1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Original Lock Mechanism or New Bear Claw?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 04:02 PM
Lwlandy
Tuned
Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts
Original Lock Mechanism or New Bear Claw?

Looking for some advice/thoughts on the original door locking mechanism. I am thinking of changing the door handles to something unique (Haven't decided what yet) But I was wondering if I should change the actual locking mechanism at the same time.

I have read many articles that seem to infer that the original setup is not that good? Any idea why, is it just that it is not up to modern safety standards?

Thanks
Lee

Old 08-06-2008, 08:11 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
This is one non-original mod I wish I'd made. The stock latcheson Bonus Builts' are lousy, they let the door rattle up and down. I wouldn't want to lean against them in a corner! I don't know if mid-50's are the same?

Old 08-06-2008, 09:43 PM
Blue50F-1
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I've got the originals in mine and while I wouldn't say that I HATE them, I'm definitely not happy with them. I'm constantly fighting to adjust them so that the door closes properly, and it does let them sag even when closed. Next time I go through my truck I'm completely removing the doors, hanging them to seal propperly, and then measuring and putting in bear claws (and probably the original hinges as they're good beefy hinges that just haven't been supported properly). Never mind the fact that you can't lock the diver's door except from the inside, and that's easily broken into...EASILY.

Go with the upgrade all around.

Old 08-06-2008, 09:57 PM
Brian_B
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am not sure if mine are the original style or not. I know they are new. They hold the doors tight, open and close great, and nothing rattles.

How would I know if mine are the factory style?

Old 08-06-2008, 11:07 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by Brian_B
I am not sure if mine are the original style or not. I know they are new. They hold the doors tight, open and close great, and nothing rattles.

How would I know if mine are the factory style?
They sure don't sound like them!!

Old 08-06-2008, 11:07 PM
fatfenders56
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have had both kinds and the bear jaws are worth the tbl, just my $.02

Old 08-07-2008, 02:14 AM
Lwlandy
Tuned
Thanks All,

I will look into getting some Bear Claws in that case.

Cheers
Lee

Old 08-07-2008, 02:17 AM
Brian_B
Postmaster
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
They sure don't sound like them!!
Seriously though, I am curious now that it has been brought up. Anyone have a pic of either the stock ones of the bear claw ones?

I would like to know for sure. I mean they work great, but...I still would like to know.

On the door, there is like a 6 (???) sided star thing that slides into the lock part on the cab.

Old 08-07-2008, 02:25 AM
Lwlandy
Tuned
Seriously though, I am curious now that it has been brought up. Anyone have a pic of either the stock ones of the bear claw ones?

I would like to know for sure. I mean they work great, but...I still would like to know.

On the door, there is like a 6 (???) sided star thing that slides into the lock part on the cab.
Thats the original you have Brian,

A Bear claw has a single Pin that enters a claw type mechanism hense the name.

Cheers
Lee

Old 08-07-2008, 02:27 AM
Brian_B
Postmaster
Thank you very much. Now I know.

The PO replaced all sorts of little (expensive) stuff on this truck. Thanks Jim!

Old 08-07-2008, 07:42 AM
xfordman
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thank you very much. Now I know.

The PO replaced all sorts of little (expensive) stuff on this truck. Thanks Jim!

Old 08-07-2008, 07:52 AM
skuzzel_butt
Junior User
Lee,
I replaced my star latches with a set of bear claw latches from mid-fifty. They are called Altmans easy latch and are on page 85 of there catalog. Very easy to install, and was the first mod I made after I almost lost my dad going around a turn.

good luck
Joe

Old 08-07-2008, 08:38 AM
Brian_B
Postmaster
Mine do not need to be replaced. They are almost new and work very well for now.

Old 08-07-2008, 09:04 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Mine do not need to be replaced. They are almost new and work very well for now.
Those are real different than the Bonus Built type. BB's have a plate in the jam with three progressively tighter ramps. There is a spring-loaded bolt (like on a house door) in the door that clicks behind the ramps, kind of hard to describe. there is nothing to prevent up/down movement of the spring-loaded door bolt, it only keeps the door from moving outwards.

Old 08-07-2008, 09:46 AM
Blue50F-1
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
Those are real different than the Bonus Built type. BB's have a plate in the jam with three progressively tighter ramps. There is a spring-loaded bolt (like on a house door) in the door that clicks behind the ramps, kind of hard to describe. there is nothing to prevent up/down movement of the spring-loaded door bolt, it only keeps the door from moving outwards.

That's what I have and I don't think you could describe them any better than that. Apparently Brain's are a later generation latch system. Unfortunately for us, that means more work and trouble to upgrade than he has to deal with. ahhvell.

Quick Reply: Original Lock Mechanism or New Bear Claw?