Sponsored by: DP Tuner

installing a Pioneer AVIC-D3 in my 2002 F250

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 12:42 AM
the goof
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
installing a Pioneer AVIC-D3 in my 2002 F250

First off Hello, i am new to the forum just upgraded to a 2002 F250 crew cab 4x4 7.3PSD. I am installing the Pioneer AVIC-D3 Nav system in my truck this week, any tips or help would be much apperciated.
Thanks Keith

Old 07-23-2008, 05:56 AM
WILDMAN_Stroker*7.3
Senior User
Welcome to the family, The FTE sight is the best place to aquire knowledge, and build friendships. Did you get the all in one setup are just the nav system.

Old 07-23-2008, 06:25 AM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
First off, did you get the Ford wiring harness adapter from Crutchfield? How about a Double-din faceplate adapter from Circuit city? I have a D3 in my truck.

Old 07-23-2008, 06:59 AM
the goof
New User
Yeah i got a wiring pigtail, and the all in one kit dvd,nav,cd...ect. i did not get a face plate, the player fills the whole area doesn't it?

Old 07-23-2008, 07:01 AM
the goof
New User
Where did you tie in your vss wire?

Old 07-23-2008, 07:48 AM
Fraalan
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I put in the z3 yesterday and I had to trim the fascia panel with a dremel.
There is a little space on each side at them moment but did not use the supplied face plate, yet.

Old 07-23-2008, 07:54 AM
Fraalan
Senior User
by the way I paid $4 on ebay for bypass instructions.

They are for the z1,2 and 3 but may apply for your unit.

PM me and I can email them to you.

Old 07-23-2008, 08:05 AM
the goof
New User
i don't know how to pm on this thread, i would like the instructions.

Old 07-23-2008, 08:48 AM
WILDMAN_Stroker*7.3
Senior User
Click on is name (Fraalan) in top left corner, drop down menu click on pm Fraalan. But I think you have to have 25 post count.

Old 07-23-2008, 08:51 AM
the goof
New User
Originally Posted by WILDMAN_Stroker*7.3
Click on is name (Fraalan) in top left corner, drop down menu click on pm Fraalan. But I think you have to have 25 post count.
I think your right, I don't have that option yet. i fairly good with computers and i was hoping I was not that stupid.

Old 07-23-2008, 09:28 AM
Fraalan
Senior User
just email me at my name @hotmail.com

Old 07-23-2008, 01:45 PM
stangclassic66
Senior User
Visit the Avic411.com forum site and search for other guys who've installed the D3 in any Ford F-series.

For our trucks the dimmer is NOT on the factory radio harness, at least you can't use that one. You have to use the dimmer wire at the headlight switch on the left. Avic411.com will confirm the wire color but I believe it's the brown one. Then the VSS wire needs to be tapped into the grey wire with black tracer, again confirm on avic411.com forums. This wire can be taken from the harness at the passenger side kick panel.

The handbrake and reverse wires just needs to be grounded for the dvd hack. Again confirm on avic411.

Oh, you need to take a dremel to the bezel. I advise you take the whole bezel frame off the truck and do it outside. A double din aftermarket faceplate at a stereo shop should be what you need. It looks way better with a faceplate bezel after you've grinded the truck's bezel to accept double din. As it sits now the Ford factory stereo is only 1.5 or 1.8 din.

It really is a simple install but I would set aside 2-5 hrs depending on your level of experience. The pigtail harness makes the job very easy. Oh almost forgot. I mounted my GPS antenna right smack dab on the center of the dash where the dash meets the windshield. There is a little plastic cover at that point in the dash. Pry the cover off with a flathead screwdriver. No need to remove the bolt. Take the end of the gps antenna wire and fish it down the dash and find it at the bottom of the dashboard and run it to the head unit. Zip tie the excess wire for cleanliness. Replace the plastic cap and take some double sided tape and tape the antenna to the plastic cap. DONE! I was skeptical about accessing all GPS satellites but I get strong signals from all SATs. No need to worry about wire fraying on the door, or drilling a hole in the truck, etc. etc.

Old 07-23-2008, 04:19 PM
Fraalan
Senior User
Did you hook up the rear camera>?

I was wondering where to hook up the reverse sensor so it automatically turns on.

and thanks for the website, lots of good info there.

Old 07-23-2008, 08:37 PM
totin_tools
Elder User
Just push the map button and then select the rear camera.

Old 07-24-2008, 12:00 AM
the goof
New User
I started and finished the install today... its been a bit since i've messed with the radio crap, but after finding all the hook-ups i (vss, back-up) it wasn't bad.
The install i did was on my Ford F250 4X4 Crewcab 7.3PSD auto. It is the pioneer avic-d3 with the bluetooth box.
I did not want to by-pass the reverse wire due to the fact that it ties in with GPS and if I wanted to hook-up a camera later i can. I did however do the e-brake bypass mod, and so far works fine.
As for where i hooked up to everything, The vss wire I found on the engine side of the drivers side fire wall in the red taped wire bundle, The PCM I think is actually inside the L/H front fender and the wire is Gray with a black strip (avic411.com helped out with alot of good info). The reverse wire I found underneath the cab in the frame rail this was a black wire with a purple strip (I verified with a meter and would suggest doing the same) both vss and reverse wires I ran through the firewall's existing rubber harness seal.
I did the bypass mod as suggested at avic411.com, move the mute wire on the pioneer harness up one, and ground the park brake wire.
As for the bluetooth i installed it on the park brake box.

I will be adding pictures of the detailed install soon. If you have anymore questions please let me know. Thanks Keith

Quick Reply: installing a Pioneer AVIC-D3 in my 2002 F250