6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

New article on 6.7 Scorpion.

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 03:51 PM
JIM_C
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They need better emissions technology. The emissions junk is what breaks and that screws up other expensive parts (except maybe for clogged oil coolers leading to EGR cooler failure). If it's expensive, but works, that's cheaper than several warranty claims for less expensive crap that breaks AND lost market share of piffed off owners who buy something else.

Old 12-02-2008, 04:57 PM
cartmanea
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Lower RPM power band, simpler design (which tends to be more reliable). A V10 diesel would be great if they were designing a race truck, but they need to design a truck to work like most people who buy these trucks need. Really what they should do is contract engines from Cummins, problem solved.

Old 12-02-2008, 05:43 PM
origcharger
Posting Guru
They should build 2 inline 4s sharing a common crankcase.

Old 12-02-2008, 06:09 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by cartmanea
Lower RPM power band, simpler design (which tends to be more reliable). A V10 diesel would be great if they were designing a race truck, but they need to design a truck to work like most people who buy these trucks need. Really what they should do is contract engines from Cummins, problem solved.
Thats bullcrap, you should know that. The *ONLY* thing that makes most inline 6s have more low end torque is that most of them have a longer stroke then bore. You make a long stroke V8 with a smaller bore, and it will too have gobs of low end. International's version of the 6.4 makes its peak torque of 620 ft-lbs@1400 RPM. The amount of cylinders and how they are arranged means nothing. Freight trains often use V16 and V12 diesels, so going by your logic they should be 6000 RPM screamers right? No. They make peak HORSEPOWER at around 850 RPM

Old 12-02-2008, 07:29 PM
cartmanea
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Lead Head
Freight trains often use V16 and V12 diesels, so going by your logic they should be 6000 RPM screamers right? No. They make peak HORSEPOWER at around 850 RPM
Thats not even a fair example, those engines have HUGE displacement. Given the same displacement, more cylinders means less low end. Designers generally keep the bore and stroke relatively square, so in a standard engine design, fewer cylinders means a longer stroke.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:39 PM
tjthegreat
Elder User
less cylinders less problems

Old 12-02-2008, 08:05 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Thats not even a fair example, those engines have HUGE displacement. Given the same displacement, more cylinders means less low end. Designers generally keep the bore and stroke relatively square, so in a standard engine design, fewer cylinders means a longer stroke.
Glad you skipped right over the part about the International MaxxForce (6.4) making 620 ft-lbs @ 1400 RPM. The 6.7 Cummins, which has a displacement advantage generates 650 ft-lbs of torque @ 1500 RPM.

So the 6.4 has less displacement, more cylinders but just as much low end. Now the tune for ford makes significantly more HP and 20 ft-lbs more torque, but at 2000 RPM. Of course this does not tell the whole story because I do not have a Power curve of the Ford 6.4.

Old 12-02-2008, 10:34 PM
cartmanea
Lead Driver
Different cams different fueling tables. Don't just show one example and ASSume they all fit that trend.

Old 12-03-2008, 08:13 AM
mizzitch
Elder User
Originally Posted by Lead Head
Thats bullcrap, you should know that. The *ONLY* thing that makes most inline 6s have more low end torque is that most of them have a longer stroke then bore. You make a long stroke V8 with a smaller bore, and it will too have gobs of low end. International's version of the 6.4 makes its peak torque of 620 ft-lbs@1400 RPM. The amount of cylinders and how they are arranged means nothing. Freight trains often use V16 and V12 diesels, so going by your logic they should be 6000 RPM screamers right? No. They make peak HORSEPOWER at around 850 RPM
The typical v10 makes more torque at lower rpm than an equivalent v8. Given the choice I would prefer the 72 degree firing of a v10 over the 90 deg of a V8.

Old 12-03-2008, 02:12 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Different cams different fueling tables. Don't just show one example and ASSume they all fit that trend.
Ford V10, same stroke and bore as the 5.4, Makes peak torque 500 RPM lower then the 5.4, makes peak HP 250 RPM lower. Same thing with the old Dodge Ram V10, essentially a 360 with two more cylinders tacked on, made peak torque over 1000 RPM lower then the 360. Back in the late 80 dodge had a 2.2L 4 cyl turbo that made peak torque @ 2400 RPM. The Audi R10 TDI 5.5 Liter V12 Turbo-Diesel RACE CAR generates 811 lb-ft of torque just above idle! Configurations of the cylinder means nothing in terms of power band.

Old 12-18-2008, 09:04 PM
kotarbi
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No aluminum heads please

The problem with aluminum heads is that its a disimilar metal from the block so the expansion rate is different. After thousands of cooling and heat cycles with the aluminum expanding and contracting faster than the block it can lead to earlier failures than what the typical diesel owner is used to. My local machine shop sees more of these failures with the Duramax than the other brands. I've seen this problem with gas engines also. It's not as bad as it used to be due to better gasket material but it's still a problem. I'm all for a simpler inline design. Less moving parts. I would think it would be cheaper to build? Easier to service. I love my Cummins but wish everyday I could drop my engine in a new Ford. There is just not enough piece of mind for me to buy a new Ford Diesel. I'm not made of money so I have to buy whats the most economical for me.

Old 01-02-2009, 09:11 PM
duramaximizer
Posting Guru
Sorry, dude I call BS.

Unless your local machine shop is haisley (or a performance machine shop), I bet your local ford dealer does twice as many head gaskets on ford diesels than any machine shop does on a duramax.

Old 01-04-2009, 04:49 AM
150ford
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I call BS on that as well duramaximizer. Unless you have actual numbers nobody really know for sure. Duramaxes are far from perfect like any other truck.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:05 PM
HoseDog
Senior User
Originally Posted by PowerStrokeHD
The hood does come over the top of the grill. The grill is not attached to the hood like the current 08's...
They still haven't inverted the headlight assy. Looks like it's nappin'.

Old 03-16-2009, 03:26 PM
poppie
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by duramaximizer
Sorry, dude I call BS.

Unless your local machine shop is haisley (or a performance machine shop), I bet your local ford dealer does twice as many head gaskets on ford diesels than any machine shop does on a duramax.
-----------------Here's the issue with the 6.0,may be the same with the 6.4,stay with this video past the valve talk and get too the head bolt's , YouTube - 6.0 vs 7.3 POWERSTROKE FORD DIESEL 6 OF 6 , this say's a lot about IHC.

Quick Reply: New article on 6.7 Scorpion.