General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

michael phelps

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 10:10 PM
Red Star
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 08-15-2008, 10:14 PM
Behemoth
Laughing Gas
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Those are pretty pictures....but Cavic is still 6 inches away from the wall, and he's on a stretch of his original stroke, while Phelps was in mid stroke...his hands were coming around twice as fast as Cavic's hands were moving forward....so, if you can show us the picture of the finish 0.01 second before it was over, and Cavic still has a discernable lead, then I might buy into it.

Until then....I'll repeat myself...take it up with Omega Timepieces.

Old 08-15-2008, 10:15 PM
Red Star
Posting Guru
Pause at 2:42.

YouTube - michael phelps 7th gold medal beijing olympics 2008

It clearly shows the winner.

Old 08-15-2008, 10:15 PM
Kep4
Jäger
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
So TV viewers and NBC broadcasters know better than touch-sensitive pads? The human eye can be easily fooled but electronics are not so easily tricked. I highly doubt the Chinese government was looking to appease the USA with Phelps winning gold medals.

I'll be watching it later tonight so I'll let you know my marginal and probably easily disputed opinion.

Are those pics of the race or the heat and how can we tell the difference???

Old 08-15-2008, 10:16 PM
Red Star
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Behemoth
Nobody's afraid of anything.....you can't argue with a clock that's synchronized with all 8 lanes...there's no conspiracy, no grassy knoll, no smoking gun, no backroom payoff....Phelps won.

I didn't even think he was going to win, myself...but the clock surprised me. I was glad to see it.
Then why nobody wanted to listen to Serbian protests?
If people from Olympics had nothing to hide why not show the entire world?

Old 08-15-2008, 10:27 PM
Behemoth
Laughing Gas
Nobody wanted to listen to the protest, because nobody wanted to watch the Serbians embarrass themselves by arguing with a digital clock! What, you think the Americans snuck into the pool that morning and put bubble gum behind the sensors on all the lanes except Phelps? Give me a break. The clock doesn't care who won, it only knows who tripped it first......that's it, end of story.

You can complain about it until you pass out, but you cannot dispute the outcome with a clock. Now if the end of the race was judged by human beings, then I'd be questioning it like crazy, but it was a machine that made the decision.......if Phelps lost, i'd be saying the exact same thing.....I don't know about you, but I've tried arguing with some of my major appliances in my home, and they tend not to listen to me. Arguing with a clock is silly. Thinking that it was a grand scheme against the Serbians is even more silly. Cavic lost the race. If they raced again tomorrow, Cavic might win the race, or he might not...there are no guarantees. The swimmers aren't upset about the outcome, and they're the one's with the most at stake. So why are you so bent out of shape about it?

My advice? Send Cavic a condolence card, turn off your TV as it obviously upsets you, put down the spy novels, and open your drapes...the world isn't as evil as you think it is.

Old 08-15-2008, 10:27 PM
Red Star
Posting Guru
I really don't wanna argue with anyone so I'll stop here.

People from Olympics are now saying that Cavic didn't push the wall hard enough when he touched it. So it seems to me that they're making rules as they're going along. It also seems to me that in 10 years or so Phelps' story will be similar to Marion Jones' story, but I don't wanna go into that.

Congrats to Phelps, hopefully someday we'll know the complete truth.

Old 08-15-2008, 10:43 PM
Behemoth
Laughing Gas
For somebody that doesn't want to argue, you sure like to get your share of pot shots in.

I will, however, say that I hope that someone investigates the finish on that race as completely as possible, and if Cavic still loses, I'll be shocked if you actually admit it. You'll most likely claim that the investigation was somehow tainted, the stars weren't in alignment, Serbia was having a bad hair day, Phelps had thicker water poured into Cavic's lane (now that'd be funny).
If, however, they find that Phelps didn't win, then fine...he should turn the gold over to Cavic.

All they have to do is get a computer controlled digital clock built by Omega to change its mind....good luck.

