Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

Could we be seeing the Scorpion sooner than expected?

Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old 08-18-2008, 08:59 PM
PowerStrokeHD
Postmaster
PowerStrokeHD is a splendid one to beholdPowerStrokeHD is a splendid one to beholdPowerStrokeHD is a splendid one to beholdPowerStrokeHD is a splendid one to beholdPowerStrokeHD is a splendid one to beholdPowerStrokeHD is a splendid one to beholdPowerStrokeHD is a splendid one to behold

This contradicts allot of the other information floating around, but I was reading a recent issue of Automotive World (usually provides reputable information) that Job 1 of the Scorpion diesel is now just 12 months away. They reported that Job 1 is now slated for August of '09 at CEP (Chihuahua Engine Plant)...

Old 08-18-2008, 10:28 PM
A. Michael Foxtrot
Elder User
A. Michael Foxtrot is starting off with a positive reputation.
I see a lot of Scorpion and 2010 in the same sentence. Though, I've never seen it mentioned wether it was referring to Model Year or Calendar Year.

So to see this engine appear in '09 as a '10 MY wouldn't be entirely surprising.

Old 08-20-2008, 10:38 AM
PowerStrokeHD
Postmaster
PowerStrokeHD is a splendid one to beholdPowerStrokeHD is a splendid one to beholdPowerStrokeHD is a splendid one to beholdPowerStrokeHD is a splendid one to beholdPowerStrokeHD is a splendid one to beholdPowerStrokeHD is a splendid one to beholdPowerStrokeHD is a splendid one to behold
I too have been seeing a lot of Scorpion and 2010 in the same sentance, but I also have been seeing more and more talk of 2011 and 2012.

August of '09 would put the 6.7L more inline with the tentative dates I am hearing for the 4.4L.

Old 08-20-2008, 12:45 PM
JIM_C
Elder User
JIM_C is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.JIM_C is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Why would Ford do that if there are no significant problems with the 6.4? And doesn't their contract with Navistar run through 2011? They'd have to pay Navistar off or get tangled up in another lawsuit.

Old 08-20-2008, 01:45 PM
PowerStrokeHD
Postmaster
I believe the contract runs thru 2012, but at any rate there is a lot of bad blood between the two companies and it is obvious that Ford wants out at pretty much any cost. Ford must be seeing some potential benefit somewhere out of a early separation. It may not be as obvious, but I am sure Navistar would not mind getting out either.

One benefit for the SD trucks and its potential buyers will be the eventual offering of 2 diesel engines rather than 1...

Old 09-03-2008, 10:00 AM
Bowie
Elder User
Bowie is starting off with a positive reputation.
The real question here is will the 6.4 be compliant with the 2010 diesel regs? I read an article where International was saying Ford has not asked them to make the 6.4L 2010 compliant. Makes me think that the 6.7 Liter engine will be out for the 2010 year truck but the 2011 model. The same thing they did with the 08's. Diesel regs changed for 2007, but we did not see a new model and engine till 2008.

Old 09-03-2008, 12:21 PM
Nipperdog
Elder User
Nipperdog is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I'm really happy with my 6.4 and could care less what Ford brings out in the near future. The 6.4 was designed on the legacy of similar International diesel engines some of which were plagued with problems that have been corrected in the 6.4
Who knows what problems will befall the new Ford Scorpion engine. The use of Aluminum heads is something that could pose a problem down the road, especially in the event of an overheat condition.

Old 09-03-2008, 01:23 PM
SpartanDieselTech
Former Vendor
SpartanDieselTech is a name known to allSpartanDieselTech is a name known to allSpartanDieselTech is a name known to allSpartanDieselTech is a name known to allSpartanDieselTech is a name known to allSpartanDieselTech is a name known to all
The 4.4L should be expected for release late year 2009 (2010MY). It is beginning the process of emissions certification as of just a few days ago; so release is approx. a year away on it.

The 6.7 isn't quite ready for certification; it will likely be a few more months before the process is started. Take my guess for what its worth; but I would speculate January 1st 2010.

Old 09-19-2008, 02:44 AM
bocomojoe
Senior User
bocomojoe is starting off with a positive reputation.
I can't till you where I've seen this info, but I think the new engines will use urea injection systems to meet the new emissions. By doing this I have read that possibly the egr valve will be eleminated and may not have to use a regin system either. By doing this (the urea injection) there is supposed to be a noticable mpg increase.

Also a completely new 6 speed tranny (it would be nice if they were "paddle" shifters) is supposed to be released soon.

Old 09-19-2008, 03:47 PM
PowerStrokeHD
Postmaster
Originally Posted by bocomojoe View Post
I can't till you where I've seen this info, but I think the new engines will use urea injection systems to meet the new emissions. By doing this I have read that possibly the egr valve will be eleminated and may not have to use a regin system either. By doing this (the urea injection) there is supposed to be a noticable mpg increase.

Also a completely new 6 speed tranny (it would be nice if they were "paddle" shifters) is supposed to be released soon.
The new Ford diesels will be using DEF (urea) as part of the emissions system, but this will not eliminate the EGR. EGR will still need to be there to comply with emissions, but less exhaust gases will have to be recirculated. This should help greatly reduce EGR problems. The engines will still be equipped with a DPF, so regenerations will still be necessary. Although it is likely that only passive regenerations will be needed. I hope...

The new 6 speed auto will be the 6R140 and should be a great trans...

Old 09-19-2008, 04:50 PM
rob_nc
Posting Guru
rob_nc is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by PowerStrokeHD View Post
The new Ford diesels will be using DEF (urea) as part of the emissions system, but this will not eliminate the EGR. EGR will still need to be there to comply with emissions, but less exhaust gases will have to be recirculated. This should help greatly reduce EGR problems. The engines will still be equipped with a DPF, so regenerations will still be necessary. Although it is likely that only passive regenerations will be needed. I hope...

The new 6 speed auto will be the 6R140 and should be a great trans...

You are absolutely right. Less EGR means less soot and better fuel economy. Certain duty cycles will likely see active regens where others may never see one. Our OTR tractors will never see an active regen.

Old 09-30-2008, 03:44 PM
6.4SilverBullet
New User
6.4SilverBullet is starting off with a positive reputation.
It wouldnt suprize me... If they Kept changen every-year till they got back to 7.3Liter. BTW... I think after the contract runs out they will invest in Cummings for there D's JMO

Old 10-09-2008, 08:49 PM
powerstroke1350
Senior User
powerstroke1350 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by 6.4SilverBullet View Post
It wouldnt suprize me... If they Kept changen every-year till they got back to 7.3Liter. BTW... I think after the contract runs out they will invest in Cummings for there D's JMO
cummins...no g, and no that will not happen.

Old 02-27-2009, 01:17 AM
CGiron
Senior User
CGiron is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
The closure of the Indianapolis engineplant in July 2009 must speed up the introduction of the Scorpion as Ford must have a replacement for the late 6.4-litre.

"In the important North American market, the series production of five new high volume SinterCast-CGI V-diesel
engines remains on schedule for start of production during early-2009."

http://hugin.info/1205/R/1231195/261672.pdf

Old 02-27-2009, 01:26 AM
CGiron
Senior User
CGiron is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Could we be seeing the Scorpion sooner than expected?

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: