2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To those of you with ticking 5.4L motors

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 06:06 PM
Ford Man Since Birth
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did you use a different oil filter? Thanks

Old 01-13-2011, 07:01 PM
fredfloresville
New User
tickin noise

you are right about valve issue there is a service bulletin on it based on engine date have 92k on mine and dealer is fixin it currently covered under extracare warranty dont let em put you off till warranty goes away... good luck

Old 01-14-2011, 07:25 AM
golddirt
Senior User
well 07 5.4 back in shop now with ticking after right side lifters were replaced and now said journals are scored. they have a price to stay below on powertrain warranty and if it exccedes, i assume new motor. they said befor that journals were plugged with gunk which i dont know. bought it in 09 with 31000 on it and changed oil between 3 and 5 thousand depending on driving style at time and always used motorcraft filters. dont know about 1st owner. hope to hear back from them today.

Old 01-28-2011, 07:18 AM
Ford Man Since Birth
New User
Originally Posted by Ford Man Since Birth
My 2005 has 98000 miles on iy and the lifter noise is loud as heck. Other than that it runs great. I think I will try the 15w40 oil, I'll let you know if this works.
Well i got around to changing the oil to 5w40. After it first statarted i was in heaven. No more ticking or tapping. It was amazing. Then about an hour down the road, it came right back to were it was if not worse. WTF. Now what.

Old 01-28-2011, 07:43 AM
l-m tech
Posting Guru
i recently pulled a motor out because of a low oil pressure issue and vct over/under retarded condition.i did a base oil pressure test and at a hot idle it only had 5 psi of pressure.i have ran into this a lot and had to come up with a way to figure out the problem.i installed the engine on a stand,stripped it down to a bare long block.i cut a welded up a old oilpump pickup tube and installed it on the engine.i removed the oil pressure sending unit and installed a 2 quart injector flush container that you pressurize up with shop air and filled it up with 5w30 engine oil and pressured up the engine.you wouldnt beleive how much oilpressure is lost between the timing chain tensioner and the block mating surface.when i pulled the tensioners off i found the seal(really ****y desing and weak)had failed on both of them.i installed new tensioners and retested.and the system seled up well.with the engine back in and running it now had 30 psi at hot idle and no more rattles.the amount of oil blowing out between the tensioners and block was huge to say the least.just thought i would share this little bit of info i had.this dosnt mean that its gonna fix every one of them but i have fixed several this way.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:08 AM
jsoko
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
l-m tech thanks for your post

never thought of the timing chain tensioner and the block mating surface

any opinion on useing oil heavier than 5W20 ?

Old 01-28-2011, 08:20 AM
golddirt
Senior User
well they got a new head and cam put on mine, took it for a test drive and whammo, the tick is still there!! i am wondering how long they are going to keep throwing bandaids at it before they do the obvious since the engineer's cant even figure out what is wrong. been 3 weeks without it. the flushing test sounds good but this engine is still under warranty with 47000 on it

Old 01-28-2011, 08:42 AM
l-m tech
Posting Guru
these engines are woopinthe techs at the dealership.they dont have the time to investigate the real problem.they just see the end result.i have seen stoped up pickup tubes from debris pluggin it up.these engines dont like 5 k oil changes.i think the area inthe cyl. head around the lifters runns really hot(hot spot) and it cooks the crap out of the engines oil.i use a synthetic blend oil 5w30 in my shop on these trucks.and preach to my customers to change there oil at 3 k.fortunatly i have the time to find the problems that are the techs at the dealership cant aford the time to look for.its common to see these engines with cam bores wiped out and damaged cam.theres a reason for it and if you dont find it it will happen again.if you have a manual gauge on the vehicle and it reads 40 psi then the cylinderheads are only getting 20.this all is just my ideas and theories to this engine seeings how i mainly work on them and 6.0 diesels in my shop.

Old 01-28-2011, 03:47 PM
golddirt
Senior User
well its another blockage! dont know what it is called but is located around the timing gear, also something about a plug behind the gear that when it was removed oil came out and wasnt supposed too? i'll stick with the 3k change and have always used castol 5/20..

Old 03-20-2011, 03:54 PM
parrfict
Junior User
04 5.4l. Had my cam Phasers replaced under ESP and there was no change at all. Sure glad I didnt have to pay for that $3300 bill. Im thinking it might be the VCT sensors on that side. I mentoned it to the stealership about the VCT sensor but, I got a look like what does this guy know, ( I really dont know for sure!) but when I put the stethiscope on it, sure sounds like its coming from there. Plan to replace the passenger side soon.
Cant wait to get this tick taken care of. Been going on now for 20000 miles. I have 65 k on her now. Driving me Frickin Nuts

Old 03-21-2011, 01:40 PM
RSCHAP1
Laughing Gas
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I have an 04 now.
Got about 3500 miles on the oil in it right now and noticed a little more noise from the cam area then previously.
Hoping the oil change will quite it some.
I did not realize these motors had the variable timing but now that I know...
I have read a lot on here about reasons to avoid thicker oil when I was looking at Navigators with more cams.
I am not planning on doing that.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:49 PM
thunderingtiger
New User
I just bought a 2005 F150 SuperCrew 5.4 V8 about 2 weeks ago. I did purchase the after market extended warranty 3 years or 36,000 miles. I took the truck in to the dealer
due to a slight gas smell coming through the AC vents , and for a minor mechanical issue (power door lock). I also noticed the ticking noise under the hood ,but thought it was probably a belt or something minor . So I told the service guy to go ahead and check the ticking noise . Service guy calls me 2 days later and says the power door lock is under warranty and will be fixed. He says the gas smell was fixed with the vaccum hose recall that they replace (Im thinking Bull crap its probably fuel injectors or something llike that and I will still smell it when i pick it up ).He tells me the ticking is because of the use of an after market oil filter because the oil cant get to the top of the engine .If I had known I would of put A Motorcraft oil change and filter on it before i brought it in !!! I'm also thinking hes full of crap on this issue and I begin to tell him what I think it is cam shaft , phasers ,etc. and he agrees and says that he will have to run it through the after market warranty people and they probably wont want to pay for it !!!! The vehicle does run good and has good power . I just dont want this ticking to become a major repair issue in the future . Any suggestions ?
http://www.stangnet.com/images/stori...s/06-19-08.pdf

Old 03-22-2011, 08:57 PM
2007F150FX4
Junior User
My 07 has had the start-up tick since around 30K. Im at 70k now with no change. Sometimes it does it, other times it wont. I change the oil every 3k-4k miles with motorcraft 5-20 and FL-820S motorcraft filter.

By the time I had a chance to take it into the dealership I had about 39K on it and they wanted nothing to do with it unless I was paying. I called the Ford customer service line and got nothing but an attitude and a headache.

Not sure what to do but I cant afford to tear into the engine.

Who makes the best oil pressure guage and where is the best place to hook it up?

Old 03-24-2011, 02:14 PM
EffOne50
New User
I have an 04 5.4L also with the infamous tick. My question is should this diesel sounding tick happen every time the truck is started and being used? Is that how it is on most peoples truck? The reason i'm asking is because sometimes when i do start the truck it sounds perfectly normal, not a hint of a tick or noise anywhere! Then after a ride if I stop and listen to the engine I can hear the tick.

I've read everything on here about cam phasers and vct solenoids, any educated guesses or ideas about this situation?

Old 03-24-2011, 03:32 PM
parrfict
Junior User
The only time I dont hear the ticking noise in my truck is when I turn the radio up. HaHaHa

Quick Reply: To those of you with ticking 5.4L motors