Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6.7 now? Ford has got to be kidding

Old 11-06-2008, 06:14 PM
REDFORDFX4
Senior User
REDFORDFX4 is starting off with a positive reputation.
"the new duramax is supposed to have 750 ft-lbs, and 500 hp stock. how is ford going to copmete with numbers like that without a whole new engine design and more technology"

Is this not exactly what the new 6.7 is suppose to be at also?

Old 11-06-2008, 07:18 PM
Lead Head
Post Fiend
Lead Head is a name known to allLead Head is a name known to allLead Head is a name known to allLead Head is a name known to allLead Head is a name known to allLead Head is a name known to all
I doubt we will be seeing 500HP in a diesel in a pickup truck stock anytime soon. 500HP and 750 ft-lbs also seems to point to the engine being more of a high-revving engine then the diesels we have right now. 500HP should be 1000 ft-lbs at a minimum.

Old 11-06-2008, 07:30 PM
FordTechASE
New User
FordTechASE is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Carl Lassiter View Post
Where did you hear this and what are the projected dates. I bleed blue but this has perked my interest.
I read this in the October issue of "Diesel Power" and varios places online.
there going to have a 6.9l block and possibly the same technology that new smaller 4.8L GM diesel will have. Both of these will be in-house engines.

Originally Posted by REDFORDFX4 View Post
"the new duramax is supposed to have 750 ft-lbs, and 500 hp stock. how is ford going to copmete with numbers like that without a whole new engine design and more technology"

Is this not exactly what the new 6.7 is suppose to be at also?
Not with the preliminary numbers fords been saying.

Originally Posted by Lead Head View Post
I doubt we will be seeing 500HP in a diesel in a pickup truck stock anytime soon. 500HP and 750 ft-lbs also seems to point to the engine being more of a high-revving engine then the diesels we have right now. 500HP should be 1000 ft-lbs at a minimum.
Bigger displacement, shorter stroke, higher revs. They have to do this to meet tier 2 emissions laws. along with urea injection and DPF. Honda has met these emissions in there diesel engine car that is coming out this fall sometime, with a completely different setup. Its only a matter of time until the domestics follow this.

Old 11-06-2008, 07:55 PM
Lead Head
Post Fiend
Lead Head is a name known to allLead Head is a name known to allLead Head is a name known to allLead Head is a name known to allLead Head is a name known to allLead Head is a name known to all
Originally Posted by FordTechASE View Post
I read this in the October issue of "Diesel Power" and varios places online.
there going to have a 6.9l block and possibly the same technology that new smaller 4.8L GM diesel will have. Both of these will be in-house engines.

Not with the preliminary numbers fords been saying.

Bigger displacement, shorter stroke, higher revs. They have to do this to meet tier 2 emissions laws. along with urea injection and DPF. Honda has met these emissions in there diesel engine car that is coming out this fall sometime, with a completely different setup. Its only a matter of time until the domestics follow this.
..and then people stop buying Diesels because there will be no point. They will no longer be better for towing.

Old 11-06-2008, 07:57 PM
FordTechASE
New User
FordTechASE is starting off with a positive reputation.
They still have tons of power. Engine design is not the only factor in how powerful diesels are. The main ingredient is the diesel fuel. Diesel fuel has an extremely large energy potential. Thats why they will be used until hydrogen cars become more popular

Old 11-12-2008, 09:27 AM
meanv10
Elder User
meanv10 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by blue ghost View Post
You are mistaken about the big rigs. You will burn one up if you try to work it at 800 rpm's. 1200 is peak torque. 1400 to 1600 will give best fuel economy. They will pull all the way up to 2000.
I wont run mine below 11/12 and have only ever had it above 21 once.

Old 11-12-2008, 09:30 AM
meanv10
Elder User
Originally Posted by Lead Head View Post
..and then people stop buying Diesels because there will be no point. They will no longer be better for towing.
Thats what the v10s are for, with the 6.4 getting such crappy mileage and the 3v v10 putting out so much power, coupled with cheaper gas and lower maintenance costs. Its harder to pay a premium for diesel motors. well at least it was for me.

Old 11-14-2008, 06:30 PM
smokin_h
Freshman User
smokin_h is starting off with a positive reputation.
The EPA is one of those organizations that just plain stinks. I work with them in my job as a health inspector on a real regular basis....granted I dont deal w/ the air quality division and the people who make the emissions laws...but I do deal with them for many other programs. The people who make the laws have no common sense. For example there are very strict regulations on landfills (no problem right) but you are allowed to open dump on your property just as long as you are the sole producer of the waste and it does not cause harm to others...is it me or is that absolutely retarded?? These people are absolutely retarded with no common sense when they write their laws. The emissions regualtions are just another prime example of this....THe EPA is just another worthless government agency that tends to do more harm than good. (I agree that the EPA has done some good things...but for cryin out loud these people need to have a working knowlege about things they make reguations for like maybe an engineer that knows about diesel engines???) Just my 2 cents....im always up for a good EPA bashing party...I feel sorry for the auto makers that have to deal with these peoples retard laws and regs....hopefully Ford can find a solution...im real eager to see the new engine in action!!!

Old 11-15-2008, 09:19 AM
meanv10
Elder User
You have to realize that all of the government is like this, look at congress and the CAFE standards that are slowly killing the auto industry, they are not automotive engineers but they think they know and mandate it into law, Just like the bail out of all those banks it did nothing but they all said if they didn't do it our economy would collapse, instead of just letting the free market correct, If they would have we would probable be out of this problem, but banks arnt lending to each other because they cant look at the debts and assets of other banks because they dont know what the government will end up buying back. Or the thing that got us in this mess Congress mandating Sub-prime home loans to people that could never pay them back and the banks had to leand the money, this didn't happen because of lack of regulation it was because of to much regulation. Then you have all the drilling controversies, we cant drill in Alaska or off of our own coasts because they think it could harm the environment and that they know whats best even thought they bitch and say oil companies are ripping people off when they wont let they drill, then there is ethanol what a joke if it wasn't constantly being propped up by all the taxins entives it would fall flat on its face. Or government is wasteful and unproductive, Obama wont change it, I like the guy, but nothing will change and it makes me sick to think a third of our budget is waste that over a trillion dollars.

Thats my rant and from now on ill stick to the topic

Old 11-22-2008, 01:43 PM
5axis
New User
5axis is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by tch.280 View Post
If our light duty diesel trucks had 8 or 10 gears and our useable RPM range was 800 to 1800 RPM we could probably run lower HP engines and probably increase our fuel efficiency by 30 to 40%.

My 2 cents
I'd buy that truck

Old 11-23-2008, 09:35 AM
meanv10
Elder User
Originally Posted by 5axis View Post
I'd buy that truck
Welcome to ford trucks

Old 11-29-2008, 08:56 PM
2 stroke man
Postmaster
2 stroke man is starting off with a positive reputation.
ford made some dandy seeming engines in the old 6.6 and 7.8 inline six engine that wwere in tractors, busses, and big f-series trucks

Old 11-30-2008, 10:05 AM
rob_nc
Posting Guru
rob_nc is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by 2 stroke man View Post
ford made some dandy seeming engines in the old 6.6 and 7.8 inline six engine that wwere in tractors, busses, and big f-series trucks
If you're referring to the engines made in Brazil, they couldn't have been that good since they aren't in production any longer.

Old 11-30-2008, 10:48 AM
Lead Head
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by rob_nc View Post
If you're referring to the engines made in Brazil, they couldn't have been that good since they aren't in production any longer.
They were modified farm tractor engines. Large displacement and not a lot of power

Old 11-30-2008, 04:27 PM
PWRPROD
Senior User
PWRPROD is starting off with a positive reputation.
A short story about emissions. I have a 77 M400 that made 175hp as manufactured and would pull nothing biger than a radio flyer. I tried to get aproval to put after market EFI of any type or MFG on at an overhaul and was told by CA EPA that this was never going to happen on their watch. If it didn't come from the factory it couldn't be used on that engine. It didn't make a hill of beans to them that the mods I wanted to make would greatly improve milage and emissions. They are GOD and what they say is the LAW in CA.
My point being that the manufacturers face the same mind set and attitude. Make it to do as we say or don't sell it here. CA. leads the pack. So if you want to be able to have your cake and eat it too tell your political leaders VERY LOUD AND VERY CLEAR.
sIDE NOTE: Low and Slow = Longevity & Volkswagen also builds small diesels that have been known to get 50 MPG and are clean.

PWRPROD

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 6.7 now? Ford has got to be kidding

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: