Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keep the truck? honest opinions

Old 07-29-2008, 10:06 AM
camodown
Posting Guru
camodown has a great reputation on FTE.camodown has a great reputation on FTE.camodown has a great reputation on FTE.camodown has a great reputation on FTE.camodown has a great reputation on FTE.
Keep the truck? honest opinions

Well, I just got a call that the rear end is supposedly shot on my truck and it is better to go with a junkyard rear end. I found a local one for $750 with 80,000 from a landscape truck. The mechanic who worked on the truck says with 223,000 I should trade it in... But I would take a hit $ wise and would still need a truck.

So far the truck has:
Ball joints (previous owner)
Transmission (previous owner)
alternator
serp belt
tensioner
front vacuum seals
vacuum pump
drivers unit bearing
front u joint and stub shaft
carrier bearing
pinion seal (which is junk now)
rear wheel seals
new tires
new brakes plus front calipers
parking brake shoes
power steering pump
new batteries
new radiator

I've owned the truck for a bit over a year... quite a bit to replace, total is about $4,000, so $4,800 with the used rear axle... Am I crazy? If I were to add the 4,800 to my original purchase price I could have gotten a truck with 100,000 miles but it would have unit bearings probably, new batteries, tires, brakes etc. So I'm not sure what to do... I hate being in these situations
On the bright side, most everything is replaced now

Old 07-29-2008, 10:24 AM
F350-6
Post Fiend
F350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputation
Most of the items you mention having replaced could easily fail on a 100,000 mile truck. Not very common to need a new radiator, but tires, brakes, belts, batteries have to be changed on every truck (or car) eventually.

The big question is would the next truck be any better? When you buy a used truck, you never really know how well it was maintained. We've read stories about others buying a truck only to discover in a short time that their engine is dusted, so it could be worse.

I've got 259,000 on mine now (had it since new) so your 223K doesn't scare me.

Old 07-29-2008, 10:25 AM
deereman4020
Postmaster
deereman4020 has a great reputation on FTE.deereman4020 has a great reputation on FTE.deereman4020 has a great reputation on FTE.deereman4020 has a great reputation on FTE.
what problems were you having with the truck before you took it to get fixed

Old 07-29-2008, 11:38 AM
Kwikkordead
Post Fiend
Kwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputation
You've already fixed what is wrong with the truck.
If you sell it now, the next owner will get an AWESOME deal on a used truck that they will drive for a long time!!!
Besides, the newer trucks are not any better, just newer.

Old 07-29-2008, 11:56 AM
rebelchevy02
Posting Guru
rebelchevy02 has a very good reputation on FTE.rebelchevy02 has a very good reputation on FTE.rebelchevy02 has a very good reputation on FTE.rebelchevy02 has a very good reputation on FTE.
What are they saying is "shot" in your rear end? Bearings, carriers, etc are all replaceable. I lost an outer wheel bearing, and it destroyed the spindle, so I HAD to get a new diff. Mainly because spindle replacement is possible, but near impossible to weld back on perfectly straight again. $750 for another diff, that would probably need seals/bearings soon probably isnt the best idea IMO. I would rebuild the one you have, unless youve trashed a spindle, or were thebearing races sit for the carrier. Tell us whats "shot". I think taking it to a place that can handle differential/ gear setup is probably a good idea. Alot of people are afraid to set them up.

Also, my truck only has 183k right now, but its not due for retirement untill the 300k range.

Old 07-29-2008, 12:04 PM
HKusp
Post Fiend
HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by rebelchevy02 View Post
What are they saying is "shot" in your rear end? Bearings, carriers, etc are all replaceable. I lost an outer wheel bearing, and it destroyed the spindle, so I HAD to get a new diff. Mainly because spindle replacement is possible, but near impossible to weld back on perfectly straight again. $750 for another diff, that would probably need seals/bearings soon probably isnt the best idea IMO. I would rebuild the one you have, unless youve trashed a spindle, or were thebearing races sit for the carrier. Tell us whats "shot". I think taking it to a place that can handle differential/ gear setup is probably a good idea. Alot of people are afraid to set them up.

