1997 F-250 cams with D-slots

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 09:09 AM
duane v
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1997 F-250 cams with D-slots

Hi everyone!!! I thought I should introduce myself first before I ask for help... My name is Duane and I own nothing but fords (five of them)

Anywhoo, my pal had a head gasket go bad on him, so he had the heads sent out so-on and so-fourth.

We took the timing chains and the and crank sprocket off, with exception of the driver-side crank sprocket (it was frozen on the crank snout) but no biggie, I painted timing marks on everything (chains and sprockets).....

Well my buddie started cleaning the the front of the block with carb cleaner and erased one painted timing mark on the crank d-side crank sprocket, and before I could stop him, he had finished cleaning the d-side timing chain and cam sprocket leaving him with know orientation marks for the driver side cam.....

I've timed quite a few 4.6 DOHC & SOHC, but none with the press-on cam sprocket and with D-slots..... This model / year of cam uses a different D-slot alignment adapter, so it made my cam alignment tools useless to set these type of cams...Basically I go home, so I can order some D-slot adapters (which I still cant find)... and my pal calls me and tells me he's got everything timed....

I go back to his house, and I told him something don't look right. The driver-side cam is off a tooth, and we started arguing a little because the d-side and p-side cam D-slots don't match when the #1 piston is at TDC (see the pic that I sketched).... Basically he didn't want me to rotate the d-side cam one tooth to match the p-side cam. He felt if the cam timing was off one tooth there would be PTV.... I told him that wasn't true... One cam can be off one tooth and the engine will fire right up, and actually run and idle half way decent, but it will be down on power..... he just rolled his eyes at me and continued finishing on buttoning up the motor to get it ready.

Well we fired up the motor yesterday, and it started fine, no more CEL so he was happy, however when he put a load on the motor and took it for a drive he noticed a little shake from 700 to 2000 rpm, and he said it felt like it was noticeably down on power.... I drove it and told him, the cam timing is off, and his shoulders just went soft, and he finally gave in to the fact the d-side cam is off a tooth.

I told him I could rotate the d-side cam clockwise just one tooth without taking off the timing cover, but I really want to get the d-slot cam alignment adapters for that cam type to show him what I'm talking about, and to ensure the cams are straight up when the #1 is at TDC..... Any help with those special cam alignment adapters would be great..... thanx for listening