HHO experience w/ a 6.0L F350 or a 5.0L explorer

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 09:17 PM
18vtx00
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Question HHO experience w/ a 6.0L F350 or a 5.0L explorer

I posted this in my diesel section w/ no reply's before finding this forum.
I have been experimenting w/ making my own HHO generators this week and would like to know if there is any knowledge out there about using these on my 6.0L..
Any faults or things you may do differently to save me time,money and aggravation is greatly appreciated. thanks

Old 08-05-2008, 04:07 PM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 873 Likes on 725 Posts
Yeah, don't waste your time.

It cannot work. Why? The Laws of Thermodynamics haven't' been repealed yet...

Same junk was around in the 70's.

The only way it can "work" (note the emphasis) is to screw with either your MAF or your upstream O2 sensors to force the mixture far leaner than the engine was designed for.

Your stated experience as a mechanic should be able to provide the answer to the following question:

"What happens to an ICE (whether gas or diesel) from running lean for too long?"

Old 08-05-2008, 04:51 PM
18vtx00
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by projectSHO89
Yeah, don't waste your time.

It cannot work. Why? The Laws of Thermodynamics haven't' been repealed yet...

Same junk was around in the 70's.

The only way it can "work" (note the emphasis) is to screw with either your MAF or your upstream O2 sensors to force the mixture far leaner than the engine was designed for.

Your stated experience as a mechanic should be able to provide the answer to the following question:

"What happens to an ICE (whether gas or diesel) from running lean for too long?"
Really, seems like a lot of guys are getting good results after may attempts.I understand the fooling of the PCM is essential and is not that hard to do, I just wanted some input.. thanks

Old 08-05-2008, 05:57 PM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
I see you studiously avoided answering the question posed that would have exposed the flaw in your plan or in the reported "success" of others

We're still waiting....

Old 08-05-2008, 08:08 PM
18vtx00
Fleet Mechanic
I see you studiously avoided answering the question posed that would have exposed the flaw in your plan or in the reported "success" of others

We're still waiting....
I am just looking for info and experience, that's all. Not sure I avoided anything.

Old 08-05-2008, 10:43 PM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Originally Posted by 18vtx00
I am just looking for info and experience, that's all. Not sure I avoided anything.
The question is really simple and is above.

Still no answer? Hmmmm......

Old 08-05-2008, 11:11 PM
18vtx00
Fleet Mechanic
The question is really simple and is above.

Still no answer? Hmmmm......
It appears not too many FTE guys have tried anything on their own. Kinda surprised since most diesel guys try anything to get .5MPG or MPH.
I answer a lot of questions in my diesel forums and help guys out all the time, first time over hear and trying something new. Making HHO is a new experience.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:51 AM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
You still haven't answered the question:

Old 08-06-2008, 10:30 AM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
While this whole HHO, Brown's gas, water4gas, or whatever you want to call it is a scam and cant work, diesel engines run very lean most of the time, one of the many reasons they are more efficient. So, what is the problem with running lean for too long?

Unlike a spark ignition engine with a throttle, diesels always take in a full air charge with each intake stroke and vary the power output by regulating fuel flow. The latest direct injection gasoline engines, on some VW/Audi and Lexus, and was used on some large aircraft engines in the 1950's also allows for super lean mixtures. "Leaner is hotter" is a myth borne of 1960's attempts at crude emission controls with fixed jet carburators, going from way rich to slightly rich, which is hottest. Airlines and the military found that leaner is cooler, and cleaner, decades ago.

Jim

Old 08-06-2008, 01:17 PM
18vtx00
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by jimandmandy
While this whole HHO, Brown's gas, water4gas, or whatever you want to call it is a scam and cant work, diesel engines run very lean most of the time, one of the many reasons they are more efficient. So, what is the problem with running lean for too long?

Unlike a spark ignition engine with a throttle, diesels always take in a full air charge with each intake stroke and vary the power output by regulating fuel flow. The latest direct injection gasoline engines, on some VW/Audi and Lexus, and was used on some large aircraft engines in the 1950's also allows for super lean mixtures. "Leaner is hotter" is a myth borne of 1960's attempts at crude emission controls with fixed jet carburators, going from way rich to slightly rich, which is hottest. Airlines and the military found that leaner is cooler, and cleaner, decades ago.

Jim
I asked several kit makers this same question, will it run away since you have almost no vacuum in a modern diesel due to the lack of a throttle plate, and they insist it will work. Also how would you possibly cut down on fuel? They insist it works just by installing HHO in the air intake tube.
For these reasons I am not working this into my diesel, just seeking info from others.,I will make a kit for my 5.0L explorer as a test vehicle.. thanks for the info.

Old 08-06-2008, 11:21 PM
Hathor
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 18vtx00
I posted this in my diesel section w/ no reply's before finding this forum.
I have been experimenting w/ making my own HHO generators this week and would like to know if there is any knowledge out there about using these on my 6.0L..
Any faults or things you may do differently to save me time,money and aggravation is greatly appreciated. thanks
Yes there is a company that makes a HHO generator for trucks 6.0 and 8.0.

I really dont want to give this company business by giving you a link.

this system contains water filters of which gives pure hydrogen gas.

The other hho generators make gas but it has a lot of moisture in it

Old 08-06-2008, 11:23 PM
Hathor
Freshman User

We're still waiting....
OK FINE EVERBODY GO HERE AND AVOID THE QUESTION

MagDrive Fuel From H2O - HHO Generators

Old 08-07-2008, 07:34 AM
18vtx00
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Hathor
OK FINE EVERBODY GO HERE AND AVOID THE QUESTION

MagDrive Fuel From H2O - HHO Generators
Thanks for the info, why would you not want to send a link? Have you tried any of these?

Old 09-05-2008, 05:34 PM
zpexploder
New User
Talking HHO & My 5.0 Explorer!

I use HHO and a MAF sensor enhancer on my '96 5.0 Explorer. Works great, could not be happier. Hooking up a MAP/MAF sensor enhancer is too easy and works even better. My increase is from 18 mpg to 24 mpg. No joke!

Not huge but pretty good for AWD V8. I actually build MAP/MAF sensor enhancers now. Check em out if you need one. ************.com

Old 09-05-2008, 06:52 PM
18vtx00
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by zpexploder
I use HHO and a MAF sensor enhancer on my '96 5.0 Explorer. Works great, could not be happier. Hooking up a MAP/MAF sensor enhancer is too easy and works even better. My increase is from 18 mpg to 24 mpg. No joke!

Not huge but pretty good for AWD V8. I actually build MAP/MAF sensor enhancers now. Check em out if you need one. ************.com

I would be happy w/ the 18MPG you claim as stock!! Got any pics of how you attached you kit? Thanks

Quick Reply: HHO experience w/ a 6.0L F350 or a 5.0L explorer