charcoal filter, great results

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 11:15 PM
CheaperJeeper
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OOPS! Sorry, i never realized Phydeax lived near the gulf coast...

Glad to hear all is well with your son, mejonz...

Old 10-03-2008, 01:16 PM
CheaperJeeper
Posting Guru
Anybody heard anything from Phydeau?

Old 10-03-2008, 06:26 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Nope. Not a word since Sept 9th. I know he escaped north before the storm, but nothing since then. Sure hope he wasn't one of those who lost their home.............I PM'd him but no answer yet.

Old 03-01-2009, 11:42 PM
CheaperJeeper
Posting Guru
This is a resurrection of an old thread from before Phydeaux88 had to flee hurricane IKE. Phy, if you're reading this, maybe we can pick up the discussion where we left off...

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0 itxtvisited="1"><TBODY itxtvisited="1"><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset" itxtvisited="1">Originally Posted by Phydeaux88
Because Ca(ClO)2 is an ionic salt it won't dissolve well in diesel, you should have a polar solvent. Since water is not desirable try some MeOH, in this case a little Heet should do the trick. Keep the concentration below 10%.
Charcoal is a very good filter medium for organic contaminant removal but does not work as well for inorganics. Ca(ClO)2 is an inorganic compound. Magnesol may be a better choice for removal. You could also try heating to drive the MeOH off and percipitate the Calcium Chloride.
Just a couple of ideas I really should give it more thought.

Dave

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<!-- END TEMPLATE: bbcode_quote -->So your suggestion is to use methanol to dissolve the pool chlorine, and after treating the fuel, boil off the methanol and THEN filter out the chlorine - or remove it with magnesol?

One thing I don't understand is, since they are specifically advertised to remove chlorine from drinking water, why wouldn't the activated charcoal household water filter also remove the chlorine from diesel? And if the chlorine can be removed by filtration, what would be the harm in leaving the methanol in the fuel - assuming the concentration remains low.

<!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: bbcode_quote -->
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0 itxtvisited="1"><TBODY itxtvisited="1"><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset" itxtvisited="1">Originally Posted by Phydeaux88
I was just thinking about this problem and wonder if an activated charcoal filter by itself wouldnt remove the dye. If it is an organic dye, and it probably is, there is a good chance it would work.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<!-- END TEMPLATE: bbcode_quote -->Well, I wondered about that too, but it makes sense to me that they would make it more difficult to remove than with a simple charcoal filter. Per the Wikipedia links posted by TXHillCountry, I got the impression that wouldn't work on the dyes. Here are those links Solvent Red 26 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and Solvent Red 164 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Obviously I'm no chemist, or I wouldn't be asking all these questions, but since you are, and you do such a good job of explaining chemistry in terms that we non-chemists can understand, maybe you can look at the info at those links and give us an explanation of why a charcoal filter won't remove it, as well as a more thorough analysis of whether the chlorine/charcoal filter combo might (or might not) work.

Old 03-16-2009, 09:44 AM
Phydeaux88
Posting Guru
Jeep
I just got back from your part of the world, spent a week in Portland OR, for a seminar.

The problem with Charcoal is that it absorbs organic materials very well, thats why it will remove organic contaminants. Since Diesel is organic it would saturate the charcoal quickly.

It works in water because water is not an organic compound.

Old 03-16-2009, 09:52 AM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
You spent a week in Portland and didn't let me know!!!!!
I'm only 137 miles from there and would have gone to see ya.

Now I'm hurt.................

Old 03-17-2009, 12:25 AM
CheaperJeeper
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by fabmandelux
You spent a week in Portland and didn't let me know!!!!!
I'm only 137 miles from there and would have gone to see ya.

Now I'm hurt.................
Ditto.

And as always, your explanation makes perfect sense Phydeaux...

Any other filter medium you know of that would remove the chlorine without getting saturated by the petroleum?

Old 03-17-2009, 08:32 AM
Phydeaux88
Posting Guru
Actually my time in Portland was pretty full. Class started at 8:45 AM and I seldom got out of there before 6:30 PM.

