Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

My new 6.7 is burning oil !!! Very disappointed.

Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My new 6.7 is burning oil !!! Very disappointed.

 
  #61  
Old 08-21-2008, 06:26 AM
cgl
cgl is offline
Posting Guru
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: NorCal
Posts: 1,345
cgl is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by parkland View Post
Ford is slowly turning die-hard diesel power truck enthusiasts into science nerds.
You say that like it's a bad thing?! Long gone are the times of simple mechanics. I wouldn't go as far as science nerds, but at least Ford likes their owners to be educated!! Well... for the most part...
 
  #62  
Old 08-21-2008, 10:37 AM
IABill's Avatar
IABill
IABill is offline
Elder User
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Cumming, Iowa
Posts: 517
IABill is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.IABill is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Question

Anybody know at what temp the urea & water mixture will freeze?????
 
  #63  
Old 08-21-2008, 11:00 AM
PowerStrokeHD
PowerStrokeHD is offline
Postmaster
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,829
PowerStrokeHD is a splendid one to beholdPowerStrokeHD is a splendid one to beholdPowerStrokeHD is a splendid one to beholdPowerStrokeHD is a splendid one to beholdPowerStrokeHD is a splendid one to beholdPowerStrokeHD is a splendid one to beholdPowerStrokeHD is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by IABill View Post
Anybody know at what temp the urea & water mixture will freeze?????
DEF really does not freeze but turns into a slushy consistency at 12 F.
 
  #64  
Old 08-21-2008, 11:15 PM
duramaximizer
duramaximizer is offline
Posting Guru
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,079
duramaximizer is new and has a neutral reputation at this point.
Originally Posted by parkland View Post
Ford is slowly turning die-hard diesel power truck enthusiasts into science nerds.

Dad always said, "If you can't beat'em, join'em."

Do whatcha gotta do.


 
  #65  
Old 08-21-2008, 11:39 PM
parkland
parkland is offline
Post Fiend
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 6,180
parkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by cgl View Post
You say that like it's a bad thing?! Long gone are the times of simple mechanics. I wouldn't go as far as science nerds, but at least Ford likes their owners to be educated!! Well... for the most part...
\

No auto company wants well educated customers, they want suckers to buy new trucks that get 10 MPG.

While this definitely isn't fords fault, Long gone are the times of simple mechanics is right.

I still find guys that offer to help someone fix there car, and once the hood gets popped, their like "Oh, you have one of those new EFI setups... you better take it to the garage."

If the 6.7 gets **** poor mileage like the 6.4, it will be harder yet to override the emissions system, cause the computer measures the EGT's, temps' etc and can sense if urea isnt being burned, and will put the engine into limp mode as a penalty to the driver. It is possible to say yet, but performance modules for the 6.7 may come as a complete drop in replacemnt for the original PCM. I really don't think the EPA or govt will allow loopholes for programmers etc to be able to disable the emmission crap, its getting too serious now to imagine them leaving a possibility as such.

Diesels have 2 more dangerous emissions, Nox and soot. The DPF resolves the soot problem, and the urea will reduce the Nox problem. Problem is, IMHO that the urea will reduce combustion temps and cause the regen cycle to drag on for longer yet, as well as the pain of extra maintenance associated with urea, it gets -40 here and urea wont be flowing to quickly.......do you think people will spend money fixing or upgrading the urea system, or mod their truck and rid it of all the emissions BS????

I dont mean to be nagative here, but it just seems that this is where its going...
 
  #66  
Old 08-22-2008, 12:42 PM
rollerstud98's Avatar
rollerstud98
rollerstud98 is offline
Postmaster
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Airdrie Alberta
Posts: 4,745
rollerstud98 has much to be proud ofrollerstud98 has much to be proud ofrollerstud98 has much to be proud ofrollerstud98 has much to be proud ofrollerstud98 has much to be proud ofrollerstud98 has much to be proud ofrollerstud98 has much to be proud ofrollerstud98 has much to be proud ofrollerstud98 has much to be proud ofrollerstud98 has much to be proud of
I used to be like that with the EFI until i tore one apart and just went at it, still very simple stuff, even my diesel once I get working on it is no problem. I just don't have the space to do some of the things or the proper tools otherwise I'd be doing everything to my truck, instead of paying somebody to do it
 
  #67  
Old 08-22-2008, 07:11 PM
Lead Head
Lead Head is offline
Post Fiend
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 7,857
Lead Head is a name known to allLead Head is a name known to allLead Head is a name known to allLead Head is a name known to allLead Head is a name known to allLead Head is a name known to all
Originally Posted by parkland View Post
\

No auto company wants well educated customers, they want suckers to buy new trucks that get 10 MPG.

While this definitely isn't fords fault, Long gone are the times of simple mechanics is right.

I still find guys that offer to help someone fix there car, and once the hood gets popped, their like "Oh, you have one of those new EFI setups... you better take it to the garage."

