Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Trans cooler and TQ switch

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 04:27 PM
lappir
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trans cooler and TQ switch

Finally stopped at the transmission shop I see on my way down town. They have TruCoolers in stock and are willing to install on my 99 F350 CC DRW for around $200. I have asked for a Torque converter switch and they are willing to do that too. If I were home I'd tackle it myself but it's going to be 1500 miles to the shop and I may be pulling a new toyhauler when I leave. What does everyone think of the price quoted and should I search for the TQ mod and take a print out in or just let them set it up? Thanks for any input.

Rod

Old 08-06-2008, 05:20 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
If that price includes the price of the Tru Cool than they are only charging you about 70 bucks labor.

As far as the TC lock-up switch I would study the write-ups and then ask them some questions. There answers should tell you how to go.

Old 08-06-2008, 07:44 PM
danskool
Go Bills !
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
How heavy is that toyhauler that you will pulling 1500 miles home?

My dad has been pulling around 10000 pounds with no extra cooler or tc lockup. Not one single issue in 9 years. From buffalo ny to florida. (well had a few flat tires and the orings fail in the water drain valve)

Myself, Well more fussy about protection. I would get the cooler installed and the TC lock. It seems like a fair price and it will be all done with. If something happens on the way home (hope not) you will be beating you head against the fender wishing you got it done. If you make it home (Super Good Possibility) you will save a few bucks doing yourself. I think if i was you (me, not knowing how much the trailer weighs) I would do it.

Once it is in your thoughts, you must do. If you do not do what you thought you should have done, you may regret not doing.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:13 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by danskool
Once it is in your thoughts, you must do. If you do not do what you thought you should have done, you may regret not doing.
Dan, LMAO, you just wrote my biography in two sentences.

Old 08-07-2008, 07:54 PM
lappir
Senior User
Thanks for the responses. Need to look up some old posts with pictures of a Tru-Cool mounted to be sure the one I saw is the one I need.

Rod

Old 08-08-2008, 04:43 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by lappir
Thanks for the responses. Need to look up some old posts with pictures of a Tru-Cool mounted to be sure the one I saw is the one I need.

Rod
See here Link

Old 08-08-2008, 07:15 PM
lappir
Senior User
Thanks again for the response and link. I was thinking the cooler would go all the way across the radiator. The one I was shown while was very thick, was only about 15 inches square. It had 40,000 lbs written on the box though.

In response to the other question, I haven't picked out a trailer yet. Have looked at quite a few and pulled a 40 foot Dutchman Victory Lane to Florida and back last winter. Everything was fine till I got to the stop and go traffic in Florida and then overheated the fluid, lost over half on the roadway and was stuck on the road for almost 4 hours. Will not have that happen again. Torque converter was changed, OD plates and retainers changed and the cooler bypass was removed. Didn't have significant overheating issues on the trip back up North, but I stayed away from Stop and Go situations. Temps got close to 200 a couple times but not like it did before. I guess if I buy a trailer here I will have the work done, but if I'm just hauling the GW in the back, I'll just head to the shop.

Thanks again,

Rod

Old 08-23-2008, 08:35 AM
lappir
Senior User
The rest of the story. Stopped earlier in the week and made arrangements to drop the truck off and have the work done. Spoke again about the TQ switch and they assured me they would be able to do it. Asked me to provide the switch though. I said I would mount the switch where I wanted it and they would just need to run the wires. Got two calls yesterday after dropping the truck off. One reported "we were able to get a larger cooler in, but the torque converter switch only works for 1994 to 1997". I explained that I didn't believe that was correct and asked him to look at the write up from Guzzle I had in the truck. Got another call reporting the the TQ switch just wasn't going to work and I said fine "If you don't know what you are doing, then don't do it." I will pick up the truck after work.

Got delayed at work and wasn't going to be able to be off when I expected. Did get a 15 minute break and went to just pay for the truck and would pick it up later. Got there and found out that instead of ADDING an axillary cooler as I had asked, they REPLACED my cooler. The new one is in front of the radiator but I am not sure I like how they mounted it. Looks like fasteners go through the cooler and radiator and no supports from anything else. Should have waited and done it at home, but now what do I do? I want to just tell them to put the truck back to the way it was before and forget about the axillary cooler, I defiantly will not have them touch anything else for the TQ mod.

Rod

Old 08-23-2008, 09:02 AM
danskool
Go Bills !
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Larger cooler is better than what you had. Wait till you get home and fix it up the way you want it. Make sure they gave you all the old stuff back.(cooler/mounts etc.)

4 connector plugs under the air filter. The front one is GREY the rest are black. The purple wire inside the grey connector is your TC.. UN plug grey connector and pull it out through the bottom of the truck were you can work on it. Peel back the insulation of the purple wire yellow trace and wrap the wire that your running to your cab around it and tape it back up. Run the wire into your cab. Hook that wire to one side of the toggle switch. The other side goes to ground. DONE. Flip switch. Tc lock. There are other variations but that is the simplest.and you can do in walmarts parking lot.

Old 08-23-2008, 10:37 AM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Make sure it is the 45,000 BTU cooler. They make many different models of this cooler.

Old 08-24-2008, 02:46 PM
lappir
Senior User
So I picked up the truck yesterday. Did some complaining about asking for an auxillary cooler and not a replacement and told them that if they couldn't do the work they promised then they should have not done anything, unless cleared by me. At first they didn't want to give me my original cooler back but I complained and told them then they would just have to put it back on and take theirs and put it back on the shelf or .......
Got my old cooler back and gave the mechanic his cost for the cooler and a few bucks for putting it on. Will not recommend or retrun to the Transmission shop in Orem, Utah.

Have a couple questions about the mounting though. The cooler is mounted with plastic fasteners through the A/C condenser. Will that cause a problem in the future? It covers almost the bottom third of the condenser. I still have real cold A/C (luckily I have the heater mod already done.) I will try to post a couple photos here but if not I will add a link to my youtube or facebook page.

Thanks in advance for opinions or comments.

Rod

http://www.facebook.com/p.php?i=1099...3X5M5AC1YGXYSS

Last edited by lappir; 08-24-2008 at 03:07 PM. Reason: add link