Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

whole new exhaust questions

Old 07-23-2008, 07:46 AM
camccardell
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
whole new exhaust questions

I am in the market for a whole new exhaust for my 96 f150 5.8

I would like some long tubes, but I want to be able to use the egr valve. I found some pacesetters, but was wondering if anyone else made em?

Also A whole kit would be nice, otherwise I have to make my own Y pipe. I do not want to run duals, as I seriously doubt the cost and time would make any performance or economical gains.

Would it be better to run 2 high flow cats into a y pipe, or run them into a y pipe and then add the cat, like the stock exhaust?

It is a 4x4 so I am kinda concerned about the front driveshaft. I was thinking about running shorties, but no one sells the OEM replacement y pipe.

Any links or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Chris

Old 07-23-2008, 08:10 AM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 946 Likes on 751 Posts
Originally Posted by camccardell
I do not want to run duals, as I seriously doubt the cost and time would make any performance or economical gains.
I'm of the same opinion.. there's no performance gain over a well built single, and a single is easier to fit and costs less.

Originally Posted by camccardell
Would it be better to run 2 high flow cats into a y pipe, or run them into a y pipe and then add the cat, like the stock exhaust?
I have the Y running into a single 3" cat and then straight back through the muffler and tailpipe.. there is no room for a cat on the drivers side anyway. Have you seen my pics? I moved the muffler up behind the cat after these pics were taken, and it eliminated droning in the cab.
New Exhaust - a set on Flickr

Old 07-23-2008, 08:43 AM
camccardell
Senior User
very nice conanski. did you end up using the pacesetter egr headers or weld up your own egr tube? I was also wondering if you did your own welding or sent it all out?
I would like to do mine out of stainless and never again

Old 07-23-2008, 08:46 AM
camccardell
Senior User
btw, is that a stock vacuume resivor, or did you pull that from something else? I have that darn coffee can, and it loves to keep rusting out.

Old 07-23-2008, 09:18 AM
Conanski
FTE Legend
The vacuum resovoir is off a newer truck... my coffee can rusted out and plastic doesn't.

I welded the whole system myself, got a MIG and steel cutoff saw. This took a whole weekend to put together, I built it up from the headers 1 piece at a time, test fit and check for clearance, make necessary adjustments, weld and then do it again. The headers in the pics are Flowtechs, the EGR and O2 fittings were also welded on. These are now off the truck as I just pulled the motor.. and they were rusted out anyway. They lasted 5 years.. which is more than the last exhaust system lasted. I'm putting back another set of Flowtechs for now, but I'm going to be looking for something stainless when I put the 5.8 back in I think.

Old 07-23-2008, 09:30 AM
camccardell
Senior User
hi-tech is selling coated longtubes really cheap for our trucks, like 250 with the coating on them, just dunno if you could weld to them since they are creamic coated.

Old 07-23-2008, 09:30 AM
camccardell
Senior User
sorry, I meant JET-HOT not hi-tech
:P

Old 07-23-2008, 09:46 AM
Conanski
FTE Legend
The area where something is to be welded to the headers should be clean metal.. so the coating would need to be ground off at that spot. I had my headers coated after the fittings were welded on in this case.

Search this Thread