1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Thinking of buying my first Diesel.

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 07:44 PM
Jamie V
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking of buying my first Diesel.

I have always wanted a diesel but never gotten one. I am looking at a 97 extended cab, long bed, 2wd, automatic, F250. I has just under 100k on the od. I am not sure what the tire size is or what the gear ratio is. I have 2 concerns. The first and most important is the fuel mileage. What kind of mpg should I see in the stock form and what kind of chip/tune can I get to increase the mileage? Second concern is the maintenance and repair of it. I have worked on trucks and cars for many years (and I am pretty mechanically inclined) but I have rarely touched a diesel. How much maintenance do they require and what are some problems that I might have to repair.

Thanks
Jamie V
jfastford@comcast.net

Old 09-06-2008, 07:10 AM
RubberDuck
Logistics Pro

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
First concern, you'll probably see 14-16, better if you keep it under 60. A tuner will net you maybe 1-2 mpg if you can stay out of it. But there are alot of other things that will help too. But I'll save those for after you buy it.

Maintenance is very simple. Regular oil changes, fuel filter every other oil change 10k miles...ish as well as cleaning the fuel pressure regulator screen at that time. And stay on top of the air filters, and stay away from oiled filters for now. The tranny and everything else is as it would be on a gasser pretty much. And in my opinion, run as much sythetic as you can afford, especially in the tranny.

Common problems are cam sensor failure- $20 and one wrench. Valve cover gasket pins burning. (The wires for the injectors and glow plugs run through the valve cover gasket) But it's an easy fix. If it happens just ask here and we'll point you in all the right directions. Various connections get loose on the alt where you'll see an intermittent battery light, or the a/c won't seem like it works all the time. 99% of the time those are the connectors on the alt and a/c compressor. Easy fix.

If you start adding power, the tranny is your first concern. These tranny's die, period. But it can be prevented. Depending on what kind of power over stock you are making determines how easy or expesnsive.

Also, glow plug failure, or glow plug relay failure is normally an issue up there because of the cold, yall tend to rely on them more. Those are easy, just time consuming if your handy with a wrench.

That's about all I can think of off the top of my head. I hope that helps. And trust me, once you go diesel, you'll never want to go back.

Oh yeah, the biggest thing you need to concern yourself with is PMS. (Powerstroke Mod Syndrome) You will be infected with it, and we'll be here to help you get through it........and empty your wallet. LOL

Old 09-06-2008, 07:22 AM
70T351W
Elder User
I myself have spun a few nuts & bolts on older Fords. Never thought in my wildest dreams I would own a diesel. More less work on them. It is alot tighter confinements with a bigger engine and very intimidating. But nothing to worry about. In the begining I could not even tell you where the fuel filter was. That is awsome for the mileage did you say how much? Got pics?

Old 09-06-2008, 09:19 AM
Jamie V
New User
I am pretty familiar with this body style. I have owned 5 different Lightnings (93-95) My current lightning runs 9.80's in the 1/4 mile and I need a tow rig (the reason for the diesel) The transmission isn't a problem my good friend builds these things awsome (he builds my C6 in my lightning) The other stuff sounds pretty simple.

I don't have any picts but I can get the truck for $6500 (might need a trans rebuild but I can have that done for pretty cheap)

Old 09-06-2008, 09:25 AM
mihulka3
New User
Ford 2.9 Diesel

I have a 1988 Ranger 2.9 diesel.
At least it sounds like one.
LOL!

Old 09-06-2008, 09:27 AM
mihulka3
New User
Why can't the trannies handle the extra power?
Are they made by Allison?
Ford?

Old 09-06-2008, 09:33 AM
Jamie V
New User
These transmissions are plenty strong if you build them right.

