engine to tranny troubles

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 04:49 PM
brian868v
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
engine to tranny troubles

<HR style="COLOR: #d1d1e1" SIZE=1 itxtvisited="1"> <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message --><TABLE width="100%" border=0 itxtvisited="1"><TBODY itxtvisited="1"><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD vAlign=top itxtvisited="1">my brother and i are having trouble getting his 351w to bolt up to his c6 tranny. the engine is in the truck and bolted down, the tranny is loose, just sitting on the crossmember and transfer case is out. we have the tranny pushed up against the motor but still have a 1/4 to 1/2in. gap in between the two. im not to sure if we did something wrong or there is a trick to doing it. we can thread the bolts in but i dont want to tighten them until everything is flush. any help is appreciated.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Old 08-28-2008, 08:09 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
You don't have the torque converter fully seated, and/or the torque converter studs are not aligned with the holes in the flex plate.

Is the torque converter front face inside the edge of the bellhousing? If it is even with the edge or sticking out it isn't all the way in. To get it in further the torque converter has to be rotated, sometimes many, many turns, while lightly pushing it towards the trans. I've found that it works best to stand the trans on end with the torque converter up, and turn it until it drops below the edge of the bellhousing.

Old 08-31-2008, 10:00 AM
brian868v
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well i got it in today. i just had to back the tranny up and rotate the motor and push the tranny foward until it seated right. thanks