6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

6.7 now? Ford has got to be kidding

Old 08-28-2008, 01:27 PM
elemint
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6.7 now? Ford has got to be kidding

Ford changes engines faster than computers get switched out. 7.3,6.0.6.4 and now the 6.7 and 4.4 in less than 10 years! How about get ONE GREAT engine and continually improving on it? Who is making these insane desisions at Ford anyway? It is not like these new engines are any improvement on MPG or real meaningful performance.

Old 08-28-2008, 01:47 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Because of emissions? Look what happened when ford tried to continually improve the 302, 351 and the 460. In 1994 you had a fuel injected 460 putting out what? 250HP? There is only so much you can do before you have to scrap it and start over. Also, it was international's decision, and not fords for the 7.3-6.0-6.4 thing. The 6.0 is not a *completely* new design, it still had the HEUI injection system from the 7.3, and you could call the 6.4 an evolution of the 6.0 with common rail fuel injection, and a bunch of other goodies.

The new 6.7 and 4.4 is because Ford is not renewing the contract with international because of the 6.0 fiasco.

Look at the Cummins 6.7 , they "Improved" on the 5.9, and now your having EGR, Turbo, DPF, Rod, etc.. failure.

As far as performance, the 6.4 has something like 100 HP and 200 ft-lbs more stock then the 7.3, and if you haven't been paying attention, the 6.4 can put out massive power, VERY easily.

Old 08-28-2008, 02:09 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Changing displacements means the engine is different, but it is only the more obvious sign.
\
cummins 5.9's have changed lots too, just never the displacement.

If every ford engine was a 7.3, but all with the same changes, that wouldnt have made them any better. 5.9's have suffered from many many problems, including serious casting quality control issues. 5.9's went from 12v to 24v on the same block, when ford went to the 6.0 engine.

the reduction in displacement imho is for fuel efficiency, and emmission regs, so there was no choice in the matter.

Old 08-28-2008, 10:26 PM
Svets96
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can't wait till Ford starts makin thier own diesel engine. I think it will be pretty good. Look at the modular gas engines, thier very reliable, one in particular had gone over one million miles. Granted it will take some time but with alot of patience the ball will be in Ford's court.

Old 08-29-2008, 06:54 AM
rob_nc
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Svets96
Can't wait till Ford starts makin thier own diesel engine. I think it will be pretty good. Look at the modular gas engines, thier very reliable, one in particular had gone over one million miles. Granted it will take some time but with alot of patience the ball will be in Ford's court.

I am hoping, by having an in-house engine, Ford will be able to offer it to the customer without the huge markup that is traditionaly seen with vendor engines. This will also place the ball firmly in Ford's court.

Old 08-29-2008, 08:15 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by rob_nc
I am hoping, by having an in-house engine, Ford will be able to offer it to the customer without the huge markup that is traditionaly seen with vendor engines. This will also place the ball firmly in Ford's court.
They wont have the markup, but rest assured they keep the profit .

Old 08-29-2008, 07:53 PM
dzldude
Senior User
all i know is, im gettin 1 when they come out.

Old 08-30-2008, 01:48 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by dzldude
all i know is, im gettin 1 when they come out.
I think the 7.3 and 5.9's may have been the last of the heavy duty pickup engine with diesel power still the spirit.

IMHO were going to see more and more high revving engines, lots of turbo and horsepower, lots of aluminum parts, and lower and lower lifespans.

Old 08-30-2008, 08:43 AM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by parkland
I think the 7.3 and 5.9's may have been the last of the heavy duty pickup engine with diesel power still the spirit.

IMHO were going to see more and more high revving engines, lots of turbo and horsepower, lots of aluminum parts, and lower and lower lifespans.

Eh? Only Ford's diesels are the ones that seem to have power a little higher in the rev range. The Cummins 6.7 makes peak power at 3013 RPM, and creates peak torque at 1400 RPM. Duramax 360HP @ 3200 RPM, 660 ft-lbs @1600 RPM. 6.4 PSD, 350HP @ 3000 RPM, 650 ft-lbs @ 2000 RPM. The PSD and Cummins are sill all cast iron, the duramax just has aluminum heads.

The old first gen 12 valves made peak HP at about 2600 RPM, and peak torque I think at the same RPM. So 400 RPM increase in 14 years. Anyways, the higher they can get the maximum RPM without affect low end torque, the better. Why do you think tractor trailers have so many gears? Because their engines realisticly only have a useable RPM range from about 800-1600.

Old 08-30-2008, 09:59 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
Yeah, but the upcoming years will undoubtedly call for more changes yet.

I see OHC, dual injectors per cylinder, a lot more sensors....

Old 08-30-2008, 10:36 AM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Yeah, but the upcoming years will undoubtedly call for more changes yet.

I see OHC, dual injectors per cylinder, a lot more sensors....
OHC On diesels is nothing new, Mercedes has been doing it since the 70s and 80s, and those were some of the most reliable diesel engines of all time. The 2010 RAM 1500 will have a 5.6L OHC V8 Cummins.

There is nothing wrong with dual injectors per cylinder either, more even burn, more power (potential to make even more power with just a tuner!). Also current diesels pretty much have as many sensors as you would ever need, the computer monitors everything. DPF Backpressure, EGT, Boost, EGR, Oil pressure, coolant temp, intake air temp, cylinder contribution balance, etc..

Old 08-30-2008, 11:00 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Lead Head
OHC On diesels is nothing new, Mercedes has been doing it since the 70s and 80s, and those were some of the most reliable diesel engines of all time. The 2010 RAM 1500 will have a 5.6L OHC V8 Cummins.

There is nothing wrong with dual injectors per cylinder either, more even burn, more power (potential to make even more power with just a tuner!). Also current diesels pretty much have as many sensors as you would ever need, the computer monitors everything. DPF Backpressure, EGT, Boost, EGR, Oil pressure, coolant temp, intake air temp, cylinder contribution balance, etc..
All these things sound great, but for some reason why do i feel like it will be a nightmare when it comes to maintenance???

Old 08-30-2008, 11:13 AM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
All these things sound great, but for some reason why do i feel like it will be a nightmare when it comes to maintenance???
There is really nothing more you have to do. Change the oil, change the air filter. Newer engines and vehicles are being designed with all these sensors and other stuff in mind, making it easier to do maintenance.

Take the new 6.4 Super Duties, I've read here that they have been designed so that the cab can come off quickly and easily. I'm pretty sure here I read that one shop had gotten it down to something like 45 minutes to take the cab off.

Old 08-30-2008, 11:45 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Lead Head
There is really nothing more you have to do. Change the oil, change the air filter. Newer engines and vehicles are being designed with all these sensors and other stuff in mind, making it easier to do maintenance.

Take the new 6.4 Super Duties, I've read here that they have been designed so that the cab can come off quickly and easily. I'm pretty sure here I read that one shop had gotten it down to something like 45 minutes to take the cab off.
In your opinion, do you think the 6.4, or 6.7 will go the same miles 7.3 will, with minor problems?

Old 08-30-2008, 12:11 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
In your opinion, do you think the 6.4, or 6.7 will go the same miles 7.3 will, with minor problems?
I believe a 6.4 will. Hard to guess on the 6.7, since its not even out yet.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 6.7 now? Ford has got to be kidding