1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

need a new clutch

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 04:27 PM
8inav
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need a new clutch

my clutch is finally slipping to the point where i dont think i will be able to drive it to work anymore, i was wondering if anyone had any recomendations on aftermarket, is it worth converting from the dual mass or not, i want the new clutch to be able to keep up with new mods. any help would be very apprecated.

Old 09-04-2008, 05:26 PM
BoyerCustomTruck
Junior User
You dont have a signature but Im going to assume this is on a 7.3. Southbend all the way. price is compairable to NAPA. they actually rate their clutches by horsepower. They have half of the peddle resistance as stock and they work.

Old 09-04-2008, 05:39 PM
FARM69
Postmaster
Convert to the single mass. I'd look into getting a volair if your looking for an aftermarket setup. They make a lot of clutches for class 8 trucks and light duty applications as well. If you want a clutch that will keep up with the mods, give them a shout and tell them what your looking for.

I'm sure Cody (RubberDuck) will reply to this thread as well, but tell volair that Cody sent ya from FTE and they will give ya a pretty good deal.

Wouldn't you rather have clutch ratings in ft lbs???

Old 09-04-2008, 09:28 PM
RubberDuck
Logistics Pro

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Thanks Farm. 8inav, Both South Bend And Valair are excellent clutches. My preference of course is Valair. Check them out at www.valairinc dot com. When you find one you like and note the price. Then Call Dan, Or Kevin and tell them Cody from Death Row Diesel sent you, and the price will get even better. Dan's customer service is second to none and his clutches are awsome. He has everything from mild to wild. Just talk to him and I bet you'll go Valair. But like I said, South Bend is awsome too, it's just a preference thing. And I believe SB is quite a bit higher than Valair. But tell Dan I sent you and he'll take care of you.

Old 09-05-2008, 06:36 AM
Neal 97 250
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Valair all the way. They are great people with great customer service and don't mind spending some time with you helping you decide which clutch you need or want. They are priced very well also and they have alot of experience in their field.

Definately do the SMF and get a Valair and be done with it. You are now ready to mod away.

Old 09-05-2008, 04:42 PM
8inav
Junior User
thanks alot for the info guys, really helpfull, called valair inc the clutch is ordered, will let you know how it goes when its done, thanks alot for the help

Old 09-05-2008, 10:04 PM
Neal 97 250
Post Fiend
Congrats on the Valair. You done well

Old 09-05-2008, 11:30 PM
RubberDuck
Logistics Pro

I promise you'll be happy with it. Did you tell them I sent you?

Old 09-06-2008, 03:48 PM
phillips91
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
dont mean to hijack the thread here, but ill be in the market for a new clutch soon too. i was looking at the valair clutches and every one i saw required the use of a new flywheel. dont these engines come externally balanced from the factory? if they do, that would mean a complete tear down and rebalance just to change a clutch. if they are internally balance it wouldnt be a problem, but i was thinking they were externally balanced.....

Old 09-06-2008, 06:01 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by phillips91
dont mean to hijack the thread here, but ill be in the market for a new clutch soon too. i was looking at the valair clutches and every one i saw required the use of a new flywheel. dont these engines come externally balanced from the factory? if they do, that would mean a complete tear down and rebalance just to change a clutch. if they are internally balance it wouldnt be a problem, but i was thinking they were externally balanced.....
nope not an issue. I am sure they are internally balanced. You are probably thinking of the poorly designed dual mass flywheel.

Old 09-06-2008, 06:05 PM
RubberDuck
Logistics Pro

Yes, they all require the Single Mass Flywheel. Which is an upgrade for us. Changing clutches is not a balance issue for us. I won't lie, I don't know how IH balances these motors. But I do know I've done a ton of clutches without problems. Besides, you have to surface a flywheel before installing a new one. If the balance hinged on the flywheel, it would be off no matter what you used. That's just how I look at it. But by all means, if you saw a clutch you liked, tell Dan I sent ya and he'll hook you up too.

Old 09-06-2008, 10:12 PM
phillips91
Postmaster
Originally Posted by RubberDuck
I won't lie, I don't know how IH balances these motors.
most engines come from the factory within a tolerance. they arent balanced, but are close enough that you cant tell a difference with normal driving, but they have noticeable vibrations at higher rpms. i remember reading somewhere that the psd came balanced, but couldnt remember if it was internal or external. if youve changed flywheels without any problems then it has to be internal. or else it would cause some major vibrations.

im looking at one in jegs right now, its by hays and uses the original flywheel. its supposed to be good to 550 lb/ft and was priced better than the stock clutch at napa. those valair ones were better than napa too. and im sure they are much better. how does the valair compare to the stock clutch as far as pedal feel goes?

Old 09-07-2008, 12:09 AM
RubberDuck
Logistics Pro

Well, if you go with a performance application the pedal will be slightly stiffer because of high plate loads (more clamp force). But Dan has stock replacements that will retain the stock feel. By all means call him and talk to him about it. He's a super guy and loves to talk clutches. You don't even have to buy one from him and he'll still tell you everything you want to know. But I really believe once you talk to him, you'll get such a kick out of him, you'll buy his clutch.

Old 09-07-2008, 10:21 AM
phillips91
Postmaster
Originally Posted by RubberDuck
Well, if you go with a performance application the pedal will be slightly stiffer because of high plate loads (more clamp force).
thats what i was hoping for lol. the one i have now takes almost no force at all to push in and the clutch only grabs for about two inches of the entire pedal movement. if i press it to the floor, it takes about 6 inches of letting it out before it grabs.

wouldnt it be better to use the dual mass flywheel though? i was just looking them up and came across this-

Dual mass flywheels are fitted to light-duty diesel trucks with standard manual transmissions and, and to higher performance luxury vehicles to dampen vibration in the drive train. This also allows vehicles to be operated for longer periods without long term damage.
Transmissions in light-duty diesel powered trucks have a heightened sensitivity to fluctuating torsional inputs. This results in a strong torsional resonance or vibration that occurs during operation of the vehicle within normal driving ranges.
The function of the dual mass flywheels is to isolate torsion crankshaft spikes created by diesel engines with high compression ratios. By eliminating the torsion spikes, the system eliminates any potential damage to the transmission gear teeth. If the dual mass flywheel was not used, the torsional frequencies could damage to the transmission.
The dual mass flywheel construction relocates the damper from the driven disc to the engine flywheel. This repositioning dampens engine torsional vibrations more than is possible with standard clutch disc dampening technology.

Old 09-07-2008, 04:11 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

The dampening in a single mass flywheel vehicle come in the clutch disc itself. Single mass and dampening in the clutch disc is how the whole rest of the work does it except Ford on its diesel trucks. The dual mass flywheel is expensive and last about 100K. The single mass is cheaper and will last much longer.

Quick Reply: need a new clutch