Nebraska Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: 97nukeford

September B/S and chat thread, all welcome!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 02:40 PM
cowboywanabe
Posting Legend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hapkidoman
Just because the Seahawks lost to the Steelers doesnt mean the Browns cant beat them.

Q: Where do you go in Cleveland in case of a tornado?

A: Browns Stadium - they never have a touchdown there .

Old 09-02-2008, 02:44 PM
hapkidoman
Posting Guru
I believe Derek Anderson had more touchdown passes then Rothlesberger.

Old 09-02-2008, 02:46 PM
cowboywanabe
Posting Legend
I believe Derek Anderson had more touchdown passes then Rothlesberger.
Now don't be messing up my jokes with facts!!!

Q: Why doesn’t Columbus, Ohio have a professional football team?

A: Because then Cleveland would want one.

Old 09-02-2008, 02:48 PM
hapkidoman
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by cowboywanabe

That one was pretty good but i substitute Cincinnati for that one

Old 09-02-2008, 02:52 PM
67nukeford
Super Moderator
Received 222 Likes on 181 Posts
I am in . I have some Browns stuff I can bring for Dallas .
And I'll be sure to bring some more Steelers stuff...
See, I knew this was going to be fun!!

Pat made me do it... don't let him fool you, he has that death-ray-thing he can use...
Nope, didn't have anything to do with that guys...personally, I think Rob is just a glutton for punishment....

Old 09-02-2008, 02:53 PM
67nukeford
Super Moderator

heeheehee...That is funny!!

Old 09-02-2008, 03:38 PM
RedUgly77
Postmaster

I love it.. The Steelers and the Browns have had a rivalry way longer than the Seahawks and Steelers.. I have been waiting on either of you to unload on the other with jokes!

Those are great Rob!

Old 09-02-2008, 03:44 PM
67nukeford
Super Moderator
Well, gents, since I get off at four this week, I'm going to get ready to get out of here. You guys have a good one, I'll talk at ya' tomorrow. BTW, Dallas, where is our daily KOOKage??????LOL!

Old 09-02-2008, 03:46 PM
cowboywanabe
Posting Legend
Brown bashing is a way of life in Pittsburgh... I don't think I've ever heard why it started, it's just always been that way.

Old 09-02-2008, 03:51 PM
RedUgly77
Postmaster
I am in . I have some Browns stuff I can bring for Dallas .
like toilet paper? so after i'm done "taking the Browns (poop) to the superbowl (toilet)" i can wipe up?

And I'll be sure to bring some more Steelers stuff...
Bring the towel.. my toilet is overflowing! Need to cleen up the brown(s) streaks on the floor.

Old 09-02-2008, 03:58 PM
RedUgly77
Postmaster
for Rob......

KOOK OF THE DAY!!!!

Happy birthday to NFL hall-of-famer Terry Bradshaw, who turns 60 today. Bradshaw led the Pittsburgh Steelers; the only pro team he played for, to four Super Bowl wins (1975, 1976, 1979 and 1980) and eight AFC Central championships. Though he retired from playing the game in 1983, Bradshaw didn't stop loving it and living it; he went straight to being an NFL analyst on television, first on CBS and later on Fox. He also cut several country albums and continues to turn up in guest roles on TV and movies, including Failure to Launch, where he played Matthew McConau****'s father.

Quote: "I got hammered plenty of times through the years. But you just get up and keep playing. I can tell you from experience, though. Sometimes it hurts like hell." <NOBR>— Terry</NOBR> Bradshaw

Matt Hasselbeck w/ Terry Bradshaw after game.

Old 09-02-2008, 03:58 PM
cowboywanabe
Posting Legend
Way back in January 1979, my oldest sister was in high school and her first car was a '72 Montego.... gold with a black vinyl top. She covered it with streamers and signs calling it "the terrible car" and terrorized the neighborhood on Superbowl Sunday.

Old 09-02-2008, 04:01 PM
cowboywanabe
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by RedUgly77
for Rob......

KOOK OF THE DAY!!!!

Happy birthday to NFL hall-of-famer Terry Bradshaw, who turns 60 today. Bradshaw led the Pittsburgh Steelers; the only pro team he played for, to four Super Bowl wins (1975, 1976, 1979 and 1980) and eight AFC Central championships. Though he retired from playing the game in 1983, Bradshaw didn't stop loving it and living it; he went straight to being an NFL analyst on television, first on CBS and later on Fox. He also cut several country albums and continues to turn up in guest roles on TV and movies, including Failure to Launch, where he played Matthew McConau****'s father.

Quote: "I got hammered plenty of times through the years. But you just get up and keep playing. I can tell you from experience, though. Sometimes it hurts like hell." <NOBR>— Terry</NOBR> Bradshaw

Matt Hasselbeck w/ Terry Bradshaw after game.

Cool! Thanks Dallas... I'll be nice for a couple days now.

Old 09-02-2008, 04:08 PM
RedUgly77
Postmaster
Brown bashing is a way of life in Pittsburgh... I don't think I've ever heard why it started, it's just always been that way.
Another.. KOOK OF THE DAY!

The Browns-Steelers rivalry is one of the most storied rivalries in the NFL. The rivalry has been called locally the Turnpike Rivalry, due to the two cities being connected via the Pennsylvania and Ohio Turnpikes. The Browns and Steelers first met in 1950, the Browns' first in the NFL after dominating the AAFC. At 112 meetings and counting, it is the oldest rivalry in the AFC.
Early on, the Browns, one of the NFL's best teams during this period, dominated the rivalry. The Steelers didn't even get their first win against the Browns until 1954. As a result, the rivalry was mainly fueled by the proximity between the two cities, only 112 miles apart. The cities are so close that the Youngstown, Ohio television market has dual rights to both teams, as Youngstown is roughly located at the halfway mark between the two cities and is within the 75-mile blackout radius for both teams. (Both teams have such strong fan bases that neither team has had a blackout since the current rules were implemented in 1973.) The fan base in that area is roughly split 50/50 between the Steelers and Browns.

The rivalry would carry over to the newly-formed AFC in 1970 as the two teams and the then-Baltimore Colts joined the former AFL teams in the conference as part of the AFL-NFL merger. The newly-merged league needed to move three teams from the "old" NFL to the AFC so that the two conferences had 13 teams even. (The rest of the "old" NFL teams joined the newly-formed NFC.) Then-Browns owner Art Modell immediately volunteered the Browns to move to the AFC because of a potential intrastate rivalry with the Cincinnati Bengals (as well as his personal animosity with Paul Brown at the time), and was able to convince Art Rooney to join him in the AFC in order to continue the rivalry.

However, in the 1970s the Steelers had begun to even the playing field with the Browns, led by head coach Chuck Noll, a Cleveland native and former Browns linebacker. By then, the rivalry between the two clubs was more hostile and personal, as evident in the 1976 matchup at Cleveland Municipal Stadium, when Joe "Turkey" Jones viciously sacked Terry Bradshaw after the whistle had been blown. Bradshaw would suffer a neck injury from the play, and the footage of the sack has since become immortalized in NFL Films as part of the rivalry. During this decade, the Steelers would win four Super Bowls.

While the two would exchange victories in the 1970s and 1980s, by the 1990s the Steelers would become the dominant team in the rivalry. Since the Browns' last series sweep in 1988, the Steelers have an overwhelming 26-8 mark against the Browns, enough that the Steelers took over the lead in the all-time series for the first time in 2007, which they currently lead at 57-55. During most of this time, Bill Cowher was head coach of the Steelers. Cowher, a native of the Pittsburgh suburb of Crafton, also played linebacker for the Browns (though unlike Noll, Cowher mostly played special teams), and also served as an assistant in Cleveland under Marty Schottenheimer, himself a native of another Pittsburgh area town, Canonsburg.

The Steelers also have a 2-0 record against the Browns in the playoffs, with both games taking place in Pittsburgh.

The rivalry took a brief hiatus from 1996-1998 due to the Cleveland Browns relocation controversy. Partially due to the rivalry and partially out of respect, Pittsburgh was one of the few cities alongside Cleveland to protest the move. While Browns fans still consider the Steelers as their main archrival, many Steelers fans consider their rivalry with the Baltimore Ravens the "spiritual" successor to this rivalry due to Art Modell moving the old Browns to Baltimore, even though the recent one-sidedness of this rivalry has influenced this thinking as well. Nevertheless, it is still heated between both teams and one of the more heated rivalries in the NFL.

Old 09-02-2008, 04:15 PM
RedUgly77
Postmaster
and to add to that.. a little trivia if you will..
  • The Three Rivers Jinx. When the Steelers moved to Three Rivers Stadium in 1970, they defeated the Browns 16 straight times before the Browns finally broke through with a win in 1986. The Browns eventually went on to post a miserable all-time mark (5-24, .172) at the stadium from 1970-2000. The Browns have also been having trouble gaining victories at Heinz Field with the Steelers winning 7 out of the 8 times they have met in Pittsburgh's current stadium. The Steelers have likewise dominated at Cleveland Browns Stadium, currently sporting an 8-1 record. The Steelers had posted a less-than-spectacular record (14-32, .304) at the Browns' old facility, Cleveland Municipal Stadium, from 1950-1995.
  • The greatest defeat in Steelers history occurred on the season opener of the 1989 NFL Season in Pittsburgh when the Browns won 51-0.
Nearly ten years to the day, when the Browns returned to the league, the Steelers defeated them in their franchise opener 43-0, still the revived Browns' worst loss.
  • When the league was voting on the Browns relocation, Steelers owner Dan Rooney was one of only two owners to vote against the move. In tribute of Cleveland losing the Browns, Steeler fans wore orange arm bands to the final game at Three Rivers Stadium as a sign of mutual respect and sorrow for losing a great rivalry.

Quick Reply: September B/S and chat thread, all welcome!!