1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lariat Gauge Cluster in XLT, DONE!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 11:51 AM
FTX
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lariat Gauge Cluster in XLT, DONE!!

Hi Guys,

I wanted the functions of the Lariat Gauage Cluster in my 2005 XLT (Message Center, MPG, Miles to Empty, compass etc) plus I like the look of the Lariat Gauges. So I decided to do an upgrade.

Got a nice Lariat Cluster off of Ebay and sourced the additional pins, Message Center Switch/connector and compass module from a junked SD.

Upgrade was very easy. I used 4 pins taken from a junked Speedo harness and inserted them into pin 18,19 for the compass module and 20,21 for the message center (those are empty on XLT harness) . I then ran wires from those to the MCS and compass module (along with Power for compass and lighting for MCS), then carefully cut a hole for the message center switch. Turned it on an everything worked like a charm!!

Oh, you may also note I installed a new Leather Lariat steering wheel which gives me stereo control in addition to the cruise buttons. HVAC buttons don't work since my XLT doesn't have EATC.

With this mod plus the 2008 Seat Leather and Center Console with rear cupholders (see last pic) I now I have all the things I like about the Lariat combined with the things I like about the XLT (not a woody fan)

Here are the Pics!!

Old 08-14-2008, 11:57 AM
crashedct
Mountain Pass
looks great.. good job.. great post!! I have been itching to do this since I got my XLT... (same as you.. want the look and functionality of a Lariat without the woody look) - did you have to reprogram your mileage and such? any issues with the install?

Old 08-14-2008, 12:18 PM
FTX
Senior User
Originally Posted by crashedct
looks great.. good job.. great post!! I have been itching to do this since I got my XLT... (same as you.. want the look and functionality of a Lariat without the woody look) - did you have to reprogram your mileage and such? any issues with the install?
No issues at all with install. I thought my PCM would need to be reprogrammed to recognize the advanced functions of the Lariat cluster (had to do this on an F-150 I upgraded) but everything worked perfectly without any programming. Concerning mileage. a dealer can increase the mileage to match your old one (common procedure when replacing a defective cluster). BUT, if you get a used one with more miles on it than you old one I am not sure if they can "decrease" the mileage.

Old 08-14-2008, 03:35 PM
jake00
FTE is my crack
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
that looks awesome, I'm not a huge fake wood fan, but i'll take it over not having the lariat

Old 08-14-2008, 03:54 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
Reputation points for that one! Great tech info too, specifying which pins...

Old 08-14-2008, 05:42 PM
jerzydiver
Senior User
does this mod affect your warrenty in any way as it was doone by you and not the dealer replacing a defective cluster???

Old 08-14-2008, 08:19 PM
Dustin1690
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That looks really sharp good job...

Old 08-14-2008, 11:39 PM
BobbyDiesel71
Postmaster
Originally Posted by FTX
Hi Guys,

I wanted the functions of the Lariat Gauage Cluster in my 2005 XLT (Message Center, MPG, Miles to Empty, compass etc) plus I like the look of the Lariat Gauges. So I decided to do an upgrade.

Got a nice Lariat Cluster off of Ebay and sourced the additional pins, Message Center Switch/connector and compass module from a junked SD.

Upgrade was very easy. I used 4 pins taken from a junked Speedo harness and inserted them into pin 18,19 for the compass module and 20,21 for the message center (those are empty on XLT harness) . I then ran wires from those to the MCS and compass module (along with Power for compass and lighting for MCS), then carefully cut a hole for the message center switch. Turned it on an everything worked like a charm!!

Oh, you may also note I installed a new Leather Lariat steering wheel which gives me stereo control in addition to the cruise buttons. HVAC buttons don't work since my XLT doesn't have EATC.

With this mod plus the 2008 Seat Leather and Center Console with rear cupholders (see last pic) I now I have all the things I like about the Lariat combined with the things I like about the XLT (not a woody fan)

Here are the Pics!!

very cool mods!!
how did you score the leather Lariat seat covers?

Old 08-15-2008, 07:04 AM
FTX
Senior User
Originally Posted by toyota hauler
very cool mods!!
how did you score the leather Lariat seat covers?
Thanks!!

Check this thread concerning my 2008 Seat Leather...

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...5-it-fits.html

Old 08-15-2008, 10:06 AM
Boo_Daddy
Tuned
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
FTX. Man I have been wanting to do this. I just want the message center and compass. I like my black XLT gauges though. do you think it would be possible to just install the new message center and switches and compass?

Also, I have a manual transmission, so I have a voltmeter instead of a trans temp gauge. Thats why I still want to use my old gauges.

Old 08-15-2008, 11:12 AM
FTX
Senior User
Originally Posted by Boo_Daddy
FTX. Man I have been wanting to do this. I just want the message center and compass. I like my black XLT gauges though. do you think it would be possible to just install the new message center and switches and compass?

Also, I have a manual transmission, so I have a voltmeter instead of a trans temp gauge. Thats why I still want to use my old gauges.
I am also curious if the Message Center Switch will activate those features in an XLT cluster. Next time I have mine out I will check it and get back to you. It wouldn't surprise me if it worked, usually these features are left out to save money on lower grade versions (Lariat vs XLT/XL). Since the Message Center switch costs $60+ it is possible that that was enough of a price difference and the guts/brains of the clusters are the same. I have seen situations like this before.

Looking at the pinouts on the clusters there is no separate signal for the trans temp gauge since everything is sent thru the digital CAN bus and/or UBP diag signals. I would guess even if you installed a gauge with a trans temp gauge it will still read as a volt gauge since the signals are being sent by the specific programming of the PCM etc. If that were true (and I would bet money on it) you could then simply swap out the cluster "graphics sheet" that has the graphics on it. This would give you the all black gauges and the volt gauge.

Below are the pinouts of the 2 cluster connectors (220a, 220b) and the MCS connector (C265). If you can get a Message Center Switch you run a couple of wires from Connector 220a (left black connector on top of cluster) pin 21 to pin 2 of the switch and Connector 220a pin 20 to pin 3 of the switch and see if it works. You don't have to hookup the ground or illumination pins (1 & 4) on the switch as those are for illumination only.

If you can't find an MCS and are comfortable with hooking up resistors you can "make" a Message Center Switch using some resistors, see bottom diagram for values.

Old 08-15-2008, 11:29 AM
Boo_Daddy
Tuned
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Thanks for the diagrams..
I was actually thinking of just swapping out the message center display portion of the lariat cluster into my XLT cluster. I just havent looked at the back of the clusters to verifiy that it can be done.

I am thinking the same as you, in the fact that the features may already be in the xlt cluster. If I can round up those value resistors I may give it a shot this weekend. Could be a 2 dollar upgrade!! LOL.

Old 08-15-2008, 12:03 PM
03_PSD
Postmaster
very nice, reps commin!

Old 08-15-2008, 01:09 PM
consol
Senior User
What a great job. I just replaced all of my '05 seats with 08 cloth and wish I would have waited to find leather.

Oh well.

Question: Did your cushions basically fall off the frames? Did you spray glue them back to the frames?

The reason I ask is that my cushions feel pretty darn spongy now.

Old 08-15-2008, 07:43 PM
WH90
Senior User
looks good man you think this is possible for an 01 7.3

Quick Reply: Lariat Gauge Cluster in XLT, DONE!!