1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

problems with engine f250 7.3 V8 diesel

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 10:03 AM
boyler
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
problems with engine f250 7.3 V8 diesel

hello this is my first post here ( I hope not last heheh - sorry for my english language I am still learning)
I bought 2001-ford f250 7,3 v8 diesel and I have got a big problem.
I can't start the engine. The last time when the car was running were
6 months ago. I think that the problem is with bleeding the fuel system-an air inside fuel system-what is the best way to make it right?
another thing is that the starter motor runs too slowly and discharges batteries within two minutes
why?

thank you for any help

Old 07-22-2008, 10:27 AM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Welcome to FTE. Your English is fine so far. The batteries will drain quickly because the 7.3 is a high compression motor that takes a lot of power to turn over. I hope you've added some sort of fuel conditioner before you let the truck sit for 6 months.

Now to address your problem, first you need to load test your batteries individually. Weak batteries will spin the motor at a rate that sounds fast enough to start, but it won't start. The computer must see a minimum of 10.5 volts while cranking to tell the injectors to fire.

Since the truck has been sitting so long, I would recommend you pull the lid off the fuel filter and make sure it's full of fuel. Rotate the yellow handle behind the bowl and drain out any water that may be in the bottom, replace the lid, then cycle the key on (but don't try and start) a couple of times. Then check the oil level in the HPOP (high pressuer oil pump) reservoir to make sure it hasn't drained down. This is the same motor oil that your engine uses, and it needs to be within 3/4" to 1" from the top. If the oil is low the truck will not start. The HPOP has an inspection plug on top of it that can be removed with a torx bit (or sometimes an allen wrench). Make sure you replace the plug and tighten it before you try and restart.

Also, we have a section here dedicated to the 99 - 03 7.3 motors located a little further down the forum listing. You can read up on these motors and ask your engine questions there https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...182195.520.390

Old 07-23-2008, 01:24 PM
boyler
New User
thank you for all advice
I' ve done everything what you said, and the engine still doesn't want to start.
I' ve changed the starter for a new one, and now motor spins faster but after a few minutes batteries are dead.
If the cooling fluid level is below minimum, the truck will not start?
Another thing is that I notice the error all the time:
B 1352 - IGNITION KEY IN - CIRCUIT FAILURE
I can delete it but after any attempt of starting the engine the error pops up again
What do you think about it
????

Old 07-23-2008, 02:02 PM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Like Chris said. Your batteries must be at full charge to start this engine. If your batts are going down in just a few mins. You need to replace both batts. You fail to understand how important the batts are to start the 7.3.

Old 07-25-2008, 11:34 AM
boyler
New User
today I bought brand new batteries, and nothing.....
I really, really dont know whats wrong

Old 07-25-2008, 01:12 PM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ok, Batts good. Check all the fuses in the fuse boxes. Check # 30 to see if that fuse is blown. When you turn the key on do you hear the fuel pump for a few seconds? The pump is right below the drivers seat on the frame rail. Check these things out and let us know.

Old 07-25-2008, 01:33 PM
cathycraig
New User
Hi, kinda sorta the same situation here...we have a 97 F350, and it wont start. Been through everything, this is what we have been told by ford...there is a Fuel Pressure Control Regulator that WILL NOT let the truck start if it is out. Which ours is, only thing is you can only get the part from Ford, or at least they say that. If you know of any other place to purchase one of those animals,, please let me know!!

Cathy

Old 09-24-2008, 06:00 PM
boyler
New User
Hi, everybody after a long time heh Its funny but my ford is still not running, earlier I was seriously busy at work, but now before winter I have to do something with my F250. So, new batteries, brand new starter, new fuel pump, fuses ok and still nothing
I really dont know whats going on. What I should do ? Throw that car to a river? Or burn it?
How can I chceck that injectors are running? How can I check the engine compression?????
many thanks for any advice

Old 09-24-2008, 08:29 PM
manofberry1956
New User
if you can find are bring it to some that has a good scan tool . look for injecter oil presure at cranking if it not up to 600 pounds are better engine wont start.

Old 09-24-2008, 08:48 PM
brickie
Cargo Master
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Have you drained the water seperator?

Old 09-24-2008, 08:51 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
How did you pull the B1352 code? Do you have a scanner that can monitor live data, or just pull codes.

Where has the truck been sitting? Is there a possibility that any rodents have chewed some wires? When you crank the truck, do you see any signs of smoke out of the exhaust pipe? If so, what color is it? Have you verified there is fuel in the fuel filter bowl?

You can check compression by removing the valve covers, removing the glow plug, and with an adapter that is long enough to clear the rocker arms, check your compression that way.

If you can monitor live data, check ICP psi, IPR duty %, fuel pulse width, PCM voltage, and whatever else might sound relevant.

Old 10-01-2008, 10:38 AM
boyler
New User
Hi guys,
ther mst be something wrong with my truck, because there's no such fuse marked as nr 30! Could it be placed somwhere else than others?
After changing all the mantioned parts (battery etc.) car sound eager to start, but only with one cylinder.
The smoke from exhaust pipe has a grey colour.
The devide used to check the codes is called LUNCH.
What about bleeding the fuel system? How can i do it?

Old 10-01-2008, 01:15 PM
84-250
Posting Guru
grey/white smoke is good. It means you got fuel, your injectors are firing. The fuel system is self bleeding.

what is the outside temperature?
have you checked the glowplugs and relay?

Old 10-08-2008, 12:25 PM
boyler
New User
Today mechanic plugged my Ford to a scanner that can monitor live data and while trying to start the engine on the computer is a message: "secondary low pressure pump" its normal?
its not an error? the ecu doesnt remeber it

another thing is that what parameters should have a fuel pump? I mean pressure efficiency etc
Does any fuel pump from antoher cars fits to mine?

Old 10-08-2008, 08:26 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
You have 2 oil pumps in the truck. The regular oil pump that supplies oil to the motor parts is the LPOP (low pressure oil pump). The other oil pump takes oil from the LPOP and builds it up to high pressure, and sends this oil to the rails in the head to fire the injectors. This is the HPOP (high pressure oil pump). I've never played with the Ford scan tool, but it sounds to me like they're reading a low ICP (injection control pressure) which would be from the HPOP. Make sure there's oil in the reservoir pictured above, then before replacing the HPOP try unplugging the ICP sensor to see if the truck will start with it unplugged. Where they able to monitor IPR (injection pressure regulator) duty cycle when the did their test? The IPR is what helps build the oil pressure in the HPOP. I'd hate to see you pay for a new pump because the IPR was sticking.

You need a minimum of 45 psi (310 kpa) of fuel pressure for the truck to run properly. It does better around the 60 psi range, but starts having issues above 70 psi on some trucks.

If your English isn't enough to understand anything let me know. Either I'll try to explain it differently or someone else may have a simpler way of putting it.

Quick Reply: problems with engine f250 7.3 V8 diesel