But I should have contacted you guys. SORRY !!!

Old 03-17-2009, 10:05 AM
Phydeaux88
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by CheaperJeeper
Any other filter medium you know of that would remove the chlorine without getting saturated by the petroleum?
In a word "no".

Extraction into water thru a semipermeable membrane would probably work.
I don't know how soluble chlorine, in this case we are talking about hypochlorite, is in petroleum but there will be some and any can cause corrosion problems.

It is a shame that azo-dyes are so hard to remove from petroleum products, but that is why they are used.

Old 03-17-2009, 10:26 PM
CheaperJeeper
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Phydeaux88
In a word "no".

Extraction into water thru a semipermeable membrane would probably work.
I don't know how soluble chlorine, in this case we are talking about hypochlorite, is in petroleum but there will be some and any can cause corrosion problems.

It is a shame that azo-dyes are so hard to remove from petroleum products, but that is why they are used.
Oh well, I've heard that if you add just 5% filtered WMO to red-dyed fuel it is more than enough to color it to where you can't even tell it was ever red.

Old 03-18-2009, 03:40 PM
Phydeaux88
Posting Guru
You could also try some ATF

Old 03-20-2009, 01:10 AM
CheaperJeeper
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Phydeaux88
You could also try some ATF
LOL! That would just add more red to it - how would that help?

One other question. MAKO314 - the originator of this thread - said he ran his home-made BD through one of these charcoal filters and it went from yellow to nearly clear.

How come it works with BD, but not with offroad diesel. Why doesn't the BD - which is even more "organic" hydrocarbons than petro diesel - not saturate the filter?

Now I'm really confused....

Old 03-20-2009, 09:38 AM
Fett Affen
Freshman User
charcoal filter, dyed fuel

Out here in S. Cal. the hiway patrol is setting up stops at random and dipping tanks to check for red dye diesel or bio so that the great welfare state can obtain more monies to throw down the drain. The fines and penalties are stiff and expensive. You need all kinds of permits and there are even restrictions on how much wvo that you can haul away from the resturants at one time. There is a bill in the california senate to eliminate the road tax on bio for a few years but I have not seen that pass yet. I heard that the H.P. was dipping tanks at the Auto Speedway in Fontana and the story goes that one poor soul got fined $18,000.00. Don't know if that is true but I would not doubt it the way we are over regulated and taxed. I am a small contractor and the paper work we are required to produce and keep is ridiculous. New rule for cabinet makers is to keep records for two years on the plywood and sheet goods that we buy. Sorry for the rantings on but I am ready to move to another state.
Dave

Old 03-20-2009, 05:46 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
You can thank Baker Commodities, and Darling International for your problems. They spent 3 million $$ to convince the California Legislature to pass the restrictions that are choking home-brewers in your state.

Old 03-23-2009, 11:28 AM
Phydeaux88
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Fett Affen
Out here in S. Cal. the hiway patrol is setting up stops at random and dipping tanks to check for red dye diesel or bio so that the great welfare state can obtain more monies to throw down the drain. Dave
Do they have a way to test for Bio.
It seems to me that almost any DIY blend should cover you.

Originally Posted by Fett Affen
so that the great welfare state can obtain more monies to throw down the drain. The fines and penalties are stiff and expensive. You need all kinds of permits and there are even restrictions on how much wvo that you can haul away from the resturants at one time. There is a bill in the california senate to eliminate the road tax on bio for a few years but I have not seen that pass yet. I heard that the H.P. was dipping tanks at the Auto Speedway in Fontana and the story goes that one poor soul got fined $18,000.00. Don't know if that is true but I would not doubt it the way we are over regulated and taxed. I am a small contractor and the paper work we are required to produce and keep is ridiculous. New rule for cabinet makers is to keep records for two years on the plywood and sheet goods that we buy. Sorry for the rantings on but I am ready to move to another state.
Dave
Thats why several folks I know refer to Calif as the PDRK or Peoples Democratic Republic of Kalifornia.

Quick Reply: charcoal filter, great results