6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

My new 6.7 is burning oil !!! Very disappointed.

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 06:26 AM
cgl
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by parkland
Ford is slowly turning die-hard diesel power truck enthusiasts into science nerds.
You say that like it's a bad thing?! Long gone are the times of simple mechanics. I wouldn't go as far as science nerds, but at least Ford likes their owners to be educated!! Well... for the most part...

Old 08-21-2008, 10:37 AM
IABill
More Turbo
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Question

Anybody know at what temp the urea & water mixture will freeze?????

Old 08-21-2008, 11:00 AM
PowerStrokeHD
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by IABill
Anybody know at what temp the urea & water mixture will freeze?????
DEF really does not freeze but turns into a slushy consistency at 12 F.

Old 08-21-2008, 11:15 PM
duramaximizer
Posting Guru
Ford is slowly turning die-hard diesel power truck enthusiasts into science nerds.

Dad always said, "If you can't beat'em, join'em."

Do whatcha gotta do.

Old 08-21-2008, 11:39 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cgl
You say that like it's a bad thing?! Long gone are the times of simple mechanics. I wouldn't go as far as science nerds, but at least Ford likes their owners to be educated!! Well... for the most part...
\

No auto company wants well educated customers, they want suckers to buy new trucks that get 10 MPG.

While this definitely isn't fords fault, Long gone are the times of simple mechanics is right.

I still find guys that offer to help someone fix there car, and once the hood gets popped, their like "Oh, you have one of those new EFI setups... you better take it to the garage."

If the 6.7 gets **** poor mileage like the 6.4, it will be harder yet to override the emissions system, cause the computer measures the EGT's, temps' etc and can sense if urea isnt being burned, and will put the engine into limp mode as a penalty to the driver. It is possible to say yet, but performance modules for the 6.7 may come as a complete drop in replacemnt for the original PCM. I really don't think the EPA or govt will allow loopholes for programmers etc to be able to disable the emmission crap, its getting too serious now to imagine them leaving a possibility as such.

Diesels have 2 more dangerous emissions, Nox and soot. The DPF resolves the soot problem, and the urea will reduce the Nox problem. Problem is, IMHO that the urea will reduce combustion temps and cause the regen cycle to drag on for longer yet, as well as the pain of extra maintenance associated with urea, it gets -40 here and urea wont be flowing to quickly.......do you think people will spend money fixing or upgrading the urea system, or mod their truck and rid it of all the emissions BS????

I dont mean to be nagative here, but it just seems that this is where its going...

Old 08-22-2008, 12:42 PM
rollerstud98
Postmaster

I used to be like that with the EFI until i tore one apart and just went at it, still very simple stuff, even my diesel once I get working on it is no problem. I just don't have the space to do some of the things or the proper tools otherwise I'd be doing everything to my truck, instead of paying somebody to do it

Old 08-22-2008, 07:11 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
\

No auto company wants well educated customers, they want suckers to buy new trucks that get 10 MPG.

While this definitely isn't fords fault, Long gone are the times of simple mechanics is right.

I still find guys that offer to help someone fix there car, and once the hood gets popped, their like "Oh, you have one of those new EFI setups... you better take it to the garage."

If the 6.7 gets **** poor mileage like the 6.4, it will be harder yet to override the emissions system, cause the computer measures the EGT's, temps' etc and can sense if urea isnt being burned, and will put the engine into limp mode as a penalty to the driver. It is possible to say yet, but performance modules for the 6.7 may come as a complete drop in replacemnt for the original PCM. I really don't think the EPA or govt will allow loopholes for programmers etc to be able to disable the emmission crap, its getting too serious now to imagine them leaving a possibility as such.

Diesels have 2 more dangerous emissions, Nox and soot. The DPF resolves the soot problem, and the urea will reduce the Nox problem. Problem is, IMHO that the urea will reduce combustion temps and cause the regen cycle to drag on for longer yet, as well as the pain of extra maintenance associated with urea, it gets -40 here and urea wont be flowing to quickly.......do you think people will spend money fixing or upgrading the urea system, or mod their truck and rid it of all the emissions BS????

I dont mean to be nagative here, but it just seems that this is where its going...
I could have sworn urea was injected straight into the exhaust, and not into the engine? So there is no way it can reduce combustion temps. Anyways, the 6.4 ALREADY HAS an EGT sensor, various other temperature sensors, and pressure sensors.

There is no way you can completely lock out the PCM, because updates still need to made to optimize and perfect the exhaust system. That means as long as ford can tweak settings at a later date, so you can you.

Old 08-23-2008, 04:13 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Lead Head
I could have sworn urea was injected straight into the exhaust, and not into the engine? So there is no way it can reduce combustion temps. Anyways, the 6.4 ALREADY HAS an EGT sensor, various other temperature sensors, and pressure sensors.

There is no way you can completely lock out the PCM, because updates still need to made to optimize and perfect the exhaust system. That means as long as ford can tweak settings at a later date, so you can you.

I didnt realize the urea was injected into the exhaust...

I have a feeling though, that it may be getting more and more difficult to mod the newer trucks.... and possibly more testing too, to see it you pass emission regs.

Old 08-24-2008, 08:54 AM
origcharger
Posting Guru
I didnt realize the urea was injected into the exhaust...

I have a feeling though, that it may be getting more and more difficult to mod the newer trucks.... and possibly more testing too, to see it you pass emission regs.

Basically there are two 2010 emission strategys;

1. Use more EGR and keep the engine from creating the NOX.

2. Inject urea into the exhaust stream to break down the NOX after its been created.

Old 08-30-2008, 07:18 PM
Passin Thru
Senior User
Well, you can buy a CAT in a 450 now. Don't know about 350 but I do know it's afuel ho. Same as the V 8 boat motor.

Old 08-30-2008, 10:49 PM
a-rod
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Passin Thru
Well, you can buy a CAT in a 450 now. Don't know about 350 but I do know it's afuel ho. Same as the V 8 boat motor.

Umm no! You can only get the cat in the big 650 or 750 trucks.

Old 08-30-2008, 11:16 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by a-rod
Umm no! You can only get the cat in the big 650 or 750 trucks.
Correct, the only engine ever available in the pickup body/frame was the 6.9/ 7.3 / 6.0/ 6.4 .

The 650's and larger had a choice of 7.3, cummins 5.9 , or cat 7.2 .

Old 08-31-2008, 10:00 AM
PowerStrokeHD
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Actually you can not get the CAT in in the F-650/750 at this time either. Ford issued a stop build on the CAT's a couple of weeks ago due to emissions/regeneration issues. The only engine offering for the F-650/750 at this time is Cummins and will more than likely stay that way for a while.

Old 08-31-2008, 10:37 AM
a-rod
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by PowerStrokeHD
Actually you can not get the CAT in in the F-650/750 at this time either. Ford issued a stop build on the CAT's a couple of weeks ago due to emissions/regeneration issues. The only engine offering for the F-650/750 at this time is Cummins and will more than likely stay that way for a while.
Good to know Thanks.

Old 08-31-2008, 06:03 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
hahaha, I gotta say parkland, that was a good one. I repped ya for it

Quick Reply: My new 6.7 is burning oil !!! Very disappointed.