General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

michael phelps

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 11:56 PM
Red Star
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This should prove everything.

Cavic's hands are touching the wall and at the same time Phelps' hands are still out of the water.

Old 08-16-2008, 12:26 AM
Kep4
Jäger
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I just watched it.... Cavic had stopped swimming and Phelps was coming full stroke into the touch pad. Phelps won, 50.58 seconds to 50.59 seconds.

You can't honestly state that fuzzy pic is your basis for this?!?! 1 1/100th of a second is extremely close and Phelps touched first, he had more speed into the pad so slo-mo pics won't tell you much, especially pics with a severe lack of focus.

Anyway, what's done is done and it's not worth bickering over.....

Old 08-16-2008, 12:27 AM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
wow unbelievable, even the serbs admit that he lost, that picture looks to me like his hands are about a half to full inch short and he is stretched to his limit so had to make another kick and in that time Phelps managed to touch the wall. But as everyone figured you will never agree even if hte very people you say should be protesting it DID protest it, WERE given the evidence and DID come to the conclusion that Phelps won. Now when every single person actually involved including the very people with the most to win or lose say your wrong and you STILL can't let it go I would call that really poor sportsmanship.

He LOST sorry maybe he was just a hair faster but you have to finish to win he miscalculated how far away he was when making his reach and that miscalculation cost him the gold end of story.

Old 08-16-2008, 10:09 AM
Red Star
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by monsterbaby
wow unbelievable, even the serbs admit that he lost, that picture looks to me like his hands are about a half to full inch short and he is stretched to his limit so had to make another kick and in that time Phelps managed to touch the wall. But as everyone figured you will never agree even if hte very people you say should be protesting it DID protest it, WERE given the evidence and DID come to the conclusion that Phelps won. Now when every single person actually involved including the very people with the most to win or lose say your wrong and you STILL can't let it go I would call that really poor sportsmanship.

He LOST sorry maybe he was just a hair faster but you have to finish to win he miscalculated how far away he was when making his reach and that miscalculation cost him the gold end of story.
If Serbs agree that Cavic lost - why would they want to file a protest? Think about it.

Old 08-16-2008, 10:44 AM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Originally Posted by Red Star
If Serbs agree that Cavic lost - why would they want to file a protest? Think about it.
Wow You still don't get it do ya, talk about poor sportsman I am glad I never have to race to compete against you because I can guarrentee you would be kicked off all the tracks around here forever.

The Serbs DID protest, The Serbs were given the tapes, the time clock evidence, and they examined all of it and concieded that Phelps did indeed win the race but you can't seem to let it go.

Old 08-16-2008, 11:46 AM
freirefishing
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if there was any thread every worth getting locked this is definately one of them. judges were called in last night to review,and it was concluded in less than 2 minutes that there was a clear winner.

7 gold medals,and this thread has turned into a spygate type of thread. f-in rediculous

Old 08-16-2008, 11:54 AM
Behemoth
Laughing Gas
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Well, I'm back to report my findings....I argued with my blender, and oddly, it didn't make me a pizza. I guess I should file a protest, and see if Oster can get me a blender with a more warm and fuzzy disposition. (I'll not be holding my breath on that account either)

As for the Canadian picture, I don't know if they have won a medal yet. They've been in the chase in a few events, but they tend to have a problem with follow through for some unforseen reason. I guess the circumstances just haven't smiled upon them yet. They've got a number of sculls finals coming up, perhaps they'll pull it off there. I gotta say, though, that they've been the most optimistic people about it. Even after their gymnast finished the individual all-around in 16th, they were still pleased with her, and she was pretty happy about it as well. They do have a good shot-puter, but I don't know how he finished. I'm sure they'll medal a few times before the whole shebang is over.

Old 08-16-2008, 01:05 PM
xtrford
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Behemoth
As for the Canadian picture, I don't know if they have won a medal yet.
Ben Johnson.....where are you man??

Just a joke btw....DO NOT want to turn this thread into some doping debate.

