2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

Is new climate control for 2007 the reason for A/C problems?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 04:44 PM
07EXPYEL
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is new climate control for 2007 the reason for A/C problems?

I found some info at the Ford media website that may explain why we're having so many problems with the A/C and climate controls.

Quote from Ford: "A new climate control system utilizes a new scroll compressor and larger air ducts and vents for improved airflow. This increased capability will warm the cabin and defrost windows in two-thirds the time of the previous model’s system. "
http://media.ford.com/products/presskit_display.cfm?vehicle_id=1377&press_subsect ion_id=421&make_id=92

I hadn't realized that the compressor is a "new scroll compressor", but then again I'm not sure what was used before '07. But this could possibly explain why older Expedition owners aren't complaining about poor A/C performance at idle or low speeds. New isn't always better!

Old 09-28-2007, 04:45 PM
berry1234
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not sure but it is possible. My A/C aint that great at idle either. My two other Expys cooled much better at idle, but not as good while driving.

Old 09-28-2007, 10:33 PM
jdsmooth
Freshman User
My Expy has been back to the dealer three times for poor a/c performance. They have basically replaced almost everything and, while it is much more effective then it was, it still has lackluster performance at idle and anytime the exterior temp is over about 95.

The results from its last visit were multple calls to Ford, a drive in a new truck, and a report of "operating within normal limits." I really like my service manager, so I asked him what was up. He said the 2007 system has less total refrigerant volume and smaller refridgerent lines. He believes that that is the problem.

More airflow and less refridgerent. I don't design these things, but that seems like a bad combination.

Old 09-29-2007, 09:21 AM
poppie
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jdsmooth
My Expy has been back to the dealer three times for poor a/c performance. They have basically replaced almost everything and, while it is much more effective then it was, it still has lackluster performance at idle and anytime the exterior temp is over about 95.

The results from its last visit were multple calls to Ford, a drive in a new truck, and a report of "operating within normal limits." I really like my service manager, so I asked him what was up. He said the 2007 system has less total refrigerant volume and smaller refridgerent lines. He believes that that is the problem.

More airflow and less refridgerent. I don't design these things, but that seems like a bad combination.
............ would someone find production number's on 07 expy's and then see how many folk's are having AC issue's to get a %age of folk's with the issue ,our's will freeze us out!!!!!,I dont believe every one comming down the line has this issue and has to be a vary small #,suck's if your one of them and they just can't find the problem,try driving a new one off the lot and see if it work's!!!!!.

Old 09-29-2007, 10:43 AM
Ogio
Junior User
Originally Posted by jdsmooth

What is the temperature of the air coming out? What is considered normal?

Old 09-30-2007, 08:21 AM
hookd
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We couldn't be happier with our A/C performance especially for having an EL, thats allot of cabin room to cool off and ours was great in our two weeks of over 100 in July. Our only issue has been a chemical smell coming out of the vents when the A/C is off. I still haven't made it to the dealer to get that checked out.

Old 09-30-2007, 08:36 AM
jdsmooth
Freshman User
I don't know the exact temperature (I could just stick a thermometer in there to find out), but my problem is more consistency of temperature than anything else. The system is perfectly capable of producing low temperature air, it just seems not to like to for long stretches of time. I get a lot of fluctuations. They are most noticable in hot weather.

Old 10-02-2007, 07:02 PM
montecarlo31
Elder User
Just picked up a 08 EL XLT and I must say at idle the temps aren't cold. I think there are reasons for this. This expedition has a huge radiator, trans and oil cooler. I believe that the engine is staying so cool at idle the clutch fan does not need to run like it used to. Once moving even 5 mph the a/c is cool. I'll have to figure out the a/c temps one day. To give a example my 06 silverado 1500 will chill the air on max a/c with a ambient outside temp of 98 to 101 degrees to 32 to 34 degrees. I wonder if we ran a 12v pusher fan in front of the a/c condenser would the output temp drop? Is the clutch driven fan controled via electronics or fluid? if it's electric you could program the ecm to command full lock up at idle and improve the a/c output.

Old 10-02-2007, 09:07 PM
jdsmooth
Freshman User
I think that you are on to something. I know the a/c clutch is electronic, but I don't know about the radiator fan. Please let us know if you figure something out. I know that the older BMWs used to use a 12 v. "auxillary fan" to help out the a/c system. The simple fact is that when the a/c wants to it is capable of spitting our some damn cold air. Mine has odd flucutations even at speed though - not anywhere near as warm as at idle, but definite fluctuations.

Old 10-03-2007, 10:52 AM
berry1234
Postmaster
I agree. At idle the a/c doesn't do much. Start moving and it cools down quick.

Old 10-03-2007, 11:07 AM
montecarlo31
Elder User
JD you may have low pressure or freezing of your system going on, the compressor would cycle off till it thaws, then crank up again as pressure return to normal. I'd make sure for evacuates the system, dries it, then puts the proper level of refridge back in, if you have too much or too little it can cause the same problem you are describing.

Old 10-03-2007, 08:00 PM
jdsmooth
Freshman User
They have done exactly what you are describing at least five times. They have also replaced both expansion valves, the accumulator, the compressor, and the blower control module (not the climate control computer).

I originally thought it was exactly what you describe, however that has been checked out too many times. It doesn't get that "hot humid, my compressor just turned off" feeling, just not anywhere near as cold as it is other times. very hard to describe, but it causes the system to be far less effective on hot days than it could or should be.

My thought was the high pressure switch, but they claim to have tested it and that it is OK.

It is so much better than it was that I figured I would accept it for now and start reinvestigating next summer. It does just fine as long as the temperature is under about 94-95.

Old 10-08-2007, 05:04 PM
berry1234
Postmaster
Check out this thread involving the AC on the 07 F-150s. Interesting.

http://www.f150online.com/forums/sho...19#post2848419

Once they added 1lb of freon it worked much better.

Old 08-13-2008, 01:22 PM
07EXPYEL
Senior User
I just had my '07 in the shop for the door latch recall and I had them look at the A/C again. Last year, it was much hotter with many 110°F+ days in Phoenix and the A/C would stop blowing cold quite often at idle, this year hasn't been quite as bad and its only happened a couple of times. I explained the problem to the dealer and gave them the TSB #, but they were unable to duplicate, so nothing was fixed. Basically I was told, yes there's a Ford bulliten but it doesn't say what to fix, only that there's complaints. Can someone with access to the TSB's let me know what this says (the dealer wouldn't share)?
Reference
"07-26-3
A/c Compressor - Cuts Out High Ambient Temperatures/seized - Poor A/c Performance - Built Before 11/1/2007"

Old 08-14-2008, 05:35 PM
kenttrudiw
Senior User
What worked for us last summer, our first year with an EB auto control....

My wife kept turning down the temp to 50 degrees or the lowest setting when she first got it, so it would cool down faster....

All this does is put the system to full recirulate, of all the hot cabin air, than the compressor would freeze up and even shut down until it thawed out....

Went to the dealer a couple of times, and finaly got this answer, leave the temp at 68 or 70 all the time! She now does this and it greatly improved the first part of the trip with faster cooling down temps, it does seem to work....

Quick Reply: Is new climate control for 2007 the reason for A/C problems?