If the 6.7 gets **** poor mileage like the 6.4, it will be harder yet to override the emissions system, cause the computer measures the EGT's, temps' etc and can sense if urea isnt being burned, and will put the engine into limp mode as a penalty to the driver. It is possible to say yet, but performance modules for the 6.7 may come as a complete drop in replacemnt for the original PCM. I really don't think the EPA or govt will allow loopholes for programmers etc to be able to disable the emmission crap, its getting too serious now to imagine them leaving a possibility as such.

Diesels have 2 more dangerous emissions, Nox and soot. The DPF resolves the soot problem, and the urea will reduce the Nox problem. Problem is, IMHO that the urea will reduce combustion temps and cause the regen cycle to drag on for longer yet, as well as the pain of extra maintenance associated with urea, it gets -40 here and urea wont be flowing to quickly.......do you think people will spend money fixing or upgrading the urea system, or mod their truck and rid it of all the emissions BS????

I dont mean to be nagative here, but it just seems that this is where its going...
I could have sworn urea was injected straight into the exhaust, and not into the engine? So there is no way it can reduce combustion temps. Anyways, the 6.4 ALREADY HAS an EGT sensor, various other temperature sensors, and pressure sensors.

There is no way you can completely lock out the PCM, because updates still need to made to optimize and perfect the exhaust system. That means as long as ford can tweak settings at a later date, so you can you.
 
  #68  
Old 08-23-2008, 04:13 PM
parkland
parkland is offline
Post Fiend
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 6,180
parkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Lead Head View Post
I could have sworn urea was injected straight into the exhaust, and not into the engine? So there is no way it can reduce combustion temps. Anyways, the 6.4 ALREADY HAS an EGT sensor, various other temperature sensors, and pressure sensors.

There is no way you can completely lock out the PCM, because updates still need to made to optimize and perfect the exhaust system. That means as long as ford can tweak settings at a later date, so you can you.

I didnt realize the urea was injected into the exhaust...

I have a feeling though, that it may be getting more and more difficult to mod the newer trucks.... and possibly more testing too, to see it you pass emission regs.
 
  #69  
Old 08-24-2008, 08:54 AM
origcharger
origcharger is offline
Posting Guru
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,096
origcharger has a good reputation on FTE.origcharger has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by parkland View Post
I didnt realize the urea was injected into the exhaust...

I have a feeling though, that it may be getting more and more difficult to mod the newer trucks.... and possibly more testing too, to see it you pass emission regs.

Basically there are two 2010 emission strategys;

1. Use more EGR and keep the engine from creating the NOX.

2. Inject urea into the exhaust stream to break down the NOX after its been created.
 
  #70  
Old 08-30-2008, 07:18 PM
Passin Thru
Passin Thru is offline
Senior User
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 248
Passin Thru is starting off with a positive reputation.
Well, you can buy a CAT in a 450 now. Don't know about 350 but I do know it's afuel ho. Same as the V 8 boat motor.
 
  #71  
Old 08-30-2008, 10:49 PM
a-rod's Avatar
a-rod
a-rod is offline
Posting Guru
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 1,459
a-rod is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.a-rod is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Passin Thru View Post
Well, you can buy a CAT in a 450 now. Don't know about 350 but I do know it's afuel ho. Same as the V 8 boat motor.

Umm no! You can only get the cat in the big 650 or 750 trucks.
 
  #72  
Old 08-30-2008, 11:16 PM
parkland
parkland is offline
Post Fiend
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 6,180
parkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by a-rod View Post
Umm no! You can only get the cat in the big 650 or 750 trucks.
Correct, the only engine ever available in the pickup body/frame was the 6.9/ 7.3 / 6.0/ 6.4 .

The 650's and larger had a choice of 7.3, cummins 5.9 , or cat 7.2 .
 
  #73  
Old 08-31-2008, 10:00 AM
PowerStrokeHD
PowerStrokeHD is offline
Postmaster
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,829
PowerStrokeHD is a splendid one to beholdPowerStrokeHD is a splendid one to beholdPowerStrokeHD is a splendid one to beholdPowerStrokeHD is a splendid one to beholdPowerStrokeHD is a splendid one to beholdPowerStrokeHD is a splendid one to beholdPowerStrokeHD is a splendid one to behold
Actually you can not get the CAT in in the F-650/750 at this time either. Ford issued a stop build on the CAT's a couple of weeks ago due to emissions/regeneration issues. The only engine offering for the F-650/750 at this time is Cummins and will more than likely stay that way for a while.
 
  #74  
Old 08-31-2008, 10:37 AM
a-rod's Avatar
a-rod
a-rod is offline
Posting Guru
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 1,459
a-rod is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.a-rod is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by PowerStrokeHD View Post
Actually you can not get the CAT in in the F-650/750 at this time either. Ford issued a stop build on the CAT's a couple of weeks ago due to emissions/regeneration issues. The only engine offering for the F-650/750 at this time is Cummins and will more than likely stay that way for a while.
Good to know Thanks.
 
  #75  
Old 08-31-2008, 06:03 PM
MisterCMK's Avatar
MisterCMK
MisterCMK is offline
Avid Winter Hater
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Rogers, MN
Posts: 24,096
MisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputation
hahaha, I gotta say parkland, that was a good one. I repped ya for it
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My new 6.7 is burning oil !!! Very disappointed.


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: