Arkansas Chapter Join Chapter Leader: Kramercd

Update: The patient is doing good!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 04:20 PM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
Update: The patient is doing good!

Hi folks, just thought I would give everyone an update on Donna's progress. After one week of radiation therapy and the start of chemo today, she is doing well. Only time will tell how effective the treatments will be. Dr. told her that the mixture of chemo drugs will definately cause her hair to fall out. She has already found a wig that closely matches her hair since she had it cut short.
The radiation therapy will continue for 6 1/2 weeks daily, the chemo will be every 2 weeks initially and maybe every 3 weeks after the radiation is over, this will last for 6 months. I hope that the drugs don't make her too ill for us to be able to attend the GTG in Sept.
Now that things are finally moving along, maybe I can get my head screwed back on straight, this has been the most disturbing thing that I have ever had to deal with.
Thanks to all, Jeff & Donna

Old 07-22-2008, 06:31 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
To be honest with you Jeff, I think it will be 6 1/2 weeks to 6 months before you even begin to get your head screwed on straight....but nobody will fault you for that.

I'm excited to hear that Donna's treatment has had a promising beginning. All our hopes are that she continues to respond well.

Are you/she staying in Little Rock for the next month and a half or are you commuting daily? Or is the treatment being applied at a local hospital? Feel free to not answer if I'm asking for TMI.

Old 07-22-2008, 06:44 PM
SUPERDUTY_untouchabl
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Of course he is going to answer he is to scared of your avatar to not answer....

Old 07-22-2008, 07:43 PM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by SUPERDUTY_untouchabl
Of course he is going to answer he is to scared of your avatar to not answer....
Yeah he does sort of look like a hoodlum in that pic, but I've been around him enough to think he's harmless
Scott, we are lucky enough to have one of the best chemo Drs from LR that comes down here every 2 weeks to do treatments for local patients. As long as Donna is on radiation therapy, the chemo will be on a 2 week schedule, but may change to a 3 week after that. But that will only mean a trip to LR every 6 weeks. Right now it is a blessing, but if it required a trip every week, that's where we would go.
Also, the radiation clinic is local, the only one in south AR.

Old 07-22-2008, 08:55 PM
Brian_B
Postmaster
Glad to hear things are starting off well. Keep us updated.

Oh...E-mail me when you are going to hvae to be in L.R. I have to go down there every couple of weeks. It might be that the days might accidentaly co-inside (same day) and I could meet the two fo you for a few minutes (assuming Donna is up to it).

Old 07-22-2008, 09:30 PM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Brian, unless something changes, we won't have to go back to LR for 1-1/2 to 2 months. When Donna is finished with the radiation therapy it will be time for more CT scans to see if the treatment is being effective. But, you never know what will come up, will let you know when we do.

Old 07-22-2008, 09:48 PM
Brian_B
Postmaster
That sounds like a good thing. Not having to be up there all the time. I go about once a week. Sometimes every two weeks. Not sure how long the doctors check ups will last down there.

I was in baptist again for 6 days a couple of weeks ago and then was home bound for 6 more. It is annoying for sure.

I want to go to Miami, OK this Saturday, but have to come back quick. I have to be in L.R. again Monday morning.

Old 07-23-2008, 09:41 AM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mechmagcn
But that will only mean a trip to LR every 6 weeks. Right now it is a blessing
Sure is. Good news.

Old 07-24-2008, 11:48 PM
tojoski
Posting Guru
Dr. told her that the mixture of chemo drugs will definately cause her hair to fall out
Hair is over-rated

It's good to hear that things are going well. Have the treatments thus far made her ill?

Old 07-25-2008, 11:47 AM
mudder460
Posting Guru
glad to hear Donna is doing good. I still wish you guys the best. I just hope she doesn't get too sick from the meds.

Old 07-25-2008, 12:09 PM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
So far, the meds haven't made her sick at all. Hopefully it will stay that way.

Old 07-25-2008, 12:15 PM
Brian_B
Postmaster
Thats a really good thing to hear. Wonderful.

Old 07-26-2008, 10:01 PM
lucky no. 7
Senior User
i'm kinda going through the same thing, my wife had a stroke two weeks ago, 23 years old, she's slowly getting better with movement on her right side, but it will be a long process just like yours, chemo aint no joke, but sharing an illness is a hard time, i spent 15 months in iraq and it wasnt as hard as watching your wife pee the bed without knowing, or having to feed her because she caint,

Old 07-27-2008, 11:28 AM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
David, that is terrible news, we will be praying for a speedy recovery for your wife and also for you to keep your head up. 23 years old, that is too young to have such serious health problems. It seems though that no matter how bad we think our situation is, all we have to do is look around to see that many others have much worse problems than ours.
Keep us informed and don't give up, Jeff & Donna