and you can take it for what its worth. I seems like you have a vision and goal for your truck, however you are on a budget and don't want the truck sitting for years till the project is completed, if it get completed. Believe me, lots of us have been there and are still there. You really need to focus on what YOU want done on this truck and set up a game plan on how to accomplish your dream truck. Don't settle for second best, because eventually you'll change back to the original plan which usually ends up costing $$$. Builders always have a plan prior to starting the project (Chip Foose draws out his plans on paper). Focus on one section at a time, for example, do the suspension/ brakes first, then do the engine compartment/ engine, and so forth. I always jumped around from interior to engine and it seemed like I never got anything done or saw any progress on my truck. Can you say frustration?... Remember, any project will cost $$, no way around it, the other factor is time and finding the time to work on the projects. Good luck.

Old 09-08-2008, 07:15 PM
DOHC53f100
New User
Thanks guys! I have to post the pics of what I have so far. It's gonna be a long winter LOL
by the way, I live on Fort Meade, Maryland.

Search this Thread