1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Bearing Wear Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 10:52 PM
Knotwild
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bearing Wear Question

I guess this is a question for someone who really knows diesel engines, or perhaps a beware statement. I just got my engine oil analysis back from Blackstone and my lead reading (indicating bearing wear) went from 3 to 4 ppm for three previous tests to 19ppm. Blackstone indicated that the high lead could be temporary and caused by a particle streaking a bearing.

The 19 ppm test came after using Magnesol to drywash my biodiesel and filtering it through a 1 micron absolute filter on the way to my truck's tranfer tank. Then it goes through a micron nominal filter on the way to my truck fuel tank. The only other variable is that I used a K&N oil filter instead of my usual Napa Gold. I don't trust K&N products after reading this forum. But one of two things happened or a combination;

1: The K&N filter let me down and a particle/particles of debris streaked my
bearings.
2: The Magnesol is somehow getting into my oil.

All of the other oil test parameters besides the lead for this test were in line with the previous 3 tests. Only the lead was significantly higher.

So, the questions are: Can particles 1 micron and smaller hurt an engine and would it wind up in the oil in particle sizes large enough to affect the bearings considering it was filtered so fine (remember, 1 micron is bacteria sized) and it went through combustion? If it were the Magnesol, would it not show increased wear in other areas also? Is bearing streaking something that probably happens to a lot of engines and we just don't know it without engine analysis?

And, if particles in fuel filtered to 1 micron can damage an engine, why is Caterpillar leading the industry in using a fuel filter that is 2 microns?

Old 08-10-2008, 11:24 PM
scatgo
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think you are barking up the wrong tree as far as the fuel filter goes. I don't think any thing in your fuel will make it down to the engine oil. They do test to see how much fuel is in the oil from blow by or other sources. How was that part of your test? I cam up 20 on the lead on my test witch did not surprise me because there were lots of metal chips on the magnet on my drain plug. That was a indication that something was wrong in the lower end of my motor. And the fuel in oil part of my test came up 0.5 so I know it is not fuel related. So IMHO I think something else is going on that is putting junk in your lower end.

Old 08-11-2008, 07:35 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
how are you mixing the magnesol?

If you use any sort of mechanical pump to mix the magnesol, you will just break it down.
You have to mix magnesol by hand, and use no pumps at all. The magnesol breaks down so fine, when you use a pump, that you cannot filter it out.
This could easily make it though the injectors, and damage the inside of the engine.
It wont burn out, it will just score the cylinder walls.
Sometimes it just clogs injectors.

I don't see why a high lead content would nessarly say "bearing wear" but who knows.
If you are using magnesol and are starting to have problems, the magnesol is getting in the oil someplace.

Old 08-11-2008, 08:07 AM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Its possible its the Mag getting into the oil but I doubt it. It probably is a particle streak. The best thing to do would be to resample after an oil change. I would also try to get away from the Mag. I know you are already thinking that. In my mind its just like water. Why add it to the fuel you try so hard keep that kind of stuff out of.

I would really recommend looking into the GL1 process. I don't use water, mag or a tower. I am looking into a tower of sorts but not like the resin towers they use. I just have a CF that I use after I recover the methanol and let the soaps settle out for a day or two.

Old 08-11-2008, 08:49 AM
MADVAN
Postmaster
Tj

Possible the the motor is self cleaning from the fuel? (carbon). I can see a streak from carbon getting into the oil system during cold start. (pressure bypass).
Just thoughts.
Bill

Old 08-11-2008, 09:24 AM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Bill that is certainly possible. I have not sampled any oil yet since I started brewing. I hve a sample ready to send in just haven't done it yet.

Old 08-11-2008, 11:07 AM
MADVAN
Postmaster
My other thoughts are about lube oils.
Like the change from LSD to ULSD fuel. The additive package
in lube oils to combat sulfuric acid (product of combustion) was reduced.
It was found that the additives would cause carbon deposits behind the rings due to it has less sulfur to fight.

Just some things i have come acrossed now that we are playing with fuels.

Bill

Old 08-11-2008, 09:13 PM
Knotwild
Tuned
Thanks to everyone. You guys are good. I think you all gave some good information for me to think about.

Everything else in my sample was normal except the potassium was a little higher. Everything else was lower than Blackstone's overall average. I also let Blackstone know what to be aware of in that sample. The iron, chromium, aluminum that would indicate rings and cylinder wear were all below the average. Fuel in the oil was less than 0.5 ppm.

