General Automotive Discussion

Who drives straight truck??

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 03:30 PM
385seriesHemi
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up Who drives straight truck??

I have decided to Go for my Class B license this coming fall for now if possible. As of now I know I wont be driving for any company anytime soon (I just want have my class B for a back up when lookin for a job besides a wrenchin' position) but Just thought I would see what others think about it. I drove a few rigs at school (I am going through a Diesel mechanic program) which was fun.I was wondering, who all does drive and do you enjoy it?

Old 07-25-2008, 06:17 PM
55 f350
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
drove over the road and locally for many years in tractor trailers .been pushing the overgrown pickup trucks around for the last 9 running the mail . it's like any other job when you really come down to it . it can be fun , it can be a headache . just depends on you . personally i always have and always will love driving truck . i miss seeing all the different places otr , but i dont miss the long hours , weeks and months .

Old 07-25-2008, 06:25 PM
ghunt
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We have a '96 Ford F-800 flatbed at my work, nothing special...20' flatbed, air brakes, etc.

We have a guy that drives it most of the time, although he only has a class E endorsement on his license. I've driven it a couple times myself, it's easy to drive, but there's a lot of noise and engine vibration that comes through into the cabin (it has no sound insulation that I can tell). Also, the gas pedal feels like it's directly attached to the engine and it constantly vibrates, and after awhile your foot falls asleep.

Old 07-25-2008, 06:30 PM
rebocardo
Post Fiend
Well, from working at Ryder I saw very few straight trucks over 25,000 GVW. Maybe a reefer or two, but, that was it. How I look at it, large straight trucks are sort of a niche because where they use a straight truck is inner city type deliveries. They are not used for OTR, so when you drive one you end up in city traffic, which is not ideal.

If I was looking at a license, I would get a motorcycle license so I could work on bikes and ATVs.

Or better yet, a heavy equipment license so you can work and drive Houghs and that sort of thing. That pays very well though the market is depressed at the moment. Always possible to get into a construction or utility company as an operator AND mechanic that way. Many operators probably make a min. of $35 an hour.

Old 07-25-2008, 06:42 PM
dbrinkley81
New User
I drive a freightliner straight truck with a 52k gvw. I drive a regional route so I am home 6 out of seven nights a week. It is not bad. I enjoy it until i get into town. The nice thing is i get paid by the hour and other than the drive time I really only work about 2 hours a day and work a 50 hour week in four days. I love it and do not plan on leaving it any time soon.

Old 07-25-2008, 08:23 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,591 Likes on 1,296 Posts
Depends on what you are hauling. More stops, more work as in load/unload.

Got a couple of buddies driveing ready mix trucks. One guy was years on a lumber truck/trailer. Feels like a new man on the concrete rig, as the day does end at a fairly regular point vs. the never-ending days with the lumber truck at times.

Old 07-25-2008, 09:09 PM
LiftTech
Senior User
It depends on what type of straight truck you're talking about. We could be discussing anything from cement mixers or box trucks, to big flatbeds and dump trucks. Then there are truck cranes, concrete pumpers, and a ton of other variants on the type of truck you can drive with a Class B CDL.

I work for a forklift dealer. We've got two Kenworth flatbeds, one is a T-800 with a 60K GVW, tandem drive axles with an air lift tag, and a 25' flatbed. Basically a super- sized rollback wrecker. We also just got a Kenworth T-370 single axle with an air lift tag, and about a 15' rollback style flatbed. I love driving either one of them, especially the T-800. Even on rainy days, I like loading up, chaining everything down, and taking it where it has to go. It's just my 'thing'. Your mileage, however, may vary. It just depends on what you like doing. You may find it's boring beyond belief.

If you do decide to go for it, though, I'd advise you to skip the Class B CDL. Go ahead and get your Class A. Even if you spend most of your time driving straight trucks, having the Class A will open all sorts of possibilities. It costs the same amount of money to test and renew either one, so if at all possible for the the one that will let you drive anything with wheels on it.

Old 07-25-2008, 11:24 PM
jake00
FTE is my crack
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We've got 3 straight trucks,
a 14k lb mitsu fuso 16' flatbed
a 19k lb f550 16ft curtainside
a 33k lb int 4900 24ft curtianside

we deliver hardwood flooring

Old 07-25-2008, 11:35 PM
1979 Ford
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Spent some time driving signle axle and tandem dump, water and firetruck.

As far a quest for CDL I would honestly get the class A. You would have more options for driving.

Old 07-26-2008, 05:22 AM
wendell borror
Post Fiend
I drive straight truck with a 90' tree spade on the rear. We move large trees for people. The company is called Big Trees Inc. It's sorta cool moviny large trees instead of cutting them down. We can move trees up to 12" caliper and 30 feet tall. It's nice to be able to save tree's instead of destorying them. The root ball alone weighs 12,000 pounds, plus the weight of the tree it's self, our trucks are tandoms because of the weights involved. It's a satisfying job and I like it alot.

Old 07-26-2008, 07:00 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,101 Likes on 2,163 Posts
i second the class A license. if you are going to take the test, go all the way and get a class A the first time.
why get a class B now and then decide in a few years to upgrade.

Old 07-26-2008, 11:47 AM
385seriesHemi
Posting Guru
Yeah true about that getting the Class A license, but Since my business I have started is mainly mechanics and everything else related for big rigs n automotive. I figure the class B will be suitable enough since I would have to test drive some rigs for diagnoses at times. Thats why I mainly want the class B.

I deal with regular autos to race cars to kustom stuff but I dont count on hauling a 53 foot trailer behind me. But since the economy is not really booming from people being very cautious n spending and what-not that Class A comes back into the picture.

Old 07-26-2008, 12:52 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,101 Likes on 2,163 Posts
even if you do not plan on driving one, if you get a semi tractor in for repair without the trailer you will need a class A to test drive it.

Old 07-26-2008, 01:57 PM
385seriesHemi
Posting Guru
Yeah, I totally forgot about that one. Looks like I will be goin' for the A class license.

Old 07-26-2008, 02:07 PM
385seriesHemi
Posting Guru
I guess I was thinkin about only fixing a class B and smaller but I forgot even without a trailer the Class A is still a class A. Thanks everyone.

Quick Reply: Who drives straight truck??