Also, my truck only has 183k right now, but its not due for retirement untill the 300k range.
I agree with every word of this right here except for the retirement part.. Find out what is "shot" and go from there.

Old 07-29-2008, 12:23 PM
madjak
Elder User
madjak is starting off with a positive reputation.
I would definitely keep your truck and make the repairs. Diesel truck prices will start going back up as diesel fuel goes down ($.30 drop last week where I fill up). Hold on to your truck at least until the price of diesels is where it should be, even if you decide to sell it. Besides, what would you get?
You are driving the best diesel on the road.

Good luck

Old 07-29-2008, 12:29 PM
rebelchevy02
Posting Guru
rebelchevy02 has a very good reputation on FTE.rebelchevy02 has a very good reputation on FTE.rebelchevy02 has a very good reputation on FTE.rebelchevy02 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by HKusp View Post
I agree with every word of this right here except for the retirement part.. Find out what is "shot" and go from there.
Trust me, its not that I want to retire it, but in another 3 years, and 100k miles, Im certain the underside of the cab will be in really rough shape. PennDot is doing their finest to keep their promise to auto manufacturers, to not let cars last long. (the calcium/road salt is eating my truck up on the bottom)

Old 07-29-2008, 12:57 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.
Me personally Mike, i would get the rear changed out. You got all that preventitive maintaince in her now, just a bummer the rear went. Better than a truck payment and i know about the pendot salt and calcium, brutal on the underneath, good luck....

Old 07-29-2008, 01:09 PM
empiretc
Post Fiend
empiretc is a splendid one to beholdempiretc is a splendid one to beholdempiretc is a splendid one to beholdempiretc is a splendid one to beholdempiretc is a splendid one to beholdempiretc is a splendid one to behold
i ended up spending some $$ just a few months after i got my truck. A/C, tranny, tires and then the brakes & rotors. It was a good chunk of change, but it has been almost problem free for a long while now.

I say ALMOST, cuz there is no cure for PMS.

You already have quite a bit in it. Fix the rear end the right way, and then you know what you have. It will be a reliable sled for a good while.

Old 07-29-2008, 02:07 PM
chrissknr
Freshman User
chrissknr is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have a 2000 F350 and several months ago i had a serious failure in the rear axle, i considered a salvaged rear but found a rebuid kit through yukon gear and axle company for a whole new ring and pinion gear seal and bearing set with alot of other option including ball joints, wheel seal and so on i think i paid just over 700 dollars or so. the rear gears are alot of work but it was well worth it. something to consider look at rebiuld kits and see what you can come across.

Old 07-29-2008, 02:09 PM
willeo6709
Elder User
willeo6709 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.willeo6709 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
only reason I would consider trading it would be another 7.3L truck for less in trade than the differential repair. The unknowns of a different truck could see the same repairs again. Otherwise, you are over the hump.....fix it and drive another 200K. High mileage 6.0's are too much of an unknown...some have seen problems past 100k. The 6.4 is too new for much service history.

Old 07-29-2008, 02:14 PM
AustinS
Posting Guru
AustinS is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.AustinS is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Fix it.

Austin

Old 07-29-2008, 02:23 PM
totin_tools
Elder User
totin_tools is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Well I took my truck to a driveline place and they said 250 if I pull the rear out, and 450 to leave it in. Of course this was only labor. So they said bearings and stuff for about 1000 out the door. Need to look at some other options, if you have a commuter to drive let it sit and shop around.

Old 07-29-2008, 02:26 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Post Fiend
CampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by rebelchevy02 View Post

I replace rear spindles on pickups, and semi's all the time. It's what I do for a living. Axle Surgeons is a national company. I'll admit, some don't promote doing spindles on pickups, but we do. Just did an 07 F-350 at All-State Ford in Louisville last week.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.