Old 08-16-2008, 02:47 PM
Red Star
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by monsterbaby
Wow You still don't get it do ya, talk about poor sportsman I am glad I never have to race to compete against you because I can guarrentee you would be kicked off all the tracks around here forever.

The Serbs DID protest, The Serbs were given the tapes, the time clock evidence, and they examined all of it and concieded that Phelps did indeed win the race but you can't seem to let it go.
No, that's not what happened. Serbs filed a protest and it was rejected immediately because people from the Olympics didn't want a controversial decisions. Serbs never agreed that Phelps won, not before or after the decision.

If Phelps have to beat the record and win another gold this way, then congrats to him.

Old 08-16-2008, 03:19 PM
herman391
Posting Guru
Red Star, the race is over, Cavic may or may not have touched the wall first, but the medal has been awarded, and the debate and protesting in China (where the olympics are actually taking place, not on FTE) are over. Whining on an internet forum ins't going to change anything, let it go man. I will say that on the regular speed camera's it looked like cavic won, but the actual finish was to fast for the human eye to see at regular speed. Congrat's to Phelps for winning another medal.

As for Canada's medal count, we won 3 medals overnight.

Old 08-16-2008, 04:07 PM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Im surprised at how many of you actually watch the olympics. I honestly find watching those kind of sport events so damn boring that i want to hang myself in a couple of minutes haha.

Ive always been more of a player then a watcher though.

Sounds like this swimmer is doing pretty good too, and hes what, 23 years of age to boot?

Not to worry, I have a boat, i could beat him inna race haha

Old 08-16-2008, 04:26 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

No, that's not what happened. Serbs filed a protest and it was rejected immediately because people from the Olympics didn't want a controversial decisions. Serbs never agreed that Phelps won, not before or after the decision.

Red star let me help you since obviously you are incapable of reading it in the articles about this.

The Serbian delegation filed a protest, but conceded that Phelps won after reviewing the tape provided by FINA, swimming's governing body. USA Swimming spokeswoman Jamie Olsen said the tape was slowed to one frame every 10-thousandth of a second to make sure Phelps actually touched first.
That is what is written in every article about it. now show me where in that does it say the serbian protest was rejected and why can't you read the part about the serbian delegation conceded that Phelps won. I really honestly can not even begin to fathom what type of person can not grasp that concept when ALL parties INCLUDING the Serbian delegation admit that phelps won, So why can't you?
it's simple Cavic may even have reached the wall first but the rules that EVERYONE knows and plays by are you are not done until you hit the wall with enough pressure to stop the clock. Cavic knew this and so did Phelps. Its plainly obvious to most everyone around that Cavics clock switch was working because he stopped the clock 1 hundredth of a second AFTER Phelps. And the Serbians protest was acknowledged, was double checked, and then the evidence was given to them for their own review and after reviewing said evidence concided that Phelps won.
It's like in drag racing, lets say you take off get to 1300ft before I do and then let off the throttle to coast across the finish line but I don't let off and at the last split second break the beam even 1 thousandths of a second before you do, I would still win. What happens during the entire race is totally irrelevant (unless someone is cheating and NO ONE is accusing anyone of that) it's all about who actually breaks the beam or in the case of racing who puts the required amount of force onto the wall first to stop the clock. In this case Phelps was still swimming while Clavic had started to coast, so yes Clavic was ahead but the rules are that you must stop the clock first and that he didn't do so Silver for Clavic, Gold for Phelp and Clavic and the Serbian delegation agree.

I have also done a search to see if even foriegn news articles say that the serbian protest was rejected and so far the ONLY place that comes up is in your posts.

Old 08-16-2008, 04:27 PM
Red Star
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by herman391
Red Star, the race is over, Cavic may or may not have touched the wall first, but the medal has been awarded, and the debate and protesting in China (where the olympics are actually taking place, not on FTE) are over. Whining on an internet forum ins't going to change anything, let it go man. I will say that on the regular speed camera's it looked like cavic won, but the actual finish was to fast for the human eye to see at regular speed. Congrat's to Phelps for winning another medal.
Sadly, that's true.

Old 08-16-2008, 04:34 PM
Behemoth
Laughing Gas
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

If Phelps have to beat the record and win another gold this way, then congrats to him.
Again, you're making up your own realities, and it's quite adorable...delusional, but adorable nonetheless.

The Indo-Asian News Service issued an article that clears any confusion up for one final time. I chose this article because it's not an American agency, and it's not European either, so no bias toward either country can be inferred. The article states,

"The Serbian swimming team Saturday lodged an official protest against the result of the men's 100m butterfly, which American superstar Michael Phelps won by one hundredth of a second against Serbian Milorad Cavic. But the protest was turned down.

Phelps, for whom it was the seventh gold
medal of the Games, won in a time of 50.58 secs, while Cavic was timed at 50.59.

The executive director of the sport's governing body FINA Cornel Marculescu confirmed afterwards that the Serbian team had lodged an official written protest within the stipulated 30 minutes after the race.

"This was turned down and written reasons were given to the Serbian team. We also allowed them to look at the video footage of the swim.

"Although this is normally not permitted, we decided to do it to be transparent and to show that we have nothing to hide. The Serbians looked at it and were happy."

Marculescu said that the Serbians could have appealed to the jury of appeal, but had not done so.

He added that Phelps was the greatest swimmer of all time. "He was going to win this race anyway. The only question was whether he was going to share the
gold medal or get it on his own," he said.

Phelps said that he had not been aware of the protest. "This is the first I hear of it.

"The timing system says it all. There has not really been an error in the timing system that I've heard of. I swam my best and as hard as I could.

"And I guess the board says I touched first." "

Now, if you continue to claim the Serbians didn't concede the race, you're just arguing to hear yourself ramble, and it's counterproductive. I'm done with this thing as it's been put to bed by everyone involved...the Serbians, the Americans, the Chinese, the International Olympic Committee, and the Federation Internationale de Natation (FINA), the governing body of all swimming competition.

So, either we talk about new news, and the Olympics for not only Phelps, but everyone else involved, or you can continue to act like what a friend of mine is fond of saying, "Like a kid with a saggy diaper that leaks"....(that phrase always makes me laugh).

As for the Canadians scooping up three medals over the night, good for them! I knew it was only going to be a matter of time...they've been close in quite a few contests going on. I've been paying a bit of attention to them as I've been watching the Canadian Broadcast Channel, as they've been playing the coverage actually live, instead of where NBC has been playing it 'live' but with a 2 to 3 hour delay. I haven't quite figured out how the heck that can be advertised as "live" yet, but they keep putting that word up on the screen....weirdos.

I also was glad to hear that Bolt took the gold in the 100m...that guy is the fastest freakin thing I've ever seen. He ran a 9.92 in the semi's, and he had shut it down only 50m into the race. He basically jogged to the finish and still had that time. Running a 9.69 in the final was nuts. He completely deserves the title.

Old 08-16-2008, 04:41 PM
jroehl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It wasn't that the protest was rejected--their CLAIM was rejected due to the timeclock and high-speed camera evidence. All the pictures you have posted to this point are fuzzy and have parallax error because they were taken at an angle, or, in the case of the overhead picture, the fat lady hadn't sung yet (neither had touched the wall). There are high-speed cameras (thousands of frames per second versus the standard 30 fps of TV or 60 fps of some HDTV) on stands over the wall/water boundary for every couple lanes. That evidence was reviewed after the protest was filed, and the claim was easily rejected when the high-speed cameras told the tale. Case closed. On the podium, Cavic was clearly happy to have gotten a silver, not disappointed he missed out on the gold. He knew that he should have taken another partial stroke--he was almost stopped short of the wall, but Phelps was in the fastest portion of his stroke when he touched.

Jason

Quick Reply: michael phelps