2003 5.4L F250 & pinging

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 03:47 PM
loudford
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 5.4L F250 & pinging

<TABLE width="100%" border=0 itxtvisited="1"><TBODY itxtvisited="1"><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD vAlign=top itxtvisited="1">Hi All,

I posted this in the superduty forum but thought I would try here as well.

Went for a trip this weekend and truck started off pinging really bad right from the get go. Hop on the highway and get on the accelerator and it's pinging, so about an hour on the highway it's cleared up a little. It's not pinging while I'm trying to maintain cruising speed (around 2k rpm doing 70) but still pinging when getting on hills and even when I try to hit the O/D switch to get it to kickdown and Higher RPM's (3K rpms on a hill doing 60) still pinging. Now truck has only 58K, haven't changed the plugs as of yet but maybe soon after this episode. Scheduled maintianance like Oil/trans/coolant/filter's have been done regularly. My driving habits are only about 8m daily in stop/go traffic so that might be cause for carbon build up as I haven't taken any long trips within the last couple of years or so. As for gas I have a company card for mobil so that's all I ever purchase 87 octane btw. Also I wasn't towing anything and don't usually tow more than a handful of times a year (3K boat/snowmobile trailers).

So before I take it to the dealership and have them charge me for diagnostic testing I thought I'd check in and see if anyone had some idea's. I was thinking of trying 89 octane but I know that the truck should run on 87...

Thanks for any replies/thoughts.

Lou

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Old 09-06-2008, 08:15 AM
crewcab77
Mountain Pass
what kind of air filter do you have?

Old 09-06-2008, 11:00 PM
LxMan1

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Try cleaning the MAF.

Old 09-07-2008, 06:39 AM
crewcab77
Mountain Pass
Thats what i did with mine it put a k&n air filter in it after i got it. It started pinging real bad couldn't figure out why it was doing it. Someone told me to get rid of the filter put a regular filter in it clean the maf. Did that hasn't pinged since and thats over 6 months ago.

Old 09-07-2008, 12:08 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
I posted in the SD forum too, but are you sure it's not an exhaust leak from a broken stud?

I thought you mentioned in the SD forum that it only did it when cold?

Old 09-07-2008, 12:08 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Whoops, wrong guy!

But still, maybe it's exhaust? (or worse, a loose spark plug?)

Old 09-08-2008, 08:02 AM
loudford
Senior User
Thanks for the replies,

The Air filter is a generic NAPA brand, I haven't had a chance to run it on the highway since the last time. I tried some seafoam through a tank of 87 octane and no change now I filled up with super but haven't been able to test it on the highway. I'm trying to figure out if it's air related by eliminating the ping with higher octane if that happens I'll replace the air filter (less than a yr old) and clean the MAF. Those are probably my next step's either way...

I'll post again as soon as I can get it on the highway...

Thanks again

Lou

Old 09-09-2008, 08:27 AM
loudford
Senior User
Well filled up with super the other day and had a chance to take it out on the highway yesterday and no pinging!!! So going to check the maf & air filter (probably replace fltr) and next fill up back to regular to see how it runs.

I'll post again after the next fillup.

Thanks,

Lou

Old 09-09-2008, 09:01 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Do the fuel filter too.

I'm not sure if your model has a knock sensor. Might want to check into that.

Old 09-16-2008, 10:33 AM
loudford
Senior User
Update,

No pinging since using the super gas but still have a 1/2 tank so going to switch back to regular on next fill up. Changed fuel, air & pcv valve and cleaned MAF (w/MAF cleaner). So hopefully no pinging with the regular but I'll have to wait for the next fill up. I'll post again after the next fill. I have a question though, how do check the Knock Sensor w/out pulling the intake off?

Thanks again,

Lou

Old 09-16-2008, 01:17 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
I've heard people are able to get the knock sensor out without pulling the intake off.

I don't know about checking it, I think just replacing it might be a good idea. A quick look at rockauto.com (a sponsor) and they are around $55.

Old 09-16-2008, 07:05 PM
Heavy_Metal
Elder User
If you have access to a scanner that give you access to the knock sensor portion, you can take a broom handle and tap on the sensor. Sometimes you have to do it pretty hard but it will show you the "bang" on the scanner if the knock sensor is working. It's kinda crude but I learned it from a ford tech.

Old 09-16-2008, 09:50 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Originally Posted by Heavy_Metal
If you have access to a scanner that give you access to the knock sensor portion, you can take a broom handle and tap on the sensor. Sometimes you have to do it pretty hard but it will show you the "bang" on the scanner if the knock sensor is working. It's kinda crude but I learned it from a ford tech.
Tried to rep you again, but can't so soon

Old 09-17-2008, 01:32 AM
LxMan1

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I took care of it

Old 09-17-2008, 08:32 AM
loudford
Senior User
Originally Posted by Heavy_Metal

Thanks I'll try it if it's still pinging.

Lou

Quick Reply: 2003 5.4L F250 & pinging