They are E4ODs not allisons

Old 09-06-2008, 03:44 PM
884x4broncoII
Posting Guru
id go with a 5 speed if you can find one for towing i much prefer towing with an 5 speed over an automatic. if you get a 2wd with 3.55's 20mpg is not at all out of the question my setup 4.10's 5sp and 4wd at 75 i get about 16 at 60mph i typicaly get between 19-22 and about 16-19 typically towing at 60mph if im really heavy like 15-20k trailer weight it can drop to as low as 12 iv only matianice iv done on my truck sense i got it is oil changes fuel filter changes new glow plug relay and vacuum pump, also replaced the clutch linkage bushing with an aftermarket hemi joint available on e-bay.

Old 09-06-2008, 06:13 PM
Jamie V
New User
I can't go with a 5 speed. I drive into Philadelphia almost every day and hit stop and go traffic often. A stick shift just isn't going to work for me.

From what you guys are saying the rear ratio effects the milage alot and the speed the most. 355s and 60mph is the ticket (Theres no way I could do 55, I drive 70-80 now)LOL

Old 09-06-2008, 11:27 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by RubberDuck
First concern, you'll probably see 14-16, better if you keep it under 60.
Only 14-16? Is that on account of the automatic? My wife has only run a couple of tankfuls through her '95 F250 4x4 5-speed. It has the 3.55. First tank was all city driving, some pretty intense stop-and-go. 15.3 MPG. Second tank was "highway", 50-60 MPH, but a two-lane highway with slow-downs through all the towns, and some significant hills, and a few hundred pounds of gear in the bed. 21.5 MPG.

Jamie, you might want to look at a thread down in the "General" section titled "Sticking up for Sticks". A number of people report that they prefer a manual in traffic. My wife and I have been driving manuals since the early '80s. We drove one automatic truck while shopping for the PSD she just bought, and just plain did not like it. Granted, the clutch action is pretty heavy on these trucks, but to me, it's easier to hold the clutch pedal to the floor than to hold the brake pedal against the "push" of an automatic idling in Drive. That's the part I don't like about driving an automatic in traffic.

Old 09-07-2008, 12:16 AM
ron86toy
Posting Guru
I have a CC 2wd Auto 3.55 330+k and regularly see 19-21 MPG's......with a light foot(not going over 2k rpm and cruise set at 70)I have hit 24 once with cruise at 63 for 400 miles......towing I have seen everywhere from 12-18....all depends on load,terrain,headwind ect.
Mods are intake,exhaust and TW tuning

Old 09-07-2008, 12:33 AM
RubberDuck
Logistics Pro

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
I got 50mph once with 3 overdrives and 1:72 gears... Back in the Great Compression etc...... Asking about fuel mileage is like asking guys which hair color they prefer on women. You'll never get the same answer. That mileage I quoted was 4.10 gears with a 5speed. For me, I could care less about fuel mileage. I just want it to be cool. The info I gave is pretty damn close to what he's asking about.

Old 09-07-2008, 07:16 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Hell, you hold the clutch to the floor?
Jeez. I'm to lazy to do that. I just pop er outa gear and roll forward.

Only advice I can provide is, don't settle for something. Get exactly what you want.

Old 09-07-2008, 08:39 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Talyn
Hell, you hold the clutch to the floor?
Jeez. I'm to lazy to do that. I just pop er outa gear and roll forward.
If it's just for a few seconds, in stop-and-go traffic in, say, construction, I find it easier to hold the clutch down. At lights, where I know I'll be there a while, indeed I throw 'er in neutral. And it's my understanding that neutral with the clutch up is easier on the throwout bearing anyway. In any event, either one is less tiresome (to me) than holding the car in place against the torque converter, with an automatic in Drive.

Old 09-08-2008, 02:34 AM
884x4broncoII
Posting Guru
in bumper to bumper traffic in a stick alot of times i just keep rolling try to split the stops and goes so i never actually have to come to a complete stop of course inevitably someone will pull into your cushion space in which case i just shift to Neutral. iv drivin sticks most of my life and feel awkward in an automatic, i guess its just a personal preference thing but i really like having the control when towing and not worrying about tranny overheating and the added reliability is a nice plus. i agree with the one that said get what you want and don't settle for anything less, right now with fuel prices everyone is offloading there diesels prices have really gone down

Quick Reply: Thinking of buying my first Diesel.