Lightning, Harley-Davidson F-150, Roush F-150 & Saleen F-150 SVT Ford F150 Lightning, Roush, Saleen and other performance F150's

had a tune up, shakes like crazy

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 01:36 PM
Raider50
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
had a tune up, shakes like crazy

We took our 05' f150 nonintercooled roush to the local auto shop for a tune up, once we got it back it shakes like a dog *****ing razor blades. They ran the codes and it didnt pull any, its messed up enough that to keep it from shaking to bad at a stop light we need to put it in neutral. It seems like it is running hot(as in much stronger than before), but maybe it is just the tune up. Any suggestions on where i should start looking? With out any codes i am stumped.

Old 08-08-2008, 05:22 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Tune up? Modern cars and trucks don't need a tune up, its a huge con. All OBDII cars (99% of them) since 1996 adjust timing and fuel as needed and Ford F150s since 1997. Spark plug wires... there aren't even those to replace in an F150. The only thing that ever needs to be done is changing the air filter and spark plugs. Chances are they put in HT1 plugs instead of the HT0 plugs the supercharger requires (local shops don't carry them, only certain Ford dealers that handle supercharged Fords and special order shops). Sounds like this shop messed up big time and most likey some grease monkey just went with what the book said and dropped in the HT1 plugs listed for these trucks. You need to make sure its got HT0s in there (it says it on the side of the plug porcelan) and get the wrong plugs out immediately.

With the wrong plugs in the cylinders can get scored, rings damaged or even worse you can end up gernading a piston.

Never take one of these trucks to a standard shop or dealership. Only go to a speed shop that knows Roush superchargers or a Roush authorized Ford dealer (and not all of them are good either).

Old 08-10-2008, 06:37 PM
Raider50
Elder User
we are taking it to the nearest roush dealership(they are great bought 3 trucks from them), and i think they did put in the wrong plugs. we are going to haul it up there its about a 2 hour drive and with what you told me it only sounds resonable to

Old 08-10-2008, 06:50 PM
Silver Streak
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Modern cars and trucks DO need a tune up, but the only thing that entails is changing the plugs about 75% of the time. Calling tune ups in general a huge con is very misleading.

I'd be looking for an unplugged coil or injector if you hadn't said it was running stronger than before. If it only does it at idle check for a vacuum line that got knocked or left off during the tune up.

Old 08-10-2008, 06:57 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
I had a Roush dealership put in the wrong plugs in my truck.... I didn't get home before I turned back around with the same problem. They insisted the HT1s were the correct plug, but refunded my money after I called the tech I know at Roush and got him to correct them. I went home and changed them myself to the proper plugs. For me it was only a 10 mile drive, and I took it very slow and easy (no boost on my boost gauge). People must have thought I was a grandpa the way I drove it home.

I've changed plugs on newer F150s enough that its an easy job for me, I can do it in about an hour. I gapped my plugs down to 38 (normally HT0s are gapped at 42). They hold up a lot longer without fouling with 38 but gapped them is a PIA because these plugs aren't designed to be gapped.

I'm sticking with the other local Roush dealer (Gwinnett Place) from now on... they have more experience with them. However, you'll find that even the better one's (such as Gwinnett Place) don't know the trucks as well as they do the Mustangs. Gwinnett Place thought my Troyer Performance e-fan kit was a Roush part and replaced a blown relay "under warranty" for free while doing recall work on something else! Roush doesn't have an e-fan kit!

Old 08-10-2008, 07:25 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Silver Streak
Modern cars and trucks DO need a tune up, but the only thing that entails is changing the plugs about 75% of the time. Calling tune ups in general a huge con is very misleading.
A "tune up" is replacing the spark plugs, replacing points if applicable, adjusting dwell, idle mixture, timing adjustment, idle speed adjustment, checking the air filter and running mixture.

What do they need the other 25% of the time? Fuel filter? That's not a tune-up, that's regular unrelated maintenance. Replace a coil? That's not a tune-up, that's a failed part. Timing...? Computer does that. O2 sensors? That's a high mileage replacement that only needs replacement when it fails. Idle speed? Computer does that, and if idle is wrong its not a tune up but an indication something is wrong. Anything like these are not tune-up items, and the bill will reflect them as additional charges.

You won't even find the words "tune up", ignition, timing, idle, mixture, or speed (except where they mention how fast you drive) in Ford's scheduled maintence book. If you take it in for a "tune-up" they'll often give this fancy report about the idle speed, timing, a/f... with notes that the computer basically kept the vehicle in tune.

The one thing Ford recommends on a regular basis is "multi-point" inspection, and its all about coolant, coolant hoses, oil, etc.

Old 08-11-2008, 07:50 AM
Silver Streak
Postmaster
Originally Posted by FTE Ken
What do they need the other 25% of the time?
On the F-series they often need coil boots, the injectors cleaned, or the intake decarboned. You won't find any of that in the Ford scheduled maintenance either, and most people will tell you they never need the intake or injectors cleaned, but they sure run better if you do.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:11 AM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
I don't consider those to be "tune up" items, when you consider what a tune up has meant since vehicles were first made. The items you pointed out would be like cleaning the carburator, intake housing and intake manifold, and changing spark plug boots on an older car... not things done during a tune-up.

We'll just chaulk this up to a difference of opinion. I stand by my words that "tune up" is a con-term now, the companies which traditionally could count on tune-up income need an excuse to drag people in on a regular schedule.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:51 AM
Silver Streak
Postmaster
So you think when someone comes through the door asking for a tune up we should turn them away because we don't do that any more?

Old 08-11-2008, 07:34 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Why not tell them new vehicles don't need tune-ups, but you can offer XZY? You've just educated them, it took all of 10 seconds and earned their trust. If I found I paid for a service that wasn't needed... I'd find a new place for service. Its like all the oil places telling people to change their oil at 3000 miles when that outdated model is no longer recommended by Ford.

Old 08-12-2008, 01:47 PM
Silver Streak
Postmaster
I wish we had customers that would respond to that sort of thing. Unfortunately they usually think they know it all and any attempt at educating them is a waste of time.

Old 10-15-2008, 10:53 PM
Raider50
Elder User
hey, sorry it has taken me so long to get back to this place but football takes over my life, its wake up, school, football, dinner, sleep, start all over again. lol Well it all turns out the local shop changed the fuilds in the truck(well kind of anyways). It made the trip just fine, however once it got to billings it nearly died at the stop light infront of the dealership. I turned it off and when they started it to take it into the shop it blew out a cloud of white smoke. But long story medium length, it pulled like 10 codes, they were clueless how to fix it because all of the codes were unrealting. So they replaced all of the fluids and what not, it had 2 times the normal oil level in it. So it shook so bad because it couldnt move that high volume of oil. Yah super dissapointed in the local shop, they didnt drain any of the oil all they did was add to it. The dealership called the local shop and got them to pay for it tho . They were predicting that the motor is going to need rebuilt within the next year because of how much use the truck gets. I am just hoping its mine instead of my dads by then so he can pay for the rebuild and i get to chose the parts

Old 10-18-2008, 07:15 AM
ckirwan514
Senior User
there is a ford speed shop in lawrenceville ga they take care of several raceing mustangs and several lighting trucks. they are the best shop i have ever dealt with. their name is gunter automotive tel# 770-962-1380. they also build racing ford motors with super chargers and turbos they under stand hot fords.