Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

Could we be seeing the Scorpion sooner than expected?

Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Could we be seeing the Scorpion sooner than expected?

Old 03-01-2009, 06:43 PM
02puffer
Freshman User
02puffer is starting off with a positive reputation.
Urea will be the big thing to do me thinks. Easier and cheaper than EGR (from a warranty repair cost anyway) and the only argument against it is a moot point: "Oh no I don't want to have to remember refill some tank!!" like BMW, the dealer will refill with every service done.

Old 03-01-2009, 08:15 PM
origcharger
Posting Guru
origcharger has a good reputation on FTE.origcharger has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by 02puffer View Post
Urea will be the big thing to do me thinks. Easier and cheaper than EGR (from a warranty repair cost anyway) and the only argument against it is a moot point: "Oh no I don't want to have to remember refill some tank!!" like BMW, the dealer will refill with every service done.

You are still going to have EGR and it would have to be a pretty good sized urea tank to last a Ford Super Duty from one service to the next.

Old 03-02-2009, 07:19 AM
02puffer
Freshman User
02puffer is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by origcharger View Post
You are still going to have EGR and it would have to be a pretty good sized urea tank to last a Ford Super Duty from one service to the next.
Very true, theres alot of space inder the cab/bed to shoehorn a tank in but it will be in Fords hands as to where it goes and getting it plumed. If they do use that system, getting an owner back for service is as easy as an idiot light on the dash.

Old 03-02-2009, 07:35 AM
origcharger
Posting Guru
origcharger has a good reputation on FTE.origcharger has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by 02puffer View Post
Very true, theres alot of space inder the cab/bed to shoehorn a tank in but it will be in Fords hands as to where it goes and getting it plumed. If they do use that system, getting an owner back for service is as easy as an idiot light on the dash.
Well, I would bet there is a larger percentage of BMW owners who willingly take their cars back to the dealer for servicing than there would be Ford Super Duty owners.
I also can't imagine many Super Duty operators who would gladly interupt a job/vacation to schedule a dealer service because their low urea idiot light came on. And a cars fuel/urea consumption rate is likely more predictable as fully loaded/trailer towing is not in the equation.

Old 03-08-2009, 12:41 AM
mnmwhit
Elder User
mnmwhit is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Wonder if urea freezes?

Old 03-08-2009, 12:53 AM
PowerStrokeHD
Postmaster
PowerStrokeHD is a splendid one to beholdPowerStrokeHD is a splendid one to beholdPowerStrokeHD is a splendid one to beholdPowerStrokeHD is a splendid one to beholdPowerStrokeHD is a splendid one to beholdPowerStrokeHD is a splendid one to beholdPowerStrokeHD is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by mnmwhit View Post
Wonder if urea freezes?
It is not supposed to freeze, but it does get slushy...

Old 03-08-2009, 01:56 AM
rollerstud98
Postmaster
rollerstud98 has much to be proud ofrollerstud98 has much to be proud ofrollerstud98 has much to be proud ofrollerstud98 has much to be proud ofrollerstud98 has much to be proud ofrollerstud98 has much to be proud ofrollerstud98 has much to be proud ofrollerstud98 has much to be proud ofrollerstud98 has much to be proud ofrollerstud98 has much to be proud of
They should just run some coolant lines through the tank, keep it warm

Old 03-08-2009, 11:05 PM
pstrang
Senior User
pstrang is starting off with a positive reputation.
I was under the impression that UREA reduces NOx emissions which is the same function as the EGR. I hope there isn't both in the new engine. UREA should replace the EGR.

But as for the DPF, I believe we're stuck with them.

Old 03-08-2009, 11:15 PM
PowerStrokeHD
Postmaster
PowerStrokeHD is a splendid one to beholdPowerStrokeHD is a splendid one to beholdPowerStrokeHD is a splendid one to beholdPowerStrokeHD is a splendid one to beholdPowerStrokeHD is a splendid one to beholdPowerStrokeHD is a splendid one to beholdPowerStrokeHD is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by rollerstud98 View Post
They should just run some coolant lines through the tank, keep it warm
They are going to run some form of onboard heating for the urea tanks, but im not sure exactly what form. I know the EPA is allowing a period of non-compliance to allow the urea to thaw out...

Originally Posted by pstrang View Post
I was under the impression that UREA reduces NOx emissions which is the same function as the EGR. I hope there isn't both in the new engine. UREA should replace the EGR.

But as for the DPF, I believe we're stuck with them.
It will be a combination of both EGR and SCR (urea) that will be used to meet emissions...

Old 03-09-2009, 04:45 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
powerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputation
Well, not to stir the SCR pot, but here's a story that provides a little more in depth look at the Urea strategy. Granted it's not a Ford, but the technology isn't necessarily going to be specific to one manufacturer either.

Chrysler Diesel Exhaust Fluid System Previews NOx Reduction Solutions for 2010 - PickupTrucks.com News

Old 03-09-2009, 05:29 PM
pstrang
Senior User
pstrang is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by PowerStrokeHD View Post
It will be a combination of both EGR and SCR (urea) that will be used to meet emissions...
Both! Lose the EGR and go with SCR (urea). We don't want both.

Old 03-09-2009, 07:40 PM
origcharger
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by pstrang View Post
Both! Lose the EGR and go with SCR (urea). We don't want both.

We don't have a choice.

Old 06-15-2009, 09:40 PM
Silentst2000
Senior User
Silentst2000 is starting off with a positive reputation.
nevermind delete this