V10 in 78/79 Bronco?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 08:37 PM
captain p4
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
V10 in 78/79 Bronco?

Hey guys,

haven't posted in this forum in a long time, but I may have stumbled on a good deal for an '00 2v v10/auto trans/transfer case and was wondering if anything similar has been done before? The engine in my bronco is on its way out and I've been searching around for something to upgrade to.

I'm going to guess custom motor, trans, tcase mounts will be needed at a minimum.

I have a sterling 10.25 with the VSS in the rear so that will be taken care of for the trans shifting.

The guy thats selling says he has the wiring harness, but no computer. How hard are these to locate? Junkyard deal?

Guy says it came out of a totaled truck that had about 70k miles on it and that it ran and drove before they pulled it. The engine currently isn't in a truck, so is there any way to visually check the engine to see what condition it's in??

so any suggestions, tips, ideas, links, etc shoot 'em at me!

Old 08-26-2008, 10:56 PM
S.A.L.
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Awesome project.

Later model Broncos with the bigger motor option came with an E4OD tranny which is the predecessor to the tranny behind that V10, a 4R100.
You may be lucky enough to use the late model crossmember and t-case mounts.
PCMs are easy to come by.
As far as inspecting the engine before purchasing, you can drop the oil pan and take a look-see. You can pop a cam cover and take a look-see too.

Please keep us posted on your progress.
I am interested in a V10 swap too.
Into what...I don't know yet.

SETH

Old 08-27-2008, 04:07 PM
V10_Cougar
Elder User
Originally Posted by captain p4
Hey guys,

haven't posted in this forum in a long time, but I may have stumbled on a good deal for an '00 2v v10/auto trans/transfer case and was wondering if anything similar has been done before? The engine in my bronco is on its way out and I've been searching around for something to upgrade to.

I'm going to guess custom motor, trans, tcase mounts will be needed at a minimum.

I have a sterling 10.25 with the VSS in the rear so that will be taken care of for the trans shifting.

The guy thats selling says he has the wiring harness, but no computer. How hard are these to locate? Junkyard deal?

Guy says it came out of a totaled truck that had about 70k miles on it and that it ran and drove before they pulled it. The engine currently isn't in a truck, so is there any way to visually check the engine to see what condition it's in??

so any suggestions, tips, ideas, links, etc shoot 'em at me!
I am still trying to figure out how this can be inserted in a early Cougar.

Old 08-28-2008, 09:10 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
Never heard of someone actually going it, but I've heard of people WANTING to

I'd check the length of the engine first - and make sure it fits lengthwise. I'm sure it'll fit height-wise, and width-wise.

You might need to go to an electric fan - The F-series V10 clutch fan is pretty long.

Although, I wonder if the E-series fan is shorter?

Old 08-28-2008, 12:31 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I don't think height or length should be a major concern, that year bronco and F-series have a pretty big engine compartment, or maybe the V10 is bigger than I think. Probably want to go with an electric fan anway to free up a couple extra ponies.

Old 08-28-2008, 12:42 PM
chissler
Senior User
with that solid front axle you can build whatever engine cross member you need, however custom headers will be a likely candidate.
thr 4r100 takes up about the same room (just a little longer) as the c6, so no problem there (custom x-member of course).
the radiator support can be pushed forward, but i dont think it will be necesary.
height and width should be a peice of cake!

You could always buy a big chunk of foam and cut it out to roughly represent the dimmensions of the v-10. I know of companies that sell plastic versions of the SBF and SMC for mock-up purposes, with all the mount holes drilled and tapped. definetly would come in handy

Old 08-28-2008, 02:25 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm not saying it won't fit but the Triton motors are wider than the FE and 385 series motors. Just something to check into!

Old 08-28-2008, 02:29 PM
captain p4
Post Fiend
I'll have to go under the hood of my dad's v10 and start measuring. I don't think it will be much of a problem physically fitting anything (I can sit IN my engine compartment when i'm working on the 400...). I'll probably need a little help on the crossmembers and motor mounts (don't trust my welding that much yet, I'm still new to it), but I have a few friends that are pretty good at fabbing and working with metal.

Which transfer case do the superduty's use? are they as tough as the np205? I think they have a deeper low range 2.7:1 or something than the 205, which is like 1.9:1 IIRC, which will be nice for what I use my bronco for. I've also had some problems with snapping the tiny u joints from the 1/2 ton yokes that are still on my 205, the superduty sized yokes will be a nice upgrade.

I think I'll be able to figure out the wiring. Is there any source for wiring schematics for the v10?

Old 08-28-2008, 03:15 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
With my '74 highboy, which is basically the same cab, fenders, hood and radiator support as the rest of the '73-79 F-series/Bronco line, I had an FE390 in there, and it was slightly tucked into the firewall (there's a recessed area in the firewall), and a 4" spacer on the water pump for the fan so the fan was within 3" of the radiator with a shroud that was about 4" deep.

With the OHC heads on the V10, it won't tuck that far into the firewall (or at all), and with the extra pair of cylinders, I KNOW the stock clutch fan won't fit.

And, my V10's radiator is much larger than the radiator that was in my highboy, which means you either keep the stock radiator and put more cores in it, or fab up something to put that bigger radiator further out into the nose, or put electric fans on it.

It's going to be length-wise that you'll have a problem.

As for electric fans being better than mechanical, don't get me started - TANSTAAFL

Old 08-28-2008, 04:08 PM
captain p4
Post Fiend
Well, I just bought a brand new radiator. Its the "super cooling camper special" 460 big *** one, so I'm sure it will handle the cooling needs for the v10.

I don't know which is better, but I've heard good and bad things about electric fans. Whats TANSTAAFL mean? lol

Old 08-28-2008, 06:08 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch

In other words, look up the concept of "Conservation of Energy"

Old 08-28-2008, 06:30 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I'd try out an electric fan on my truck to see what it does if it wasn't for the GCWR restriction. Never know how much I'll have to tow in the future.

Keep us posted on the swap. 73'-79' are some of my favorites. I'd love to stick a V10 in my 74' F-100 with a 6spd behind it.

Old 09-01-2008, 02:30 PM
mikehm
Senior User
With the engine out of the truck, you could pull the plugs, and look them over, and put a good battery on it and run a compression test, this would give you some idea of its condition, and check the oil, even send a sample out for a report.

Old 09-01-2008, 05:34 PM
captain p4
Post Fiend
I think my buddy's have talked me out of this. It'll be a lot easier to put an EFI 460 in and easier to make more power. As cool as a v10 sounds, I don't think it makes enough power to justify all the work needed to put it in and there's not really much of an aftermarket for it.

Old 09-01-2008, 06:00 PM
Skoda
Elder User
from what you said it seems like your looking for some thing a little more then the average, but mind you the v10's got power 275hp, 410 lbft and this is when it just started in the F series, sure a 460 got respectable power and an awsome after market but why go the easy route yea it's cheap quicker but it's just another 460.

How much power you looking for?
what kind of project are you inreseted in investing in?

Quick Reply: V10 in 78/79 Bronco?