Old 08-15-2008, 10:52 PM
Red Star
Posting Guru
If Cavic lost, that's fine, but why doesn't people from Olympics just show their evidence so the rest of the world don't have to wonder what really happened? Saying that they didn't do that because "they don't want to embarrass the Serbs" is such a nonsense. They embarrassed us (Serbs) enough by the way they stole the gold from Cavic. How much worse could it possible be?

Right now they are now saying that Cavic didn't push the wall hard enough when he touched it. Are they serious?

By not wanting even to listen to Serbian protests people from Olympics are pretty much implying that something happened that they don't want for the rest of the world to know.

If Phelps won fair then congrats to him. I was actually cheering for him during the Olympics, but tonight I had to cheer for my fellow countryman Cavic.

Old 08-15-2008, 11:06 PM
Behemoth
Laughing Gas
I thought you were done arguing......guess not.

The "evidence" was shown............it's called a CLOCK. There is nothing for the Serbians to protest, as you can't get a clock to offer an opinion. If Cavic didn't press the to the wall like he should have, then that's his own fault. Every other swimmer in the pool seems to know how to do that. Phelps did win fairly, and even Cavic accepted it. Too bad you can't do the same.

I'm going to go argue with my blender now....perhaps I can convince it to make me a pizza.

Old 08-15-2008, 11:25 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
On reviewing a high speed tape....

"The Serb delegation filed a protest, but conceded that Phelps won after reviewing the tape provided by FINA, swimming's governing body. USA Swimming spokesman Jamie Olson said the tape was slowed to one frame every 10-thousandth of a second to make sure Phelps actually touched first. It was impossible to tell on regular-speed replays."

With seventh gold medal, Phelps catches Spitz - 2008 Olympics - SI.com

I think we're done...the "it was impossible to tell on regular speed replays" pretty much nails it. If both the high speed tape and the electronic pad called Phelps the winner, he was the winner. It's obvious that a combination of timing, luck, skill, and very long arms made the difference here. More than a little bit different than subjective gymnastics scores or like that, don't ya think?

George

Old 08-15-2008, 11:32 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Star
It also seems to me that in 10 years or so Phelps' story will be similar to Marion Jones' story, but I don't wanna go into that.
As a very funny comic would say, "There's your sign".

Old 08-15-2008, 11:43 PM
Red Star
Posting Guru
I thought you were done arguing......guess not.
Well you keep replying to my comments and I have nothing better to do.

The "evidence" was shown............it's called a CLOCK. There is nothing for the Serbians to protest, as you can't get a clock to offer an opinion. If Cavic didn't press the to the wall like he should have, then that's his own fault. Every other swimmer in the pool seems to know how to do that. Phelps did win fairly, and even Cavic accepted it. Too bad you can't do the same.
What was Cavic supposed to do? Go in front of the cameras and said "Gold was stolen from me"? What athlete would ever do that?
Let us for a moment agree that Cavic won. Do you think people from Olympics would go in the front of the media and say that the clock was wrong and that Cavic won a gold?
The clock was supposed to respond as soon as swimmer touches it which it didn't happen this time. It's a swimming competition, not how-hard-you-can-push-the-wall competition.

Old 08-15-2008, 11:43 PM
bigrigfixer
The Pacifier

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Okay, back to topic.

Who's gonna win more medals, Canada, or Michael Phelps?

Has Canada even got a medal yet? Haven't watched yet today.

Old 08-15-2008, 11:54 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Star
Well you keep replying to my comments and I have nothing better to do.

What was Cavic supposed to do? Go in front of the cameras and said "Gold was stolen from me"? What athlete would ever do that?
Let us for a moment agree that Cavic won. Do you think people from Olympics would go in the front of the media and say that the clock was wrong and that Cavic won a gold?
The clock was supposed to respond as soon as swimmer touches it which it didn't happen this time. It's a swimming competition, not how-hard-you-can-push-the-wall competition.
Did you not see the post about the HIGH SPEED CAMERA confirming Phelps' win? How can you dispute the combination of a high speed camera AND the electronic switch?

And there are at least two athletes protesting their placing for various reasons, including some wrestler who threw his bronze medal on the floor and walked off the podium because he thought he should have the gold. (I don't know or care about the story here.)

Quick Reply: michael phelps