Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Do you need a "defoamer" for your oil?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 12:14 PM
02GrayPowerStroke
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you need a "defoamer" for your oil?

I was told if I am using regular motor oil, I need to use an aditive or a defoamer or somthing. He siad the HPOP can cause the oil to foam.

Does this sound right?

If so what do I need to get?

Old 08-26-2008, 12:21 PM
just another truck
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
What do you mean "regular" motor oil. If you are using the regular Diesel oil, any "defoamer" would already be added. Make sure you are using a Diesel oil.

Old 08-26-2008, 12:26 PM
just another truck
Hotshot
Lubricants- engine and its oil

The main purpose of lubricants is to lubricate moving parts of the vehicle to reduce friction and wear and tear by providing smoothing, trouble free performance for increased length of time.

A lubricant is a blend of base oils and performance enhancing additives as required by engine, gear box and other application areas. At the refinery, the crude oil is refined into gasoline, diesel, kerosene, LPG, naphtha and base stocks (Lube). This base stock is further processed, blended and strengthened with required properties to make different kind of lubricants.

Of the all the lubricants engine oil is the most import. Lubricants for gasoline and diesel engine are different as the load, cycles and fuels are different. The oil in an engine does more than just reduce friction between its moving parts. It also helps to seal the high-pressure combustion gases inside the cylinders, to impede the corrosion of metal parts, to absorb some of the harmful by-products of combustion, and to transfer heat from one part of the engine to another.

Combustion of rich air-fuel mixture during starting, idling and warm up form deposits. These deposits in the form of varnish, sludge, soot and carbon, interfere with proper engine operation.

The engine oil keeps all the deposit forming material in suspension and gets rid of them by oil filter, or draining out at proper intervals.

Engine oil is stored in the oil pan or sump at the bottom of the engine. A pump forces the oil through a filter and then through a series of passages and galleries to lubricate the engine’s moving parts. The flow of also cools these parts. Rapidly moving engine parts actually float on a thin film of oil and never make contact with one another. This is called hydrodynamic lubrication and usually begins when an engine reaches the idle speed. Most engine wear occurs when a cold engine is first started, before the oil reaches its normal operating pressure and flow.

Diesel Engine Lubricating Oil

The main function of lubricant for diesel engine is the same as mentioned for gasoline engine. As the load in diesel engine is much higher it should have adequate antiwear properties. Diesel fuel contains a high level of Sulphur which burns to form oxides of sulphur , which in turn in the presence of water, form sulphur acids resting in high corrosion of engine parts. Hence the need of alkalinity reserve in the oil which is represented by its TBN or Total Base Number. Generally, the higher TBN value more the alkalinity reserve or acid neutralizing capacity the oil contains.

Synthetic Oil

T The advent of synthetic oil more than fifty years back opened up vastly improved and new alternative lubricant to mineral oil. But being very expensive, it is confirmed to the arcane world of motor sports and used for high performance cars. They are also widely used in developing countries for a number of reasons like improved overall engine performance, low oil consumption, long drain periods, less engine wear, improved engine cleanliness and faster starting. Taking into consideration the price tag and its efficacy, the option is left for consumer’s discretion.

Additives- what they do

Plain mineral oils cannot provide all the necessary functional properties that an engine requires. These plain mineral oils need fortification with chemicals/additives which when used in small quantities, import or enhance the desirable functional properties. Some of the types and reasons for their use are as follows:

Dispersants: Keeps sludge, carbon and other deposit- precursors suspended in oil.

Detergents: Keeps the engine parts clean from deposits.

Rust/Corrosion Inhibitors: Prevents or controls oxidation of oil, formation of varnish, sludge and corrosive compounds, limit viscosity increase.

Extreme Pressure (EP), Anti wear and friction modifiers: These form protective film on the engine parts and reduce wear and tear.

Metal deactivators: Forms surface films so that metal surface does not catalyze oil oxidation.

Pour Point Depressant: Lowers freezing point of oils assuring free flow at lower temperatures.

Anti-foamants: Reduces foam in crankcase and blending.

Old 08-26-2008, 12:27 PM
02GrayPowerStroke
Posting Guru
I do not use diesel oil. Just use regular gasser oil.

Old 08-26-2008, 12:35 PM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Then you need to use Diesel oil. Either a 15w/40 dino oil or a 5w/40 synthetic oil. What are you using?

Old 08-26-2008, 12:44 PM
just another truck
Hotshot
Originally Posted by 02GrayPowerStroke
You should read the artical I posted, it goes into pretty good detail as to why the oils are different.

Old 08-26-2008, 01:38 PM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts
I was told if I am using regular motor oil, I need to use an aditive or a defoamer or somthing. He siad the HPOP can cause the oil to foam.

Does this sound right?

If so what do I need to get?
Yes the oil can foam. You should never use regular motor oil. Companies like Chevron (Delo), Shell (Rotella T) and Mobil (Delvac) make oil specifically for the needs of diesel engines (including anti-foaming agents).

I would recommend that you immediately change your oil (and again in a short period of time to flush out the "gasser" oil) to prevent any further damage that may have been caused.

Just my .02

Old 08-26-2008, 02:26 PM
Ponyboychris
Hit it!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by brian42
Yes the oil can foam. You should never use regular motor oil. Companies like Chevron (Delo), Shell (Rotella T) and Mobil (Delvac) make oil specifically for the needs of diesel engines (including anti-foaming agents).

I would recommend that you immediately change your oil (and again in a short period of time to flush out the "gasser" oil) to prevent any further damage that may have been caused.

Just my .02
What he said^^^ Get that stuff outta there!

Old 08-26-2008, 02:26 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I would definitly start using the oil recommended for your engine even if it,s the cheapest diesel oil you can find(not that there,s anything wrong with cheaper oil), you paid alot for that truck to just run just gasser oil in it.

Old 08-26-2008, 03:38 PM
bdrummonds
Post Fiend
Oh No He Didn't.....

Change oil now, Delo, Rotella, Delvac.

Old 08-26-2008, 06:20 PM
Red Monkey
Senior User
I think the guy is 'pulling our chain'. He has almost 400 post!!
How could you NOT use diesel oil in a diesel truck if you have been around the forum long enough to have almost 400 post??? Well, I guess he could be an Obama suporter and that would explain it...

Old 08-26-2008, 06:24 PM
jhand124
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You say WHATTTTTT

Old 08-26-2008, 06:37 PM
zx250
Of the next Riffraff East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dude, do the next owner of your truck a favor and get that stuff out now. Use a GOOD oil in there and one that is made for diesel engines. You can't expect the regular duty oil to stand up the the HPOP and being forced through the injectors at that pressure for long.

Old 08-27-2008, 08:53 AM
02GrayPowerStroke
Posting Guru
Thanks for the info, I do not know why I never thought of it before. I think I may have asked some one in the past. Heck I dono.

Thanks again!

Old 08-27-2008, 11:57 AM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't forget about the extra dirt & soot a diesel engine puts into the oil. Diesel rated oils have extra detergents in them to combat this the soot as well. That soot can be pretty abrasive. That oil definately needs to be changed.

Quick Reply: Do you need a "defoamer" for your oil?