Engine underwater...

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 01:46 AM
TheNomad
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Engine underwater...

Well here in Lubbock he had more rain in the laste two days then in all of Lubbocks recorded history, the shelter I had my truck parked under collapsed on my truck, I had the hood off and the Air cleaner off my engine and guess where all that water went.
I took the carb off and the manifold was over flowing with water, so I sucked as much water as I could out of the manifold then took the plugs out and spun the engine and watched water explode out of the plug holes, I then filled the cylinders with Mystery oil then spun it again then filled them back up again and replugged it I did a oil change then added some more Mystery oil to the oil. I can't start it my carb is dead and my new carb wont be here until Tuesday.
Was this enough to save my 460 or have the cylinders all ready flashed rusted to hell and gone?

Old 09-13-2008, 05:32 AM
Dirt racer
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As long as you got the water out and put oil in the cylinders I think it would be ok. If you don't let it set too long, the rings will clean it up. Went through a lot of that when I worked at a Ford dealership in Iowa in 93. Short term everything would look good. If you let it set a long time like that I would think it would be bad.

Old 09-18-2008, 09:52 PM
WILDEBILL308
Senior User

I think aslong as you draind the water out as soon as you did and oiled it it will be ok.
Bill

Old 09-18-2008, 10:12 PM
Bear 45/70
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I learned over the years that they only guaranteed way to make sure you save an engine that was full of water is to drain the water the best you can, drain the oil and filter, reinstall the old filter and fill with diesel or kerosene (it's the same stuff, just different grades) crank it over a dozen or two times. Drain and fill with kerosene or diesel again and crank again. Drain fill with oil and R&R the filter and start and run the engine for 15 to 20 minutes. Drain the oil and change to a new filter and oil and run again as many times as necessary until the oil stays clear (doesn't get milky). Having been a marine mechanic I dealt with this issue many times. Anything else is iffy at best.

Old 09-19-2008, 02:54 AM
TheNomad
Elder User
Will it runs now and it seems the carb I got isn't any good, no matter what I do this truck eats carbs I put on it. Its really starting to get on my last thread, the Holley went to hell then I got a Edelbrock and that one went to hell, I should have never ever given the carb that came on the truck away I don't know what in gods good name I was thinking this truck is getting sold for what ever on earth some one will give me for it as soon as I get another carb like it had on it again. Bad luck has fallowed me with this truck ever since I started working on it. I"m starting to question my other truck to, I think I may be getting rid of them both.

Old 09-19-2008, 10:01 AM
Bear 45/70
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by TheNomad
Will it runs now and it seems the carb I got isn't any good, no matter what I do this truck eats carbs I put on it. Its really starting to get on my last thread, the Holley went to hell then I got a Edelbrock and that one went to hell, I should have never ever given the carb that came on the truck away I don't know what in gods good name I was thinking this truck is getting sold for what ever on earth some one will give me for it as soon as I get another carb like it had on it again. Bad luck has fallowed me with this truck ever since I started working on it. I"m starting to question my other truck to, I think I may be getting rid of them both.
Sounds to me like you have a nasty gas tank, as an engine just does not tear up a carb. What you should get is a good spin-on fuel filter. That will probably solve the problem. Like on of these from Mercury Marine.

Water Separating Fuel Filter Kit

Old 09-19-2008, 12:31 PM
TheNomad
Elder User
When I got the truck it had a Edelbrock 750 on it I wanted to go with a Holley so I traded it to some one on here for a Holley 600cfm and the truck hasn't run since every carb I put on the truck it has the same symptoms gas just pours out of the boosters they do not respond to tuning no matter what size jets of Power valves. so I put my old Edelbrock on the truck and the same thing gas just pours out of the boosters. that old Edelbrock that came with the truck ran great not even the littlest hick up. I have two fuel filters on the truck i've replaced all the fuel lines and cleaned the tanks out. I don't think a water separator is going to help much.

Old 09-19-2008, 02:37 PM
Bear 45/70
Post Fiend
It's not primarily about water. It is about a dirty gas tank delivering dirty fuel to the carb causing you stuck open needle. The nice thing about these filter is that they filter very well and take any water out of the fuel also. They are easy to change and you can pull the filter and dump the fuel in it in a glass jar and see what kind of crap you are keeping out of your carb. There is no other way for the numerous carbs you have tried to go bad, except for dirty fuel.

Old 09-19-2008, 03:27 PM
80demoace
Junior User
I currently drive a Chevy, yeah I know its the wrong brand but when I bought it she had been completly flooded. I drained the engine flushed w/ diesel fuel 3-4 times. Then two 100 mile oil changes...runs like a champ 2 years later. The auto trans was another story though, it was full of sand and crap in the pan when I changed the fluid. The TH-400 lasted about a week thats including me changing the fluid/filter twice and getting it flushed. I would say the motor will hold up for you but do a good job changing ALL the fluids. If the motor got water in it so did everything else.

Old 09-19-2008, 05:28 PM
TheNomad
Elder User
Well Whats a good inline filter?

Old 09-19-2008, 05:41 PM
Bear 45/70
Post Fiend
You can find the same basic filter at most auto parts stores for a lot less money. If you opt to go cheap, then just go get a filter you can at least see into.

Old 09-19-2008, 06:15 PM
TheNomad
Elder User
Hmm cool and what on earth is gimp racing?

Old 09-19-2008, 06:34 PM
Bear 45/70
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by TheNomad
Hmm cool and what on earth is gimp racing?
I was retired to disability 6 years ago. I have a number of different physical handicaps, fortunately not enough to confine me to a wheelchair. I have a bad left knee, with 4 screws and 2 pins and a bone graft from my pelvis and a crushed right foot that sort of still works. I most differently walk with a pronounced limp on both sides. Hence I am gimped up, gimpy as we disabled guys say. When I raced it was under the banner of Bear Racing Team. Now it is Gimp Racing Team. So I am still getting to the finish line. I also belong to ORG, that's Old Retired Guys.

Old 09-19-2008, 07:03 PM
TheNomad
Elder User
Wow thats awesome and sucks at the same time. But if that day ever dose come I think I found some thing you may be interested in
you sound like a hell of a guy Bear got a great view to.

Old 09-19-2008, 10:47 PM
Bear 45/70
Post Fiend
Nay, this is my preferred transportation device.

Quick Reply: Engine underwater...