Lightning, Harley-Davidson F-150, Roush F-150 & Saleen F-150 SVT Ford F150 Lightning, Roush, Saleen and other performance F150's

02 lightning new owner

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 02:06 PM
F4L956
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 lightning new owner

what would be best recommended as bolt on & what websites to go to get the best HP x $???? any response thanks...

lightning 02

Old 10-06-2008, 05:33 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Assuming it doesn't already have them (seems most do by now) a 4lb pulley for street use along with a custom tune for it. Check out Troyer Performance, the man has tuned literally thousands of them. You oughta see his Lightning, one of the fastest stock block Lightnings out there, still holding together, unlike some of the tuners who boast of high numbers but can't keep the truck together for more than a couple of passes. Longevity counts. Get the Mike on the phone and he'll give you a world of knowledge about them.

Do you know what's installed on the truck currently?

Old 10-07-2008, 02:39 PM
F4L956
Junior User
Thumbs up

Thanks 4 a response!

as far as i know stock everything.. except rims 20's 5star
oh added royal purple only with k&n oil filter had also airaid CAI but the exhaust has some *****ty work on it was told by an muffler shop all kinds of diamaters in piping.

made a couple passes other night not to good.
4 passes

14.33 good one very late reation .53
14.54 slow reaction .27
14.66 didnt quite grip right
15.01 slept at tree

what is to say about truck with those kinds of times
02'lightning 87000 miles
THANKS ANY FEEDBACK!

Old 10-08-2008, 09:20 PM
RagunCajun
Senior User
your time spent on the line has NO effect on your e/t. The time starts when you move.

As for mods, you need to research A LOT. You need to figure out what your goals are. It might be cheaper to leave it as is and save to get some new internals or go full on built.

I personally have a 6lb ler with supporting mods and it's a very fun truck. I will go twin screw once i can afford to go built.

I hate to be rude but 20's on a sport truck is just dumb. These are awesome forums but it lack's Lightning specifics.

Good luck with everything. And remember, research!

Old 10-08-2008, 09:46 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
A sloppy frame and sloppy steering on a "sport truck" and poor crash ratings is dumb as well, but the Lightning has them. "Sport" isn't just about straight line driving, that's would be more accurately defined as a "muscle truck" and it takes some suspension and steering mods to make the Lightning truly a sport truck, and you'd still have to deal with the frame not being as stiff as it needs to be. Matter of fact, going by some definitions "sport" and "truck" together is dumb... but we build them anyway, don't we?

I guess I'm trying to say it depends on what you like and what you want. I need 4 doors to carry my family and a place to securely put some of my stuff. I want a 5 star safety rating. I appreciate a fully boxed frame when hitting corners fast. For that, I give up time in the 1/4 mile, but the 3V and variable cam makes up for a lot of that (truck is in the mid 12s now with 8lbs of boost, a heavy 4x4 drive train, 280 lbs of 20 inch wheels and the weight of a retractable tonneau cover). 4x4... well some say it doesn't have a place with supercharged F150s. Not so in my experience. If I switch to 4x4 I can do a full throttle launch on a high-stall converter with no wheel spin on street tires (well, except in the rain, all 4 will spin and the truck just moves sideways!). That's how some of the souped up Powerstrokes get their incredible 1/4 times because they are out of the trap fast. Then again, they are still just muscle trucks, not sport because they handle like a barge! lol (I know, I have one of those as well.)

So, it all has its place, and if someone wants to dress up the wheels, its their choice. It all depends on what they are after. If they want the best track times put on a set of light weight slicks and skinnies!

If pure ETs were all I wanted I'd be driving a Mustang, but my wants and needs require a vehicle with a lot more, plus nothing wrong with a few added features for comfort and appearance.

Peace!

Old 10-09-2008, 03:16 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by RagunCajun
I hate to be rude but 20's on a sport truck is just dumb. These are awesome forums but it lack's Lightning specifics.
Nah, that's just personal preference brah!

Go check out the guys who post on NLOC, SVT P, and LightningRodder. Lots of guys are running their L's with 20" wheels.

I'd be running with them too if it weren't for all that extra unsprung weight they bring to the table!

Stewart

Old 10-09-2008, 03:21 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by F4L956
14.54 slow reaction .27
Like Ragun posted, reaction time has no effect on your ET.

On that run I quoted up there, you could have sat at the green light for 30 seconds, then floored it and got the 14.54 ET.

Stewart

Old 10-09-2008, 07:12 AM
RagunCajun
Senior User
You are very right stewart. I guess im a bit of a hypocrite. If i could afford it, i would have Boyd Smoothie 2's in 20" with drag radials on the back. I went price them before i did my performance mods and it was $2020 for them in 18" w/o tires. 20's would of been 3k + tires so that's out of my range right now.

And the steering on my L is very sloppy. I drove my gf's 08 altima the other day to and from work(because she had to take my truck get a front end alighnment) and her steering is WAY better than my truck. I could not believe it. Not to mention it was liking riding on a cloud but i know trucks ride like crap. Mine will only get worse in that departmet.

I think after i do my 4/6 drop, i will work on the steering/handling or do it at the same time. Damn these trucks can make a man go broke in a jiffy

Old 10-09-2008, 08:50 AM
F4L956
Junior User
Thumbs up

thanks for the feedback...

well in all fairness i like a truck for all purposes either load,fun,personal like in appearance etc...
but 1 thing i like best is when you get up to a stop light next to a chevy then
you get the urge to show them down & crush them.. i have a heavy foot i just like joy riding,driving fast but need the extra HP to get ur done.
but its a good learning process to build up what you call ur own success the payoff comes at the end when u finally are satisfied with your beliefs.
THANKS AGAIN FOR INFO. knowledge is power!

Old 10-09-2008, 12:15 PM
RagunCajun
Senior User
The sad this here is i NEVER get challenged on the highways

Old 10-09-2008, 05:59 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
I do, but its probably because people know what a Lightning will do, while they are just guessing with a Roush F150. Though I've never had anyone try twice.

Old 10-09-2008, 09:53 PM
RagunCajun
Senior User
Yeah i think you are right. They prob think the roush is all show, no go.

At the weekly meets or something like that, a lot of the time the first thing people ask me if it's supercharged lol. It's like duuu, they all are from the factory.

what's your truck run in the 1/4? 60', e/t and mph?

Old 10-10-2008, 12:54 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
I'll get you the latest numbers as soon as the weather dries here. Just go done with some updated tuning. Been raining the last 2 days.

Old 10-18-2008, 09:46 AM
SM0KESH0W
New User
Racing a truck.. who would do that....

Old 10-18-2008, 09:58 AM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Someone who doesn't lose when doing it.