Bed Covers, Tonneau covers, Toppers/Canopies & Bed liners Tonneau cover, caps, racks, canopies, shells, etc.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 11-20-2014, 05:29 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

Opinions on roll top tonneau covers

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 10:37 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Opinions on roll top tonneau covers

This summer with me using my truck as a work truck quite often, I'm finding that my fiberglass bed cover gets in the way. It's been a great cover, looks awesome, but now that I'm hauling some equipment in the bed, it's just more cumbersome now than it ever used to be.

What I'm looking at now is a retractable bed cover. I absolutely do not want vinyl, or vinyl covered aluminum. The two brands I'm eyeing are Retrax (RETRAX truck bed cover pickup bed cover tonneau cover roll top cover) and Peragon (Peragon Retractable Truck Bed Covers: Aluminum, Powder Coated, Key Locking, All-Weather, Quality Truck Bed Tonneau Cover). Both are a little different. Retrax is made of Lexan, and the Peragon is all aluminum. Also the Retrax rolls into a box, where the Peragon folds accordian style.

The two benefits I see of the Peragon are that it's super lightweight, and can be completely removed from the bed in a few seconds. Also, it's on sale (until the end of the day today), so it's cheaper than the Retrax.

The Retrax also looks nice because it's Lexan, so it won't become damaged like aluminum. Also it seems that snow and ice really doesn't affect it, where an aluminum cover might get a little stiff at times.

Anyway, just looking for suggestions/opinions/experiences from everyone.

Thanks.

Old 08-04-2008, 11:04 AM
dcwhipple
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a tri-fold. Very light (can carry in one hand). Main reasons I got it...no instillation/drilling, just clips on (it's on SOLID!)...can completely take off for best flexability of loading bed...no plans for putting in stacks.

Old 08-04-2008, 11:49 AM
RAMPAGE_F350
Posting Guru
I have a Roll N Lock, I'm very happy with it and is very durable.

Old 08-04-2008, 01:20 PM
DCSpecial
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used to have a Retrax on my 01 (custom made to fit with my toolbox....no longer on the truck since I put the toolbox on my 07) and we put a Retrax on my Dad's 05 F-150 Supercrew.

Great covers, very happy with them.

Old 08-04-2008, 04:35 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by DCSpecial
I used to have a Retrax on my 01 (custom made to fit with my toolbox....no longer on the truck since I put the toolbox on my 07) and we put a Retrax on my Dad's 05 F-150 Supercrew.

Great covers, very happy with them.
Dan, do you think there would be any issue with snow or ice getting into the roll box?

That was one thing I was considering about the Peragon is that there is no box for it to roll up into, so less chance of something breaking or causing an issue down the road (especially in the snow).

Old 08-04-2008, 08:34 PM
DCSpecial
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nope, the cansiter has two drain holes. They give you some hose and you put a hole through the rubber plugs that are in the front wall of the bed for any water to drain out of outside of the bed.

My dad drive's his truck year round and has never had a problem with it.

I'm considering buying another one now that I no longer have the toolbox on my 01 .

FYI, you can see if they have blems. The one I bought for my 01 was a blem. Saved some coin and couldn't tell that anything was wrong with it:

Old 08-05-2008, 09:37 PM
novice psd
Senior User
I have problems with leaves getting in roll box and stopping up drain hoses. My cover is aluminum and is secure with a tailgate lock. You lose a little of the bed as the roll box hangs down about 12" or so. It is stong enough to stand on, advertised to support 400lbs. RollBak Hard Aluminum Retracting Tonneau Truck Bed Covers By Bak