Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 02:03 PM
_Rick_
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New Whipple EFI unit question ('02 V10)

Hi again Folks.
Original issues: (thread1) (thread2)

I ended up purchasing a new EFI/ unit through Whipple (over $610.00 CDN). Here's a cut and paiste from an E-Mail to them to save retyping. This is not ment to dump on Whipple. I'm just trying to figure out what the problem might be with the new EFI or if it might be something else causing the issue.

quote...
When I plug the new EFI in and turn the key to the on position it doesn't even seem to get through the test phase. The light comes on and stays on. It doesn't turn on then off then on as the old one does. When I start the Truck the light does turn off.
end quote...

My Question is:
Shouldn't the new EFI MIL run through a diagnostics by turning ON then OFF then ON when the key is in the RUN possition,,, then OFF when engine is running?

Thanks,
Rick...

Old 08-06-2008, 05:17 PM
meanv10
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey there is a user named joey2000 in the v10 forum, sounds like he has run into similar problems might want to give it a look.

Old 08-07-2008, 12:16 PM
_Rick_
Elder User
Thanks for the heads-up Meanv10.

I had gone through that thread some time back. Atleast he got his working finally. I'm still only seeing 2 lbs boost and the new Whipple ECU ($600.00 CDN with shipping) won't get through the test at start-up which I was told was normal for the Whipple EFI/MIL.

Rick

Originally Posted by meanv10
hey there is a user named joey2000 in the v10 forum, sounds like he has run into similar problems might want to give it a look.

Old 09-01-2008, 08:44 AM
Skoda
Elder User
Hey Rick
Do you have a boost gauge attached to indicate that your only getting 2 psi of boost?

Are you still getting only 2psi of boost after the new efi they sent you?

you wouldn't happen to have the installation pdf for your whipple system would you?

Old 09-01-2008, 01:17 PM
_Rick_
Elder User
Skoda,

Yup, still only 2psi and I've gone through three gauges including the original that was in the Truck when I purchased it. The 2 new gauges I purchased and installed were a (just in case/you never know scenario) but still only 2psi.

I do happen to have a copy of the '98 to '03 Ford 6.8L Lysholm 2300 Manual (Last Updated: 8/26/2004). I can sell you a copy for $599.99 CDN including shipping.

Rick...

Originally Posted by Skoda
Hey Rick
Do you have a boost gauge attached to indicate that your only getting 2 psi of boost?

you wouldn't happen to have the installation pdf for your whipple system would you?

Old 09-01-2008, 01:29 PM
_Rick_
Elder User
Skoda,
I can't find any direct contact info for you. Send me a PM.

Rick...

Hey Rick

Old 09-01-2008, 04:46 PM
Skoda
Elder User
Originally Posted by _Rick_
Skoda,

Yup, still only 2psi and I've gone through three gauges including the original that was in the Truck when I purchased it. The 2 new gauges I purchased and installed were a (just in case/you never know scenario) but still only 2psi.

I do happen to have a copy of the '98 to '03 Ford 6.8L Lysholm 2300 Manual (Last Updated: 8/26/2004). I can sell you a copy for $599.99 CDN including shipping.

Rick...
I think I sent across the wrong message, I was asking for your manual to see what and were certain compents are located in your installation to some what point you in the right direction of what might be the problem.

Old 09-02-2008, 03:38 AM
_Rick_
Elder User
Ah, my bad.

I've spend many hours with the manual following the install procedure tracing hoses and wires, resecured the BAP, checked/tested fuel pressure, replaced the Whipple EFI, replaced hoses, tested the actuator ect ect,,,

Any other ideas?

I'm still worried that the new EFI I ordered direct from Whipple is not woking properly. The Key ON / Engine OFF self test only gives a steady ON light then only after the engine is running it will turm OFF. The old EFI would show ON / OFF / ON meaning the self test passed.

I think I sent across the wrong message, I was asking for your manual to see what and were certain compents are located in your installation to some what point you in the right direction of what might be the problem.

Old 09-02-2008, 04:55 AM
Skoda
Elder User
Alright lets take this one step at a time, Do you know how to control the bypass valve? if so make it go closed at WOT in tell your desired psi. Alright next question for yea.

Did the supercharger generate the boost?

Old 09-02-2008, 05:10 AM
_Rick_
Elder User
I have run the "bypass closed" test a few times (2psi)

Have had no boost over 2psi since I purchased the truck. A couple of times I may have seen 3psi.

Alright lets take this one step at a time, Do you know how to control the bypass valve? if so make it go closed at WOT in tell your desired psi. Alright next question for yea.

Did the supercharger generate the boost?

Old 09-02-2008, 04:58 PM
Skoda
Elder User
Do you figure your getting any strange noises?
What size pullies are you running?
How does the belt look any heavy signs of slippage?
any componets covered in rubber particles?
hows the truck at idel?

Old 09-02-2008, 11:34 PM
_Rick_
Elder User
- No strange noises. The blower winds up nicely and sounds very smooth.
- The blower pulley is 3 1/2"
- I've installed a new belt, new tensioner pulley, new idler pulley. Tensioner is in good working order.
- No sign at all of any slippage or rubber particals. (the engine compartment is very well kept and clean)
- The truck idles very smooth and runs very well through all gears and speeds.

Do you figure your getting any strange noises?
What size pullies are you running? I'm old one whil
How does the belt look any heavy signs of slippage?
any componets covered in rubber particles?
hows the truck at idel?

Old 09-03-2008, 07:47 PM
Skoda
Elder User
It is now time for me to say I need the manual, You say all is in perfect working order no doubt I believe you, the thing is your supercharger can't make more then 2 psi with the bypass shut which leads my to believe there is either a leak some were, belt slipping, or the pulley it's self is set up for 2psi At this point it looks like something mechanical. I can confirm with the manual if it tells me what I need to know.

What size is the pulley on you hub/harmonic balancer?

Old 09-04-2008, 12:51 AM
_Rick_
Elder User
sent you a PM with email address for manual.

If I remember correctly the crank pulley/harmonic balancer is 7 1/2"

Whipple did say it was the correct pulley on the blower (3 1/2") to produce 5-6lbs,,, but maybe it should be a larger diameter pulley?

It is now time for me to say I need the manual, You say all is in perfect working order no doubt I believe you, the thing is your supercharger can't make more then 2 psi with the bypass shut which leads my to believe there is either a leak some were, belt slipping, or the pulley it's self is set up for 2psi At this point it looks like something mechanical. I can confirm with the manual if it tells me what I need to know.

What size is the pulley on you hub/harmonic balancer?

Old 09-04-2008, 05:01 AM
Skoda
Elder User
email sent

Quick Reply: New Whipple EFI unit question ('02 V10)