Bronco II Ford Bronco II

Power Windows & Locks

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 02:10 PM
jackofalltrades
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power Windows & Locks

Has anyone here ever converted their hand crank windows to power. Locks too? Is the regulator the same, except with a motor/gear attached?

Does anyone know of kits available? Does anyone know of a factory equiped Power window/locks Bronco II that's being parted out?

-Steve

Old 09-10-2008, 05:39 PM
Tedybear
Elder User
Can't believe I'm going to suggest eBay LOL. However they list (and I do not know how well they work---or do not work) several remote "keyless entry" systems that include lock actuators--albeit a universal type.

I'm not sure about the window conversion to power..something like that? Might have to really do some work, perhaps at a salvage yard to get the wiring harness, and any panels/control modules used. You can check with some of the normal sites (LMC, National Parts, etc...) to see if they offer a universal made to measure setup? I'm not sure at this point. We've got power everything on ours already, and most of it is pretty whipped----(ours needs a lot more TLC then we first were lead to believe)

Might be an idea for the remote entry systems? That is how I'm planning on doing a work-a-round for our busted up door locks. The electric locks work fine, but the key holes where screw-driver damaged badly, and not really usable. The one that works with the existing power locks runs about 55 bucks---heck, I'm willing to guess you can probably find something along those lines on the aftermarket circuit for not to much.

S-

Old 09-10-2008, 08:34 PM
bronco2man
Senior User
I'm in the process of doing it now, took the parts from an 88 with power windows and door locks

Old 09-11-2008, 12:22 AM
jackofalltrades
Posting Guru
I think I'd be best to find a doner vehicle. I'll keep my eyes open. If it was closer to me, there's a whole BII for sale here on THR for $500 that even has the same red interior that has the power options. If it was closer, I'd buy it, switch out all the power stuff, rebuild what needs help, and just sell the rig again. Alas, it's on the wrong coast.

-Steve

Old 09-12-2008, 03:56 PM
rebocardo
Post Fiend
> Has anyone here ever converted their hand crank windows to power. Locks too?

Yes. Basically the only way is to find a donor vehicle. Luckily on Fords of this year, it is all plug and play. Just take it out of the donor, bolt and snap it on. Not a good junkyard thing since you have to drill/grind out the rivets.

If you grab the wiring harnesses, it is all plug and play :-)

On power locks you have to take all the linkage and latch. Does not hurt to snag the actuator too. Those are cheap on E-Bay though.

> Is the regulator the same, except with a motor/gear attached?

No, it is different. The crank (gears) is usually middle of the door, the motor (gears) usually sits at the bottom of the door. SOP for Fords and Chevy.

The channel is usually different for the window glass. On manuals it is long, on power windows it is usually shorter.

> Does anyone know of kits available?

They vary, autoloc has decent looking kits. The JCW kits are ... well JCW. They use to be rather cheesy, just like audiovox. Basically a Chevy strap system cheesed into a Ford. Junk looking switches etc.

> Does anyone know of a factory equiped Power window/locks Bronco II that's being parted out?

One on E-Bay now: