Oil & Lubrication  

Royal Purple Syn Oil

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 06:01 AM
Jeff Dodson
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Royal Purple Syn Oil

I am a Royal Purple fan. I run it in my Harley, my wifes Expedition (05) I want to put it in my 97 F250 5.8 4x4. Wgat I need to know, it has 175,000 miles on it. It runs great as it but I dont want it to start leaking oil everywhere. Will this be a problem it I switch to Synthetic Oil.

Old 08-28-2008, 11:18 PM
jasongt06
Senior User
Very unlikely as modern dino oil does a very good job of keeping build up from occuring and keepinging seals lubricated. The old synthetic causes leaks is nothing but a myth.

Old 08-29-2008, 07:36 AM
Ed
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If your engine is tight and currently not leaking or seeping oil now with whatever oil you are using, you will have no problems with Royal Purple Oil.

As Jason said, modern oils now, especially synthetics are quite compatible with engine seals and gaskets. I've seen guys complain about a synthetic leaking out of a valve cover, and upon further inspection, 4 valve cover bolts are not even finger tight, you could unscrew and remove them easily by hand. So things like that occur and give synthetic a bad rap.

I've used 5w30 Royal Purple in my Aerostar van (1987 XLT 3.0V6) and the van never leaked a drop, or used a drop of RP with 144,XXX miles. I parked it in the garage every night and when not in use, and the concrete garage floor is spotless...

Ed

Old 09-02-2008, 06:26 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
I don't see it being a problem other than the 7.00 a quart price tag.

Old 09-02-2008, 10:10 PM
Jeff Dodson
Elder User
Well I dont drive the truck, only on weekends. I have a take home ride that I go duty and off duty with at home. I work 10 hrs a day Mon-Thurs. I had a 91 F250 Dieseln that I out 7,000 miles on in the two years that I had it. I am wanting to put Synthetic because it sits so long. I dont have to worry so much about the dry start up after sitting, and I donthave to worry about the oil breaking down from getting old, Syn oil dont break down with age. Put it this way, I have to force myself to drive it on the weekends

Old 09-03-2008, 09:52 AM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Oil does not "break down" from age. Where did you hear that? Oxidation occurs at high temperatures and modern dino oils are full of additives to prevent oxidation. The only justifications for full synthetic today are 1) arctic cold starts, but you are in TX, and 2) extended drain intervals >10,000miles, but you hardly drive the thing.

Jim

Old 09-04-2008, 06:46 AM
Jeff Dodson
Elder User
Im not much of an oil expert, I know what works and which one I like. What about the saying change your oil every 3,000 miles or 3 months which ever comes first.

Old 09-04-2008, 12:57 PM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That saying is totally obsolete and is mainly "Iffy Lube" propaganda in order to increase income. Newer oil and additive chemistry, especially in "dino", combined with much tighter and cleaner running EFI engines mean that oil lasts much longer than decades ago. Fuels have much lower sulfur as well, making blowby gasses less harmful.

Jim

Old 09-04-2008, 05:51 PM
TheNomad
Elder User
When I was working for Penske trucking they had about 500 trucks on the road that where running different brands of Syn Oils and seeing how far in between changes they could go to save money and when I left Penske I talked to a driver that came through to get fuel and he side he was going to hit 150,000+ and last he heard was they tested in some of the trucks could hit 200,000 safely with Mobile One but thats in a rig and not in a stop and go driver, I have Rp in my 79 from the engine to the rear end and all I have done is change the filter and top it off and its been running fine and the Oil is just now turning a cruddy color, the reason there is a "Myth" about Syn making you leak is you had leaks and Dino Oil just builds up and keeps them clogged and when you start running a high end Syn with tons of detergents its going to open leaks up, Dino Oil is crud every thing about Dino Oil is crud they have to pump it full of so many chemicals to do any thing and with time and city driving it turns to gum but the Oil is just fine thats what my company dose now recycle's Motor Oil and I've read study after study on the stuff, I'll never now Dino Oil in any thing with a Engine again.. I had some left over so I put it in my lawn mower lol 10 W30 runs great. You know how good RP is I don't see how on earth it could hurt.

Old 09-04-2008, 08:49 PM
Jeff Dodson
Elder User
Well than x a ton When I change the oil, I am going to go ahead and put in th Royal Purple