1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Shackles or Leafpack on sagging front end????

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 06:22 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Shackles or Leafpack on sagging front end????

Well i,m sick of looking at my front end sagging and would like to see it sit level. Got about 150.00 bucks to help Big Poppa. I searched and researched both options and come to the conclusion that about half goes with the leafpack and the other half go with shackles. From what i understand the leafpack stiffin,s up the front as for the shackles let you keep the factory ride. I have 8.50 inches from the top of tire to the dead center part of the fender. The rear measures from the top of the tire to the middle of the fender 9.50 inches. What should i go with, a 1.50 or 2.inch pack or shackle??? And who sells them for a decent price?? Thanks

Old 09-06-2008, 06:25 PM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if you need new springs..go to local spring shop and have them set you up..it will be half the cost of buying on line then installing them..tell them just what you want..they have the springs to lift it and make it ride nice to..

Old 09-06-2008, 06:29 PM
UP_There
Lead Driver
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Well if it's sagging......sounds like your leafs are worn out, and putting shackles will be using the same tired springs. You could get them re-arched for pretty cheap, but it will happen again within maybe a year. Add-a-leave's tend to make it a bit stiffer, but not too bad. My setup before my current lift had an add a leaf in the front, it wasn't too stiff.....the Bilsteins help definitely. I wouldn't waste money on a "high-end" add a leaf, just get whatever is cheapest, it only raises the frontend the thickness of the leaf, not too much performance involved. I think mine was like $80 bucks? Can't remember......OR......you could put that money towards the DP you've been waiting to buy and just pull wheelies, no sag involved

Old 09-06-2008, 06:49 PM
swaybar
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well if your sick of lookin at your front end saggin just look at the chick in the "snorgtee", ain't nothin saggin there!

Old 09-06-2008, 06:52 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by ron's power stroke
if you need new springs..go to local spring shop and have them set you up..it will be half the cost of buying on line then installing them..tell them just what you want..they have the springs to lift it and make it ride nice to..
There,s a shop up north of me, i could call them, my inspection shop told me about them, thanks Ron...

Originally Posted by UP_There
Well if it's sagging......sounds like your leafs are worn out, and putting shackles will be using the same tired springs. You could get them re-arched for pretty cheap, but it will happen again within maybe a year. Add-a-leave's tend to make it a bit stiffer, but not too bad. My setup before my current lift had an add a leaf in the front, it wasn't too stiff.....the Bilsteins help definitely. I wouldn't waste money on a "high-end" add a leaf, just get whatever is cheapest, it only raises the frontend the thickness of the leaf, not too much performance involved. I think mine was like $80 bucks? Can't remember......OR......you could put that money towards the DP you've been waiting to buy and just pull wheelies, no sag involved
The more i look at them, they are starting to bow in the middle from the weight. And i knew you were going to say that about the DP, LOL.

Old 09-06-2008, 07:04 PM
zack7.3
Elder User
I didn't care for the shackles. I don't like how you can see them pushing down on the leafs. So I took them off and replaced them with the spring pack and I really like the pack. The ride is the same, you can't really see them, and they lifted it about an inch higher than the shackles.

Old 09-06-2008, 07:05 PM
Technocrsr
Senior User
Hmm, 1 ince difference between front and back? Thats loaded I take it.
I'm looking at 8.25 F and 11.5 R, now thats a sag. But it is perfectly level with my hitch heavy TT.

Maybe a e-bay shackle will help, they are what? $60

Auke

Old 09-06-2008, 07:05 PM
zack7.3
Elder User
Let me see if I can find my shackles. If I can find them laying around here you can have them.

Old 09-06-2008, 07:20 PM
megawatt00
Hotshot
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by zack7.3
I didn't care for the shackles. I don't like how you can see them pushing down on the leafs. So I took them off and replaced them with the spring pack and I really like the pack. The ride is the same, you can't really see them, and they lifted it about an inch higher than the shackles.
Where di you get your packs fron Zack?

Old 09-06-2008, 07:20 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by swaybar
well if your sick of lookin at your front end saggin just look at the chick in the "snorgtee", ain't nothin saggin there!
I,m wondering if i should go the same route? This one dealer has them for a decent price.

Originally Posted by Technocrsr
Hmm, 1 ince difference between front and back? Thats loaded I take it.
I'm looking at 8.25 F and 11.5 R, now thats a sag. But it is perfectly level with my hitch heavy TT.

Maybe a e-bay shackle will help, they are what? $60

Auke
No, not loaded but want it to sit level. I only tow about 3-5 times a year and weight distribution hitch and the trailers only 7,400...

Let me see if I can find my shackles. If I can find them laying around here you can have them.
Mighty nice of yaa, i'll give yaa something for them....

Old 09-06-2008, 07:24 PM
zack7.3
Elder User
I found them. They are still in my tool box. They are the ones from sanderson welding. If you want them PM me your address and I will get them out on Tuesday. I don't want anything for them. They are just making my MPGs drop hauling that extra weight around. LOL

Old 09-06-2008, 07:32 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
I found them. They are still in my tool box. They are the ones from sanderson welding. If you want them PM me your address and I will get them out on Tuesday. I don't want anything for them. They are just making my MPGs drop hauling that extra weight around. LOL
Thanks Zack, where else could you go and get this kind of help, very nice of yaa.PM sentSo these should be ok for me???

Old 09-06-2008, 08:17 PM
zack7.3
Elder User
They are good, I just didn't care for the looks of the shackles. I got your PM. I will get them out as soon as I can.

Old 09-06-2008, 08:18 PM
Adam0331
Posting Guru
Mike, where is the spring shop north of you?

Old 09-06-2008, 08:38 PM
zack7.3
Elder User
Originally Posted by megawatt00
Where di you get your packs fron Zack?
They are from performance sales online. It is called the 270 Maxx lift. I called and talked to the owner and he was a really nice guy. Gave me a military discount and everything. They shipped super fast and everything went on perfect. I think they cost around $160. They werent the welded together kind either. They come with a new bolt to go through your leafs into the packs.

Quick Reply: Shackles or Leafpack on sagging front end????