2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kenwwood, Pioneer or JVC Nav Radio??????

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 09:17 AM
bnoll
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kenwwood, Pioneer or JVC Nav Radio??????

I'm pulling out my stock stereo (2008 SCREW) with 6 disc and Sirius. I've been reading the pros and cons of what stereo to replace it with. I need stereo, Sirius, IPod, Bluetooth, Navigation and DVD. My back up camera is in factory installed in my mirror. I do not need the sub at this time.

Any live feedback? I hope to find a system that doesn't require discs for the nav.

THANKS!!!!

Old 08-17-2008, 10:23 AM
Capbyrd
Senior User
The new Kenwoods are great units and feature discless garmin navigation. This is what I will be going with.

Pioneer is also a great unit. Personally, i would stick to Kenwood or Pioneer. What kind of price range are you looking for?

Old 08-17-2008, 10:48 AM
bridge
Sick 'n Tired
Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts
Can't go wrong with the Pioneer units. If you can get your hands on any of the Z units they can all be upgraded to the latest version over at avic411.com. I've got a Z1 that I've upgraded to a Z3. Disc-less navigation for the whole country and 40GB of internal music memory via the hard drive.

Old 08-17-2008, 11:04 AM
rebelyell618
Elder User
when it comes to double din radios im a kenwood fan. with that said though pioneer is a great choice as well, never seen a jvc installed so i cant comment on those.

Old 08-17-2008, 02:33 PM
O1COBRA
Senior User
I put a pioneer in mine but it does require the nav disk. It hasnt been to big of a deal for me. The XM nav traffic is really cool too. I dont have the bluetooth hooked up but everything else is and it works really well.

Old 08-17-2008, 03:01 PM
pohlmeyr
Cross-Country
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Also look at the new Jensen vm9022hdn it will be out in september. They have come along way from the old days. Personally i like the kenwoods but you can't beat the price on the Jensen

Old 08-17-2008, 03:46 PM
Buck 1
Posting Guru

I vote for Kenwood; great quality, great appearance, at a fair price.

Old 08-17-2008, 04:07 PM
Fosters
Fleet Mechanic
I too was a kenwood fan until I bought my current deck. I got the DDX512. First off, I cannot believe Kenwood decided to cheap out on the rear RCA jacks. They have 3 sets: A/V out, FRONT and REAR/SUB. That last one is causing major problems in hooking up amps to it... you can have the sound go to rear channel amp, or a sub; but there's no way to do both... Kenwood's response is basically that I can run the rear channels off the deck and subwoofer off the rca's. yep, I'll throw away my 6 channel JL audio amp so I can run those components off of 22w/ch the deck puts out. The other problem is, not only did they not supply jacks, if you chose in the setup to specify you have full range speakers hooked up to it, you lose the subwoofer control. if you choose subwoofer, you only get low frequencies coming out of the rears. So there goes the whole "put a y-split" idea...

Their other suggestion was to run all the channels off of the front RCA preamps. And lose Fade control in the process. Any 79 dollar jensen clearance special at Target has Fade control... I sure as heck expect a 500 dollar kenwood deck to have it...

I'm stuck with having to run the rears off of a line converter put on the deck's speaker outputs...

After 4 kenwood decks, this was definitely my last one... I simply don't see just how much they could have saved by putting one less set of preamp outs... I'm gonna guess under $1 per unit, since the unit is already capable of selecting what goes out those shared sets of preouts - not like it would be adding a whole new set of channels that didn't exist before...

Old 08-17-2008, 06:02 PM
Firemut30
Senior User
I have a JVC. It is a touch screen DVD player and you can control a multi-cd player with it, and also it will control a nav unit. I bought the plain head unit so I could buy each other piece when I got the money. You can also put a memory card in it for your personal pictures as screen savers and it has a usb port,with wire, that is attached. It has a ton of stuff on it which I haven't even touched yet, but its there for when I want it. It's hard not having the 6 discs in the dash, recommend getting the multi-cd player if you are used to having an assortment of music at fingers end!

Old 08-17-2008, 06:26 PM
Capbyrd
Senior User
ok, thats one thing that i have never understood. Why do people still like 6 disc changers when you have the ability to burn mp3 discs that have MORE than 6 discs worth of capacity?

Old 08-17-2008, 06:55 PM
bridge
Sick 'n Tired
Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Capbyrd
ok, thats one thing that i have never understood. Why do people still like 6 disc changers when you have the ability to burn mp3 discs that have MORE than 6 discs worth of capacity?
Some folks are old school and just prefer the disc players...some folks just don't know how burn a disc

Also, the units on the market don't always handle mp3 discs all that well and make it really hard to navigate through all music. Some will only read the files in the root directory so you can't organise by artist --> album.

Old 08-17-2008, 07:06 PM
Firemut30
Senior User
Some people don't live at a desk loading music onto discs. I know how much time I would take trying to organize everything, instead I just hit "skip" on my cd player.

Old 08-17-2008, 07:10 PM
Capbyrd
Senior User
I'm picky about my cd's. I immediately, after getting home with a new disc, will rip and wont touch that disc again unless my files get corrupted. I take as many chances of the disc being lost, stolen or damaged away as soon as i get it.

But i understand what you guys are saying also.

Old 08-17-2008, 08:03 PM
bob1987f
Senior User
hey look at this

eBay Motors: Legacy LD47MU 4.7" Touchscreen LCD DVD MP3 CD Player (item 180277016240 end time Aug-20-08 10:38:45 PDT)

i know its the J.C Whitney brand, but look at the price and the options its got!! he had one on here earlier that ended that had a 3.6 inch screen, and it was 155.00 shipped! 1 yr warranty too
has anyone used Legacy before? im thinking about it, that way i can get the adapter for the single din that has the cool storage compartment in it too.

Old 08-17-2008, 08:17 PM
Fosters
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Capbyrd

what I don't understand is why people burn MP3 CDs anymore... USB = the way to go

my last 2 stereos had usb, won't have it any other way from now on... burning CDs sucks

Quick Reply: Kenwwood, Pioneer or JVC Nav Radio??????