I am thinking of getting away from Magnesol, but Don, who posts in alternative fuels is using it with no problems in his farm equipment. He also final filters through 1 micron absolute filters. And, everything that goes in my truck goes through a 1 micron absolute filter, which means nothing larger than a microbe is going through the injectors. Aren't the fuel filters in these trucks 10 micron?

I am not a mechanic, so I haven't seen what you guys have seen in engines. I just try to get the best info available (that's you guys), take very good care of my truck, and make informed decisions.

I have been running 4500 miles between oil changes, so I think I might take a sample at 2500 and see if it was a particle streak.

I would like to get away from magnesol, but it is fast and makes beautiful fuel, so I might order a bag filter housing that will allow me to filter the devil out of the fuel. I don't pump the Magnesol, everything moves by vacum and pressure. And, I am reaching the point where I have about 75-100 gallons of oil every week to process so time counts.

You all have eased my mind some. But I will not ever use a K&N oil filter again, just because it was there when it happened!

I do also drive conservatively, like I hardly ever pass 2000 rpms except on the interstate, so carbon just might be the culprit. I will keep you all posted.

Thanks, Jim

Old 08-12-2008, 12:36 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
magnesol filters the fuel the best IMO.
But its good your useing a presure system to move it
If you actually break the magnesol down enough, it will not filter out.

Sounds like something else happened then magnesol then.
Possible filter problem. =)
Just remember NOT to fill up your oil filter before you put it on as well, just oil the ring and throw it on. the oil you put in the filter will not be filtered. so if you knock in some dirt, into the engine it goes. =)

Old 08-12-2008, 06:02 AM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Talyn
Just remember NOT to fill up your oil filter before you put it on as well, just oil the ring and throw it on. the oil you put in the filter will not be filtered. so if you knock in some dirt, into the engine it goes. =)
so after an oil change you start the truck with the filter dry? i'm not sure i could live with that. i just make sure i am careful

-cutts-

Old 08-12-2008, 06:34 AM
Cuda_jim
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I totally agree with ^fishy^. Dry starts should be avoided whenever possible.

Old 08-12-2008, 10:15 AM
Knotwild
Tuned
When I remember, I do put oil in the filter.
I am thinking that Bill is on the right track with the idea that the biodiesel may have cleaned out some carbon. My slow driving surely must build some carbon. I also think that Scatgo and TJ are right in that something had to happen in the bottom end that did not come through the injectors. All my fuel is filtered to 1 micron absolute (greater than 90% efficiency), so I don't think it squirted through my injectors and wound up in my bearings.

I am going with another oil analysis and I am going to look into bypass filters.

I found this link that helped me understand just what a micron is and what the clearances are in engines:

http://www.pecuniary.com/newsletters/microns2.html

Thanks very much guys. You can't beat experience!

Last edited by Knotwild; 08-12-2008 at 10:18 AM. Reason: Needed to add a link
Old 08-12-2008, 10:59 AM
scatgo
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Cuda_jim
I totally agree with ^fishy^. Dry starts should be avoided whenever possible.
Are you sure about the oil in the filter thing? I might be wrong but the oil pump pushes oil through the motor first and then to the filter witch means you will have oil in the motor at all times even after a oil change and with a empty filter.

Old 08-13-2008, 08:23 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Tis what a diesel mechanic told me.
He helps me with all my major truck repairs.
(He has more tools)
I just happened to change my oil over there one day, and went to dump oil in the filter, and he told me about it.
You don't get a dry start, due to plenty of oil being in the motor and on the rings during the change.
I always crank my motor over without starting it when I change my oil though as well.
I'm not sure how big the oil filters are for a diesel, but with a gas engine, it only takes a few turns of the pump to fill that 1/4 qt oil filter.

I guess we need an engine oil diagram. But far as I know, it picks up from the inside of the filter. Which is where you pour it in. *shrugs*

Old 08-13-2008, 08:56 AM
Knotwild
Tuned
All I know is that when I don't fill the oil filter, it seems like an eternity before the pressure comes up. I think I would agree with William though. Isn't it correct that the oil filter doesn't filter the entire flow of? I thought most engines allow oil to bypass so a dirty filter won't stop the whole flow.

I see that Dieselsite has some bypass filter systems that are very reasonably priced. I think I am going to get one of them.
http://www.dieselsite.com/index.asp?...ROD&ProdID=509